North Cyprus Tourist Board - Refused temporary residency on the basis of being TOO YOUNG at 34????
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Refused temporary residency on the basis of being TOO YOUNG at 34????

Refused temporary residency on the basis of being TOO YOUNG at 34????

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Residence Permits

» Read about Work Permits

ozankoymum

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 13:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 38 in Discussion

Yesterday was my 2nd visit to apply for my first temp residency.

I went along to the police station last week with everything needed to ask for the forms to go along for my medical. The woman looked at my passport, tenancy and bank statements and asked what my husband does.

I explained he is an engineer working in Dubai and works away 4 weeks at a time.

She flatly said I am too young and my husband doesnt spend enough time in the country for ME to apply for temp residency!!!!!!

She told me to go to Lefkosia and ask them for permission to apply. In lefkosia they had no idea why I had been sent there.

I returned back to the police station and explained what they had said in Lefkosia and she appartently spoke to the head of immigration, who confirmed what she said.

They refused to even process my application before the medical stage!!!!

We both have perfectly clean criminal records. has anyone else had this obsurd experience???

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 13:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 38 in Discussion

This sort of thing goes on all the time. Did you have a Turkish speaker with you?

ozankoymum

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 13:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 38 in Discussion

I took my friend the 2nd time who speaks quite good turkish, but the 'helpers' were speaking very good english to us anyway,

after the main converstion and checking all my husbands flights in and out (which correspondeds with his job) she simply turned away from me and refused to even acknowledge that I was talking to her and continued to ignore me until I left.

Maybe it provided a crash course into why this is not a good country to invest your hard earned money.

negativenick

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 14:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 38 in Discussion

you've been to the "top of the tree", ie the lady who is head of imigration and if she has turned you down, that's it....

Friend had a similar experience and was basically told to feck off....

Apparently they are not looking for "young" people to have temp residency as they are worried about illegal working....

The comment of what do we do know got the "Cyprus shrug".....

suddenly i'm glad to be an old wrinklie....

Brinsley

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 14:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 38 in Discussion

I heard of a similar case 4/5 years ago and if memory serves me correct the cut off point is 40, the rational behind it was to stop wealthy parents buying numerous properties/land and putting title in family members names. No consolation for you I'm afraid.

Richard

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 15:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 38 in Discussion

Try applying with your husband at the same time. They understand the concept of "supported" women, it's single ones they're afraid of.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 15:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 38 in Discussion

Same thing has happened to my next door .They were refused the permit on the base that "they were not married"

Got it sorted now,after few weeks of to and fro(ing) to nicosia,knocking on few other doors and speaking to every Tom,dick and harry

My expirience says "dont give up",they'll soon get "fed up"and "give up"

proger1

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 15:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 38 in Discussion

Sorry to hear about that Ozankoymum, I was hoping you would be able to advise us on what to do at least thats what I told your hubby. I hope the statements about try and try again turn out to be true.

Paul

Stubs

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 16:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 38 in Discussion

Hosgeldiniz Kibris !!!!!

NatAless

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 16:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 38 in Discussion

I spoke 2 a chief at Lefkoşa police 'Yuksel' who called the office where they give out the tickets for residency & he was furious (I was with my Turkish fiance who has a work permit here & later translated everything) I went back to the private office of a friend of his who looked at my case, still no joy. I had done my medical etc (because Yuksel told Girne police on the phone 2 process my application) they said I was too young, had not bought a property, didn't have enough funds & should work. I have now transferred more substantial funds & may try again but I went mad at the staff at the immigration office saying why was I not welcome? Am just trying to do things properly as my initial 90 day Visa was running out & it's my business if I chose not to work-have they tried looking for a decent job here with basic Turkish? Or buy a place & get no deeds?! I might not bother going back, a short trip to Turkey every 90 days is pleasant anyway & a way to get round this joke of a 'syste

Geoff

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 16:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 38 in Discussion

So what age are you??

NatAless

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 16:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 38 in Discussion

I am under 40! But I think it's disgusting that they treat you this way, I wonder what Turkish Cypriots would feel if the same ridiculous ageist rules applied for them moving to England! No other country does this!

Once we have made and saved some more money out of this island we are going straight back to Turkey & I can't wait! Everything is so much more straight forward! The only good thing here (apart from the sun, lifestyle etc) are the banks interest rates and higher wages!

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 16:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 38 in Discussion

Dear Nat

re msg

>>No other country does this<<

Try moving to ( say) Oz if you are over 40 .. you qualify on points.. age is a factor.. but in Oz it counts FOR you ;)

If you are a non EU citizen trying to live in the UK, you will find it VERY hard to apply to live here, unless you have a huge income and or a UK/ EU partner !

Brinsley

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 16:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 38 in Discussion

So there is a little benefit of being old, not allowed to join the Beach Party listed on another posting however, can buy property and be a temporary visitor! Fantastic!!!

Richard

NatAless

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 17:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 38 in Discussion

Yes age could be A factor but never heard of it being THE factor & where Young people are not welcome!!!

For Cyprus Turkish people it is much easier to go/move to the UK than Turkish mainland & London is full of businesses run by TCs!

Anyway this is going off topic, just wanted to share my experience as another young person refused residency here but as I said I just go to Turkey & when I come back I always get a 90 day stamp no questions asked if they do ask next time I will tell them 'I currently live here but don't have residency because your immigration department has decided I am too young to live in North Cyprus'!

Natx

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 17:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 38 in Discussion

dear Brinsley

Thank you for being on this forum

Its nice to know that "someone else has a sense of humour"

Please keep it rolling

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 17:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 38 in Discussion

Hi Nat,

re msg 15

In a "normal" "country" .. Cyprus is surreal ( IMHO) when you live a country - you have to stay *away* for a certain period of time..

Apparently, crossing over to the "rump" RoC isn't " leaving the country "

It's all bizarre... it seems that Cypriot Immigration ( TC/GC) have more in common than you'd realise..

At least in the "rump" RoC we can go to the EU.. :(

wanderer

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 17:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 38 in Discussion

For residency there is a requirement for a health screening

The reason is probably based on what under 40's can do i.e produce children which are expensive for the state .

Example EU citizen living with mum in law in the UK 3 children UK supports with healthcare state support schools and family allowance husband has returned to his EU homeland and is living with his new girlfriend.

The above comment is not a justification for the TRNC just a thought

The second comment shows how mad the EU is for the UK

Brinsley

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 17:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 38 in Discussion

Msg 15

I wouldn't, upset them and they'll whack a 30 day visa pass on your passport.

Richard

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 17:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 38 in Discussion

Brinsley

Or put her on next plane at own expense

Seen it done

Brinsley

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 17:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 38 in Discussion

wanderer

You are absolutely right, men over 40 cannot produce children however, they can as sure as hell instigate them!

Richard

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 17:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 38 in Discussion

Dear NATaLES

All jokes aside,there are alot of mainland turks on the island in same situation like yours

I'd find myself a job, where an employer would get my work permit.Alot of employers do that for their staff when they bring them over from turkey.Then it'd be much easeir for you to gain your residency

And thats an advice from a cypriot

crofter

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 17:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 38 in Discussion

Just a thought - why not bypass Girne Polis station and go straight to Lefkosa to apply with your husband?

Here they do have a problem with 'single' women, young people on their own and umarried young couples particularly if they have children of their own. It does not make any sense because there is no help from the state here so why do they worry that someone may not be able to support themselves. If that proved to be the case they would up sticks and leave the TRNC - as many have done.

They make the rules, we abide by them and then they choose to ignore them.

Earlier this year our son applied for his first Residency and there was not one, no not one problem After seven years of renewing our Residencies and always being presented with a problem [always overcome] every year, we were 'gobsmacked' to say the least.

We can only presume that because we went with him at every stage and presented a noters letter stating that we supported him that his application was accepted. Go

crofter

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 17:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 38 in Discussion

yorgozlu - no one needs Residency if they have a work permit.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 18:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 38 in Discussion

Thats exactly what I mean "crofter"

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
16/07/2009 10:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 38 in Discussion

Wanderer re 18

>>Example EU citizen living with mum in law in the UK 3 children UK supports with healthcare state support schools and family allowance husband has returned to his EU homeland and is living with his new girlfriend. <<

As opposed to ladies who have children with Cypriots, based in "TRNC", who, when the marriage fails, the kids have to leave what they regard as "home" to live in a B and B back in the UK......

Luckily, for the Kids, Family Law and social welfare is a little more progressive than you seem to want to tolerate...

The Father can still be chased for maintenance within the EU.. no escaping obligations.... don't you think that's good ? !

wanderer

Message Posted:
16/07/2009 12:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 38 in Discussion

The EU citizen has been in the UK 2 years and not worked .The mum in laws family are on benefit

The UK pick up social and health care child allowance for them all.

I would doubt this particular EU country would make a large award against the husband as their economy is probably in the bottom 10% of the EU

The UK is the soft touch & the EU make it worse .

The UK has benefited from immigration over the centuries .The benefit is from people willing and able to work to using the UK as a meal ticket .

parkview

Message Posted:
16/07/2009 12:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 38 in Discussion

I don't understand why its so difficult here to get residency, its not like you can claim anything from the state, unlike UK, even people I know who have become citizens and have paid tax here for 15 years have been told they will not get a pension as there is not enough to give foreigners.

Aussie

Message Posted:
16/07/2009 18:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 38 in Discussion

I also experienced problems based largely on age (39 at the time) only getting a 6 month renewal last time in Lefkosa.

I got the impression they just didn't believe I wasn't working here illegally (which I don't) and they really weren't interested in seeing further documentation statements etc.

Aussie

cyprusairsoft

Message Posted:
04/08/2009 15:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 38 in Discussion

nat i wouldnt worry small trip to turkey cost does not work out much different from all the fees and hassle that is residency anyway

just keep getting your 90 day stamps and chill

NatAless

Message Posted:
17/12/2009 09:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 38 in Discussion

I have been here for one whole year soon and just got my 90 day stamp from the south/Turkey/Uk each time, also tried for residency a few times but really dont think it's worth the bother, money & time to do residency, waste of money & time & dealing with rude officials at Girne or Lefkoşa buildings! Either you have not enough money or too much blah blah blah!

Just get a 90 day stamp each time, have a holiday to Istanbul or go for a shopping trip to the south etc no problems, no stress, worked for me for a whole year :0) not worth worrying about residency, only lasts for a year here anyway so what's the point?!!! Am leaving the island soon so this has suited me better anyway!

Natx

NatAless

Message Posted:
17/12/2009 09:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 38 in Discussion

Message 30 exactly! I took your advice!!!

Pixie

Message Posted:
17/12/2009 10:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 38 in Discussion

I cant believe that the woman ignored you until you went away!!!!!!!!! Who do they think they are?

joandjelly

Message Posted:
17/12/2009 16:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 38 in Discussion

Nat I know that this will not affect you for very much longer but you need to be aware that as you are actually resident in TRNC and not a visitor, then what you are doing is illegal and if you drive a vehicle and you don't have a TRNC driving licence (which you can't get without temporary residency) then you are driving illegally and your insurance will be invalid in the event of an accident/claim.

I know it is a pain to get residency but is it really worth the hassle of getting caught?

NatAless

Message Posted:
18/12/2009 08:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 38 in Discussion

I can tell you right now that I am most certainly not the only person who has stayed here with a 90 day stamp instead of the hassle & paying for residency for just one year!!!! (Without the certainty of having it renewed the next may I also add!)

I know plenty of other people in my exact situation & I don't know where you get the idea of me driving a car! I wish! I don't even have a UK driving licence! My fiance was driving and we have now sold our car and are leaving the island very shortly!

All I can say is that they are so rude & make it so difficult for you that it's not worth the stress of residency, in my opinion, especially as only valid for one year before you have to go through the whole process and paying again anyway! Then people are free to do whatever they wish!

Have a good day!

Natx

NatAless

Message Posted:
18/12/2009 08:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 38 in Discussion

Btw As the post suggests if you have tried getting residency and they dont want to give it to you there is not a lot you can do, who is to say how long a 'tourist' or 'visitor' should stay in one place if you have the money to support yourself anyway?! Uk citizens go 'travelling' to India/US etc and rent houses and stay in one place etc for as long as their holiday Visa is valid for without bothering for residency all the time!!!

Lazy days

Message Posted:
18/12/2009 09:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 38 in Discussion

Nat

she did say "IF" you drive a vehicle, this is way different from actually saying you do drive a vehicle, people get their backs up by reading things wrong.

On another point on this thread, the new goverment is tackling illegal workers as everyone knows, so one way of doing this is to make sure those people (younger) who can work are not working on the black, it is widely known that theres plenty in fact many brit expats working illegal here and a couple have been deported for it already, i am all for them being thrown off the island, the powers in the UK dump illegal workers as well so please dont give all the excuses.

stellasstar1

Message Posted:
18/12/2009 09:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 38 in Discussion

It's not just this country that has rules about how much money you have and rules to get a work permit, if you want to live their. Australia and America are very strict on their rules and regulations about letting people move to their countries. Even Jersey, which I think a lot of people think is almost English, demand a huge amount of money to let you live their. We have to remember here that we are not the EU.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.