North Cyprus Tourist Board - Car Tax & Insurance in the South
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Car Tax & Insurance in the South

Car Tax & Insurance in the South

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Additional Costs in North Cyprus

» See North Cyprus Insurance Related Threads posted so far

» Read Information about North Cyprus Property Insurance

petecraig

Message Posted:
16/07/2009 09:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

Need some advice, this is the first time we have considered driving to the South, I know that we need both insurance and tax.

I am guessing that we can buy insurance at the crossing (south side?) but where do we sort out the tax and how much does that cost?

This has probably been asked before but things change so quickly would like up to date confirmation.

Thanks

Geoff1131MK11

Message Posted:
16/07/2009 10:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

Hi , I did it for the first time myself last week. Was told to do the Pyla crossing as it was easier. But when i asked about the tax form i was told that it was only available at the Metahan crossing in Lefkosia. So had to turn back and go there. It is all plain sailing after that, just go to the Metahan crossing and after you pass through the passport control on the Turkish side you come to the first office through the border which is where you will be issued with a form for the road tax ( there is no charge for this ) then you go to one of the insurance booths to buy your insurance, anything from one month to one year, it really is simple. Good luck.

Brinsley

Message Posted:
16/07/2009 10:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

I think it's only insurance you need which you purchase at a booth on the Greek side, prices vary depending on how long you want the policy for but payment in Euros.

Richard

decanddyl

Message Posted:
16/07/2009 10:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

Message 2 is correct procedure if you are travelling to the south for the first time you need to be issued with a road tax form which willbe valid for a year and then proc eed to insurance. You neeed your UK driving licence.

petecraig

Message Posted:
16/07/2009 13:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

Thanks all

juliachcc

Message Posted:
04/08/2009 17:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

Hi

just returned from TRNC. WE RENTED FROM BIRDRENTACAR. THEY ONLY ALLOWED US TO TAKE THE CAR OVER TO THE SOUTH FOR 1 DAY.(WE WERE LED TO BELIEVE THAT WE COULD GO OVER AS MANY TIMES AS WE WANTED - MY FATHER LIVES IN THE SOUTH) WE WENT ON SATURDAY TO METAHAN CROSSING, ONLY TO BE TURNED BACK BY THE "OTHER SIDE" BECAUSE WE DID NOT HAVE ANY TAX (WE HAD ALL OF THE CAR DOCUMENTS) WE KNEW THAT WE WOULD HAVE TO PAY INSURANCE, BUT WERE NOT AWARE OF THE TAX - AND GUES WHAT? TAX OFFICE ONLY OPEN MON - FRI, SO WE WERE TOLD THAT WE COULD NOT PASS. IT IS UNFORTUNATE THAT BIRDRENTACAR WERE NOT FULLY AWARE OF THE FACTS. THIS MIS-NFORMATION COST US DEARLY AS WE HAD ARRANGED TO PICK UP MY SON AT LARNACA, AND SO, HAD TO PAY 50 QUID FOR A TAXI FOR HIM. HOPE THIS INFORMAION IS OF HELP TO SOMEONE ELSE! CAN ANYBODY RECOMMEND A CAR HIRE COMPANY THAT FREELY ALLOWS THEIR CAR TO BE USED ON BOTH SIDES?

THANKS

CarrieRBag

Message Posted:
04/08/2009 18:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

To my knowledge there are no car hire companies in the North that allow their cars to be taken South. Correct me if I am wrong please.

You can however, bring South hire cars to the North.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.