North Cyprus Tourist Board - hiring a car and going south, have they changed the rules ?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > hiring a car and going south, have they changed the rules ?

hiring a car and going south, have they changed the rules ?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

corbytown

Message Posted:
16/07/2009 22:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 11 in Discussion

A one rent a car in the north is telling me it is ok to hire a car now and take it south, all you have to do is purchase insurance at the border like you do from south to north.

is this true ?

I was under the impression you could drive a south hire car in the north but could not drive a north hire car south, have they changed the rules ?

MissP

Message Posted:
16/07/2009 22:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 11 in Discussion

We have hired from a diffrent company ( although I cannot remeber who ) and they told my husband that we cannot take it to the south side due to the insurance being invalid, we wasnt told you can purchase insurance at the border, so cannot confirm of this is true or not. Would be interested to know though

Magbs

Message Posted:
16/07/2009 23:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 11 in Discussion

New rules or not, but two weeks ago birdrentacar said I could not go South because the third party insurance would not help in case of accident.

westender

Message Posted:
16/07/2009 23:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 11 in Discussion

Some friends took their hire car south but had to have the signed permission of the hire company and this was only given as they are regular customers.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
17/07/2009 10:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 11 in Discussion

OK

A Good TC friend of mine tells me that it IS possible to take "north" reg'd cars "south"

BUT.. you must ask the car rental co if THEY mind!

This applies going either way.

The problem is if you have an accident - the cover is third party - and costs of recovery, etc. can be huge.

rigsby

Message Posted:
17/07/2009 10:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 11 in Discussion

We have done it three times in different cars rented from Acmenya,They have to give you a letter saying they aggree and copy of log book,Insurance must be purchased and is only third party whilst in the south.

Stewart

Message Posted:
17/07/2009 10:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 11 in Discussion

Hi, BIRDRENTACAR will give you written permission to drive to the south ( needs to be produced at the veorder )....IF, anything happens to the car, ie a breakdown, YOU will need to get the car back across the green line, ie to the north.

ROBnJO

Message Posted:
17/07/2009 12:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 11 in Discussion

We met a couple who had fun last year!

Took their hire car South, got permission, got 3rd Party at the crossing.

Nr Paphos, broke down, clouds of steam, burst top hose (£5?). After 2 hrs of calls, North & South, with no engine or air-con, GC breakdown arrives and after much shrugging and smirking, told them repair would be 300 Euros + 100 Euros tow charge to garage. Also said they did not do recovery back to the crossing.

Garage told them hose would take 2/3 days to get and they were on their own.

In the end the garage bodged up the hose. Bill still ended up at 400 Euros.

What if they had a major incident & wrote the car off?

They could possibly be liable for the full cost of the car.

As Dirty Harry said:

"" you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk? ""

flightholiday

Message Posted:
17/07/2009 12:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 11 in Discussion

I know this reminder may seem silly - cross border car hire - this applies in most instances on most borders

1] You have to have written permission from the hire car company (not anyone but at least a manager or director) you must have copies of all documents

2] You must insure the car when you cross the border, before if possible

3] Nearly all cross border car insurance is the bare minimum, most often only third party - not fire & theft

4] In case of any incident (breakdowns included) you would be well advised to inform the local police and the car rental company

5] If there may be any possible reason of an insurance claim also inform the insurer

6] All cost and losses will be charged to you and in some countries you may not be allowed to leave even if you put bonds in place - if you need contact your own countries representatives (i.e. for Brit's the Embassy)

7] If there is a problem always stay calm and be cooperative - ask for help

Stewart

Message Posted:
17/07/2009 12:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 11 in Discussion

I had a car last year, hired from the south, and was involved in an accident ( not my fault )

The other person's insurance company ( based in the north ), were on the scene within an hour, as was the police, my hire car was fully repaired within 48 hours, and I was able to have a replacement for the duration..all paid for by the person who hit me.

Not sure what would have happened if I had caused the accident.

When something like this happens, it is good to know someone locally who knows the ropes.

( Was in the police station for 3 - 4 hours, whilst they sorted everything )

zerochlor

Message Posted:
17/07/2009 17:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 11 in Discussion

just spoke to ATLANTIC car hire ,office next to dome hotel girne.

Asked if i can take 1 of there hire cars south.

Reply: yes of course,but please call in our office and pick up some document or letter.

Well that was nice and easy!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.