North Cyprus Tourist Board - Moving to North Cyprus with cat
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Moving to North Cyprus with cat

Moving to North Cyprus with cat

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

» See all North Cyprus Shipping threads posted so far

» Read about Shipping Freight to North Cyprus

Chris

Message Posted:
27/03/2008

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 11 in Discussion

I am having problems finding a way to fly with my cat to Ercan airport, as the agents in England cannot guarantee we fly together as they say the airlines do not always have the correct cargo hold for transporting animals. Has anybody successfully travelled with their animal? I have been told it can sometimes take up to a week to get the cat over!

simbas

Message Posted:
27/03/2008 06:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 11 in Discussion

hi chris , yes , some people have transported their animals , but i have'nt heard of it taking a week , someone on the forum who has done this , will come forward to help you i'm sure

good luck , simbas

gottheyips

Message Posted:
27/03/2008 09:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 11 in Discussion

Hi Chris

We moved over two and half years ago and brought over 2 dogs and a cat. At first we did have problems getting on a flight together but it was done. Just insist that you go on the same flight. It was our dogs that was the problem with the crates being large but a cat should not be that much of a problem. You probably know that your cat has to go into quarantine for approx 3 weeks.

We booked our flights ourselves and dealt with them direct, we never used an agent. Wife of gottheyips

Chris

Message Posted:
27/03/2008 10:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 11 in Discussion

Thanks Simbas

I am getting the run a round from several agents here, who say they may have to keep her for up to a week in their cattery!, and her export licence runs out after 8 days, at least she wasnt named kiakumu for nothing, which roughly translates as bloody nightmare in Japanese!

paul90

Message Posted:
27/03/2008 10:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 11 in Discussion

See link below from KTHY - you may be able to take them into the cabin - that is what we hope to do.

http://www.kthy.net/kthyen/animalstransit.html

Animals in Transit

Transportation of domestic animals

CTA permits the transportation of domestic animals on some flights. However, as these flights are limited, passengers should inform us on booking that they wish to transport an animal. Animals such as cats, dogs and birds can be checked in. Passengers can also bring domestic animals into the cabin provided the animals have special cages or boxes and they have the relevant vaccination and health certification.

Their weight should not exceed 6kg and the box should not be bigger than 55cmX40cmX20cm. It should also be waterproof. Two domestic animals can be permitted in the cabin unless otherwise decided by the captain. Animals other than those mentioned above are transported in the hold. There should be a tag with the animal’s name on it and the name of the human passenger responsible for it.

NB Rodents (e.g. squirrels, mice etc.) are on no account to be allowed on board s they can cause a hazard.

joandjelly

Message Posted:
27/03/2008 10:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 11 in Discussion

I think that Tom @ IAH can help with organising transportation contact him at info@flightholiday.com

lovelife

Message Posted:
27/03/2008 16:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 11 in Discussion

Chris

Visit pegasus website http://www.flypgs.com

Click on important information and it will tell you the requirements for your cat to travel in the cabin.

LL

Chris

Message Posted:
27/03/2008 21:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 11 in Discussion

Wow!!

Thank you for all your help, I will let you know how I get on.

According to everyone I have talked to - vets, quarantine etc, there is no way I could do it myself, and the cheapest quote I could get was £700.00 for a one way ticket just for the cat!

brian24001

Message Posted:
30/03/2008 22:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 11 in Discussion

Chris,

It's actually a lot easier and cheaper than all of this.

You need an import licence from the very helpful Mehmet at the quarantine place, I can give you the phone number.

Provided there are no animal movement restrictions in place he will want to see the cats cetification - rabies vac, pet passport is a help but not actually required here. He will then issue you an import licence valid for about 2 months.

You need to apply for a UK export licence, stating planned travel date, the actual licence is issued to your vet just before, again the people in the UK dealing with this were most helpful.

24 hours before departing the UK you cat needs a check up and is issued export licence by your vet.

Book with Turkish airlines, and you cat will be menifested on your travel intinary. Cost for animals is charged at excess bagage cost only, I think it's about GBP 6 per kilo, and you check them in with with your luggage (no they don't then go on the baggage conveyor).

One word of caution, flying through Stansted, you can only take 1 animal at a time (airport restriction, not airline), but Gatwick/Heathrow not a problem for more than one.

Re:the comment above to take pets in cabin on KTHY flights - not from the UK, and KTHY only have certain planes with pressurised holds, so best book with Turkish. If Turkish flight does not have pressurised hold they will allow one animal only in the cabin.

Hope this helps.

If you need any more help send me a message and i'll send you my email address.

Cheers

Brian

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
30/03/2008 22:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 11 in Discussion

I would not be very pleased if I was on a flight with a cat in the cabin as they give me really bad hay fever.

Chris

Message Posted:
31/03/2008 00:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 11 in Discussion

Thanks Brian, if I have any problems I will contact you again.

Lovingcyprus, try opening the window!!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.