North Cyprus Tourist Board - Car, Using a UK registered car in TRNC
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Car, Using a UK registered car in TRNC

Car, Using a UK registered car in TRNC

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

ColinCB

Message Posted:
17/07/2009 16:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 20 in Discussion

I have read with interest the Car Forum but cannot find the full info I need. I note the views on Scams-Tax Avoidance-Evasion and would stress that I wish to stay"legal" as we will move to NC when my wife retires, (I already have.) I want to visit NC to complete a build project. I would hope to stay 3-6 month at a time, (applying for Temp. Residency asap,), and return to UK for short periods. I am looking for the cheapest way to have transport in NC. I have a 1998 Corolla with 10 mths Mot & R/tax, which I trust and am considering driving over to NC.

Questions: - How long can I use my car in NC on UK reg? I presume my insurance will be covered for EU countries but I would need TRNC insurance? Any advice on the journey, if I do it, would also be appreciated, similarly any other thoughts/suggestions.

Thanks in anticipation

Colin CB

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
17/07/2009 16:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 20 in Discussion

How long can I use my car in NC on UK reg? - 12 months from date of bringing it in.

I presume my insurance will be covered for EU countries - Not necessarily. You need to inform your insurance company that you will be doing the trips and pay the extra fees as appropriate as you will out of the country for more than the usual 30 days a year that most policys cover. You will also need extra insurance for driving in Turkey as well as the TRNC. Both can be bought at the point of entry.

Any advice on the journey - Ensure your vehicle is in tip top condition and that you have breakdown cover to cover Europe and Turkey. Make sure you pack emergency food supplies just in case you do end up in the middle of no where. Buy an International Low Cost Sim Card for calling home and the emergency services or ensure that you have a mobile with a high credit limit on monthly contract or a large amount on Pay-As-You-Go.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
17/07/2009 16:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 20 in Discussion

Very good advice as always Timothycadman

I would also recommend the car to bring over to be european as the import tax on them are alot cheaper.For the journey "green card" I think is a must.It could also be used to cross over to south for a year without any worries.

wanderer

Message Posted:
17/07/2009 16:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 20 in Discussion

Colin

If you intend to keep the car for 12 months in TRNC it should have 12 month tax & Mot

If you intend to keep it permanently in the TRNC how long have you owned the car

The rule is that cars should be under 3 years old for import there are exceptions though

Also I believe if you have applied for residency the import tax is payable on arrival

zerochlor

Message Posted:
17/07/2009 16:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 20 in Discussion

Message 1

colinCB

if your car is over 3 years old.you cannot pay the duty here on it ,unless you are the original owner from the car being first registerd.

if you have owned the car from new and are the only registerd keeper on the log book then you can bring the car and you can pay the duty on it .

regardless of age , yes you can bring the car,but im sure you will now only get 1 month to keep the car here,

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
17/07/2009 17:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 20 in Discussion

If the car is over 5 years old and been in your name for minimum of 5 years, you can stiil regiter it in cyprus

I should know,cause the customs wont let me register my bike,cause its over 5 years of age and not been in my name for 5 years(playing "catch me if you can at the moment")

Brinsley

Message Posted:
17/07/2009 17:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 20 in Discussion

A 1998 Toyota Corolla probably has very little residual value in the UK compared to car prices in TRNC so, best thing is to drive it here, use it for a year and then ditch it and buy a TRNC plated vehicle.

Richard

ColinCB

Message Posted:
17/07/2009 18:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 20 in Discussion

I only found this website this morning, its great, thanks to you all for the info given so far, all taken on board.

I note Brinsley's comments and this thought had crossed my mind. After tax & mot, scrap (or poss. break for spares? legal?) and buy in NC or come back to uk for another.

Please keep comments/advice coming and thaks again to all

Colin CB

Brinsley

Message Posted:
17/07/2009 18:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 20 in Discussion

Inform the authorities that it has died and scrap it for parts and at least you'll get a few bob back.

Richard

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
17/07/2009 18:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 20 in Discussion

re msg 8

once your permit runs out, you have to hand the car to customs,or register it.If you brake it for spears ,that would officialy mean that the car is still on the road,which would make you liable.

What I assume Brinsley meant by "ditch" is to give it to the customs

(dont mean to be speaking on behalf of you Richard,just trying to cut "assuming" out of it)

Brinsley

Message Posted:
17/07/2009 20:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 20 in Discussion

yorgozlu

Is a personal driven imported car stamped into the drivers/owners passport on arrival? If not, nothing to worry about.

Richard

newscoop

Message Posted:
17/07/2009 20:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 20 in Discussion

Richard; a car brought in for personal use is stamped into your passport.

Brinsley

Message Posted:
17/07/2009 20:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 20 in Discussion

That's easy to get around. Report passport stolen (police report) and then apply for replacement and car stamp is lost!

Richard

ColinCB

Message Posted:
18/07/2009 00:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 20 in Discussion

Hi Sahali.

Interesting you mention 'Bikes. I also have a 1959 Matchless 650 twin on a historic no. plate, (free road tax in UK,) that I was thinking of bringing with me when I finally move. I wonder how the hell I'll get on with that one ??? I can see that causing chaos !!

Colin

Brinsley

Message Posted:
18/07/2009 00:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 20 in Discussion

Colin

Problem comes if or when you take it out of the country it then comes under the jurisdiction of the Antiquities Department with all sorts of paperwork and taxes to fill out and pay. What is the private plate number out of curiosity?

Richard

ColinCB

Message Posted:
18/07/2009 10:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 20 in Discussion

Hi Richard (reply 15)

Its not a personalised plate, its an historic, age related plate "PSV ***" The DVLC issue these in cases where a vehicle/bike has been rebuilt after the log book has been lost or transferred. One has to get documentation from the Owners Club, in this case the AJS & Matchless O.C., that the bike engine and frame No's are correct and then DVLC will issue an "Age Related" reg. no. In my case, the 'bike was first exported to the Indian Motor Company, U.S.A in 1961. It was then re-imported to U.K. around 1980 but, of course, with no registration number. The good point is that, as an historic vehicle, it is still a zero charge taxation class.

I take your points about "antiquities" etc., but at 67, if ever I do bring it to the TRNC, the chances are that I will have turned up my toes before that problem arises.

But,- that is another subject, I have to get back to TRNC 1st. Keep in touch and maybe we can meet up at some time in the future

Colin

Hippo

Message Posted:
18/07/2009 10:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 20 in Discussion

Lots of wrong information given as well as some correct.

1. A car that is over 3 years old can be imported as long as its been in ownership for 5 years.

2. Tax is payable on the last day or before of the vechile being in the TRNC (this is where there is a little grey area) if the owner leaves the TRNC within that twelve month period then the year can be extended for that period. in theory you could extend the 12 month tax free period untill a cumlitive total is reached.

3. The vechile is registered on your passport when you arrive, changing your passport only removes the stamp from your passport it doesent erase the record on the TRNC computer.

4. You will still be liable for the import tax if you scrap the car.

5. handing it into the customs doesent neccesserily remove you from any liability you can still be asked to remove the car, pay a fine or both.

5. It is still difficult to get a compleatly definitive answer to some of the questions.

5. Beware of so called fixers

Masaki63

Message Posted:
20/07/2009 15:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 20 in Discussion

So Hippo, have I got this right??

If I have a car that is say 10 years old, but in my name for over 5 years, I can bring it here and within the first 12 month period, if I leave to go back to the uk for a couple of months at a time, then my 12 month grace period of not paying tax does not become liable until I have clocked up a total of 12 months up to a maximum of 24 months?

After that date, I would pay 40% tax on anything over 1.8cc on the book value?

But my Uk insurance is likely to be invalid if I am out of the country for more than 30days but when I got to Turkey and NC their insurance should cover me during my stay at TRNC?

Have I got it or is the sun too hot for my little head today?

negativenick

Message Posted:
20/07/2009 15:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 20 in Discussion

or as Garry Monger's Missus would say...

"just buy a car over here, taxes paid and TRNC redistered...."

Tony1

Message Posted:
20/07/2009 19:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 20 in Discussion

Having been through the hoops of importing a car here.... my advice would be to buy here and not bother importing a car from uk... its expensive to get here, the import tax is expensive, registration tax is expensive, road tax is expensive.... and the toing an froing between various govermnment offices is a nightmare.... also... you cannot import your car without the services of a 'Customs Agent'.....

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.