North Cyprus Tourist Board - Thinking of northern cyprus!
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Thinking of northern cyprus!

Thinking of northern cyprus!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

The-red1

Message Posted:
19/07/2009 23:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

Hi all, am very new to this forum but thought it looked like a good place to gain some honest insight as to the real northern cyprus and its current situation and status.

My partner and i are looking to relocate to Northern Cyprus but for all my research on the internet, i cant seem to find solid answers to my questions so i was wondering if any of you would like to give your opinions and experiences?

First thing i would like to know is the obvious question: Is buying a property in TRNC safe for a Brit?

Secondly, How hard is it to find work specifically work in the construction trade; more private though not site work. We are young and unfortunately have not made enough to have a retirement property yet!!

Next, is there a higher standard of living in TRNC and a more relaxed attitude to life? is there high crime rates etc?

Lastly i would just generally appreciate it if anyone could describe to me how they found the whole process of relocating!

ANy comments welcome

Blackpoolfan

Message Posted:
19/07/2009 23:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

Hi

First good luck, is property buyingsfe for a brit? i would say its not without risk due to the on-going talks. Relaxd yes, low crime yes compared to the uk almost nil, unspoilt easy way of life i love the place but only for the holidays at present, it takes bottle to upsticks and move.

A word to the wise some posts will appear on hear because a lot of members can't help themselves and when you have read their opinions you will conclude it is safer to buy a 2 bed apartment in Afghanistan...................

Bradus

Message Posted:
19/07/2009 23:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

Is buying a property in TRNC safe for a Brit?

I don't think many would use the word "safe" when describing property purchases in the TRNC. Why not think of renting until you have found your feet?

Turtle

Message Posted:
19/07/2009 23:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

May be a good idea if you visited NC and spent a little time there.

Most (not all) people will reccommend the north of the Island but you really do need to make that decision yourself.

pilgrim

Message Posted:
19/07/2009 23:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

Work difficult, buying dangerous, would n't reccommend, unless you can afford to pay compensation later.

Hav n't totally relocated myself yet, but love climate , locals and lifestyle, but I'm semi retired . If your living in NC fulltime would think you may need reasonable savings , as safeguard for non employment periods and potential property problems as mentioned. Visit HBPG website, good advice. Plenty on board also. Good luck.

andre 514

Message Posted:
19/07/2009 23:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

kara,

you will enjoy an excellent range of advice and recommendation on cyprus 44

but it is absolutely essental you see the place over a few holdays and preferably renting too

surprisingly this small province is quite diverse and it all depends what you want in life

the economy is at a low level, and whether anything is safe or advisable is nearly unanswerable

you get a handful of gc sympathisers pop up on the forum but there are positive viewpoints too

property is quite cheap, there is a lot of re-sale choice but you must have a good solicitor

also avoid pre-mortgaged buys, according to warnings from the hc, a cyprus-wide problem

employment is not easy to find but some people discover a niche and north cyprus is "different"

let us know about your discoveries- and good luck!

nurseawful

Message Posted:
20/07/2009 08:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

Hi there,

If you want to e-mail me direct on oliver7703@gmail.com and I will help if I can.

Chris

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
20/07/2009 08:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

Nurselovely ...see you are lovely, no open negative advice...you are one of the boards gems x

Stewart

Message Posted:
20/07/2009 09:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

Hi

1. Work in the building trade.....poorly paid, you are competing against Turks

2. Vast improvement in life style, depending on your budget.

3. The property issue, may be sorted later this year as part of the talks...if so, prices will increase by around 30 - 50%

4. May be difficult for you to get residency, untill after possible settlement of talks, ie NC may become part of the EU.

5. Whilst currently under Turkey control and large Army presence, crime rate is very low...under EU it will become the same as the south....ie much higher crime rate.

my suggestion....try before you buy...good luck

The-red1

Message Posted:
25/07/2009 13:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

Some very sound advice guys thanks!!!

Definately thinking of coming over for 3 months and renting somewhere to see what we think about the place...

Another question though... are any of the title deeds legal? ive read that if u can find pre 1974 title deeds then these are the ones to buy and would have no issues in the future no matter what decision is made (providing a solicitor can prove its legal obviously!), is this correct?

Is there any/many of you living in NC permanantly and working?

Cheers

cronos

Message Posted:
25/07/2009 13:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

The-red1.....msg 10

In the past it has always been suggested that the best and safest deeds to buy were Pre-74 Turkish Title deeds as these were the only ones that had international recognition.

HOWEVER....during the past year or so there have been disturbing reports that the TRNC government are now unwilling to give Permission To Purchase and subsequent title deeds to us "foreigners".

Many buyers who thought they had done the right thing have been waiting years for PTP and are left in limbo....myself included !

I have openly asked on this forum for an advocate to come forward and confirm or deny these "rumours".....but the silence is deafening !

Make of that what you will.

Seriously....I would think twice about buying ANY property in NC ,and would get a long term rental instead.

The market is flat and you can rent some very nice property for not much money !

Good luck.....and be careful !

spider

Message Posted:
25/07/2009 14:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

Hi the-red1..good luck.and if you do want to do it,I would say just get up and go....do it..

We had not even come for a Holiday,sold up..came with 8 cases 1 large box.cat and dog..booked into The Almond.you can google that..and have never looked back since.We invested our money.as yet we have no pensions.and we take things as they come each day..we do not let things wind us up...because Whats the point..!!!

Good Luck..No point in keep thinking should we,if you can.try it....

Good Luck,and welcome to the Forum.

Regards Spider,X

Carndi

Message Posted:
25/07/2009 15:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

Would advise you to rent for a while first.

Work for foreigners is hard to get and the new government are cracking down on people with out work permits. Wages are also a lot lower than in the UK.

As we are not in the EU we dont have all the silly rules but the other side of the coin is we have a lot of shoddy work ethics.

First year is filled with frustation due to the casual way of doing ( or not doing ) things but when you get used to and are doing things the Turkish Cypriot way then life is bliss.

Do not under any circumstances hand over money to anyone outside of a solicitors office and if you are renting here for a while you will be able to suss out a good solicitor and good estate agent.

All the expats seem to know each other and there is a great deal of help given by them but be careful.

Good luck

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
25/07/2009 18:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

Dear The-red1

re msg 1

Welcome to the forum

Firstly, no one can tell you WHAT is going to happen in Cyprus - esp "TRNC".

If you think you will like it RENT first - learn the ropes - and the possible pitfalls of buying anywhere overseas.. The market is stagnant or dropping so you won't lose out.. If *I* had a pound for every time I heard that prices would go up next year by xx % ..... THEY WON'T and any settlement is likely to make many freeholders leaseholders overnight.

Finding work in the construction trade?! Hmmm - it is DEAD - and you have to have "permit" to work - not necessary if you work in the "south" - but the economy is just as flat, there.

Crime rate - low, as it is all over the island ! Not sure why having it open to EU citizens would increase crime - it certainly hasn't tin the UK..

Title deeds.. hmm.. check the UK Foreign and Commonwealth website for info. about all of Cyprus ( incl "TRNC" )

http://tinyurl.com/kkxknz

If in doubt, ask !

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.