North Cyprus Tourist Board - Salt water swimming pools?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Salt water swimming pools?

Salt water swimming pools?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Swimming Pool threads posted so far

Howmuchlonger

Message Posted:
20/07/2009 13:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

I have heard in the past that one of the pool companies in NC was hoping to startt up salt water tanker deliveries for pools. I think it was said that converting the equipment already in place for a fresh water pool could be converted reasonably easily & cheaply.

Does anyone know anything about this? Perhaps TRNC Vaughan?

jewels

Message Posted:
20/07/2009 14:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

hi i fit in salt chloreenator systems .this product will change crystal salt in to chloreene.this product will make your maintanance much cheaper because there wont be any manual chlore put in.the chlore the product makes is much healthier than normal chlore.your pool will also be much silkier and softer to swim.

please call for more details 0533 831 64 69

note : be careful what chlorenator you choose because some have down sides

ozankoys

Message Posted:
20/07/2009 14:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

I think that this was yet another one of TRNC Vaughan's potential projects that did not get off the ground!

Splash Pools sell Watermaid the original salt water chlorinator but I believe that there are other ones available now.

Good maintenance is required for these systems to be successful but they do provide fantastic water quality with environmental and health benefits.

nurseawful

Message Posted:
20/07/2009 14:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

If you go on to the Watermaid Australian website they have lots of info on this.

Howmuchlonger

Message Posted:
20/07/2009 15:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

What I mean is actually using sea water in the pool rather than freshwater, thus avoiding the use of precious drinking water in this drought ridden place. It seems like such an obvious solution that there must be something I'm missing...why doesn't someone fill tankers from the sea and deliver to pool owners?

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
20/07/2009 15:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Saltwater pools could be the answer to water shortages as far as pools in TRNC go. It is early days yet and I haven't managed to get much feed-back enthusiasm for the idea. The problem will be transporting seawater which is very corrosive to metal tankers.

Chlorinators are not favourite at the moment either as the running costs are too high now that TRNC electricity is so dear. Silver/Copper oxide systems need much less running time and can operate with sea as well as fresh water.

nurseawful

Message Posted:
20/07/2009 15:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Howmuchlonger the website on message4 explains all, or e-mail the address on the site and they will answer all your questions they are really good.

Lambousa Gordon

Message Posted:
20/07/2009 18:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

The main problem regarding saltwater pools will be the disastrous salination of subsoil (and therefore water supply) caused by leaks (against which there can be no guarantee of them arising later even if they don't exist now) and backwashing.

Also, as the pool water evaporates and is replenished with, I assume, more saltwater, what levels of salinity can a pool be expected to reach.

Too, would all the pool parts need to be of marine-grade?

keithcaley

Message Posted:
20/07/2009 18:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

If I remember correctly, from Vaughan's original postings on this topic, there is a big difference between the amount of salt in 'saltwater chlorinated' pools and Sea Water Salt pools - the former only require a small amount of salt (Sodium CHLORide) to convert into CHLORine...

I'm sorry, but I can't seem to find the original posts...

100% Seawater would knacker these chlorinator systems pronto! - not to mention any exposed metalwork - pool steps, motor shafts etc, and as Gordon says - 'what about leaks? - what about backwash water?' - and that's without the problems of extraction and transport.

I suppose that if you're right up against the beach (now illegal for new private residences, of course!) you might devise a system to refresh your seawater pool that would overcome some of these problems, but I don't see it being a practical solution for most people.

Sorry!

Keith.

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
21/07/2009 13:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Keith is right,

Although sea water pools seem like a good idea, there are too many associated problems with logistics, corrosion, etc.

As a compromise, rather than spending money on "converting" pools to sea water, pool owners might want to consider spending it on having leakproof pools built from new or existing leaking pools repaired. That way the currently available fresh water would go a lot further than it does at the moment.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.