North Cyprus Tourist Board - School fees.... Thinking of moving to TRNC
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > School fees.... Thinking of moving to TRNC

School fees.... Thinking of moving to TRNC

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Schools Posts

maria1975

Message Posted:
22/07/2009 21:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 27 in Discussion

Hi,

We are seriously considering moving to TRNC. I have been looking on the internet at the 3 main schools near where our house is: Sunny Lane, GAU and English speaking school Kyrenia. I nearly had a heart attack when i saw the fees for The English Speaking School Kyrenia... £3,750 for my eldest who is 12 and £3,150 for my 6 year old! Does anyone know the fees for GAU or Sunny Lane? Also I noticed that the exam qualifications offered at ESK are IGCSE, is this the same as our GCSE and is it a recognised qualification in England?

Any feedback would be very appreciated.

Maria

Vidal

Message Posted:
22/07/2009 22:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 27 in Discussion

Hi Maria

The GCSE and IGCSE are the same thing.

I know that Sunny Lane School is less than you have been quoted so far. Have you looked for info on the school threads? Everything you need to know and more is there.

I'd suggest you go in and visit the schools...you'll know whats right for your kids.

Good luck, just done it all so I know its quite stressful wanting to know if you are doing the right thing.

maria1975

Message Posted:
22/07/2009 22:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 27 in Discussion

Hi Vidal,

Thank's for your reply!

Do your children go to Sunny Lane?

I'm very nervous about making the move, but i'm sure it's the right thing for our family!

Thanks again.

Maria

Yellowbelly

Message Posted:
22/07/2009 22:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 27 in Discussion

Hi Maria

GAU is cheaper but ESK and Sunny Lane are better.

One huge advantage of the UK is good, free education... we are thinking of moving back to the UK just for that reason.

mrcyprus

Message Posted:
22/07/2009 22:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 27 in Discussion

Hi maria. My younger sister is starting Sunny Lane in september, having moved over here in june.

For your eldest child, who will be going into the secondary part, its about £2900 for the year.

Im not sure about the lower school fees.

But you will recieve a discount on the overall prices as you have more than one child going to the school.

maria1975

Message Posted:
22/07/2009 22:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 27 in Discussion

Thanks everybody for your replies.

Can anyone tell me if they are pleased with the level of education received for their children in TRNC compared with UK?

Thanks again!

Vidal

Message Posted:
22/07/2009 23:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 27 in Discussion

We are moving over full time in August and my son will be starting at Sunny Lane.

We have taken a year to come to a final decision.

I will send you an email.

Yellowbelly

Message Posted:
22/07/2009 23:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 27 in Discussion

Hi Maria

Hope I didn't sound too negative in my last post. My 5-year-old was at ESK and the level of education was excellent with superb and caring teachers. She thoroughly enjoyed herself there.

maria1975

Message Posted:
23/07/2009 00:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 27 in Discussion

Hi Yellowbelly

You didn't sound negative at all... I'm just a bit of a worrier! lol!

tulik

Message Posted:
23/07/2009 00:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 27 in Discussion

I regretfully sent my children to Sunnylane for 2 years. In my opinion this is run as a business not a school. The teachers and the many unqualified helpers are not respected by the Directors. The "school" is not interested in the high levels of bullying. I friend of mine has recently returned to the UK where her children are all behind after attending Sunnylane. For the mental well being of your children I would not recomend Sunnylane to anyone.

maria1975

Message Posted:
23/07/2009 00:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 27 in Discussion

Really?? Where do they go now? My son is due to start senior school in September and has a place at one of the best schools in the south-east. Is there really a high level of bullying? The name 'Sunny Lane' makes you think it'd be a lovely place to go to school doesn't it?lol! Would you recommend ESK?

Thanks

Maria.

tulik

Message Posted:
23/07/2009 00:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 27 in Discussion

ESK has only been going for a year. From pre-reception to year 2. They are opening a new purpose built building that looks like it will be great. I have been down to the school and from what I can gather its sounds like its going to be a great school with the high standards.

As for bullying I have spoken to lots of parents who have experienced it in at least 3 different years.

My children attended Highgate in the South.

tulik

Message Posted:
23/07/2009 00:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 27 in Discussion

My nephew attended ESK 2008 - 2009 and has done well and been very happy.

Brinsley

Message Posted:
23/07/2009 02:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 27 in Discussion

As a thought. For that sort of money find 4/5 retired teachers and maybe an English/Turkish one and have your Children taught at home on a one to one basis, maybe doubling up on some subjects. Cost of books etc down to you, though the remuneration package for the Teachers would not be cash but in lieu, a weekly dinner party with respective partners, costs to you! I'm sure there are plenty of bored experienced teachers who would welcome a few lectures or so a week to keep their skills alert and up to scratch.

Richard

Vidal

Message Posted:
23/07/2009 02:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 27 in Discussion

Nice thought,

But anyone teaching would have to be so committed to see the kids through their education. I doubt anyone one would want that pressure on the promise of some kind of barter. Probably escaped to TRNC to get away from that kind of stress.

Like I say nice thought though.

Brinsley

Message Posted:
23/07/2009 02:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 27 in Discussion

Vidal

Thanks, but to teach on a one to one basis is far less stressful then dealing with a class of 32+ in addition, the child learns far quicker and the speed of learning is catered for, for the individual. Anyhow, just a suggestion for the parents.

Richard

Vidal

Message Posted:
23/07/2009 02:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 27 in Discussion

I think you're right and wonderful for the youngsters who really want to learn too!

I dont know what the rules and regs would for home tuition and if there would be any problems when the time comes to put them in for IGCSE's

I'd be interested if anyone knows.

mrcyprus

Message Posted:
23/07/2009 06:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 27 in Discussion

Sunny Lane is a close school. You can make friends with the entire school as there are only 45 people in the whole school right now.

My sister went to the school for a few days to check it out before it closed for the summer and she got on fine, and everyone was friendly enough.

Your child will get taken to school on a bus, and brought home on a bus, they will always be safe.

I do recommened you go and see the school before judging it by what comments have been left.

smithy

Message Posted:
23/07/2009 08:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 27 in Discussion

My two granddaughters went to Sunny Lane for 3 years before moving to Thailand, they enjoyed every minute of it, and loved their Teachers, the only sad part for them moving was leaving their favourite school (well and their nanny)

Home school was a no option for them, as they would never intergrate with other children and kids need that and lots of friends.

But remember the School bus has to be paid for its not included in the fees

sheila

BeeBop

Message Posted:
23/07/2009 09:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 27 in Discussion

I would think very hard about moving to the TRNC with regards to education. My child has been in the education system here for 10 years. He has been to state school and also private school here. The private schools he attended we felt were purely run for money and his education came second. The state schools have been more focussed on education and he has done well passing all his exams with good marks, but he is bi lingual having lived here for such a long time. When the time comes for his education from 14 - 15 onwards we will then look into moving away as the standards and promises here have not been fullfilled to other parents who have lived here a long time and they have now moved back to the UK or gone to Turkey to further there childrens education.

Also friends who have left have found that there children are behind when it comes to the UK schools.

Not wanting to be negative but it is a big decision and all parents want to do there best.

Lambousa Gordon

Message Posted:
23/07/2009 10:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 27 in Discussion

At a primary level we are very happy with Sunny Lane. Too, my cousin's son who attended there breezed entrance exams for a prestigious private school in the UK.

As to fees, compared with private education in the UK or Turkey the fees charged in Cyprus are extremely reasonable.

Cyprusraider

Message Posted:
23/07/2009 10:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 27 in Discussion

If you can afford it ESK. Have lived on the island for nigh on 16 yrs and taught in a number of Universities. The Education concept of most private schools seems to be centred around making MONEY. From personal experience GAU VERY DISAPPOINTING. From what I've heard and read SUNNY LANE is a NO NO. ESK seems to be the only solution currently , although watch out for the recently re-opened Turk Maarif Kolleg where tuition is in ENGLISH.

Too late for my child who starts at ESK in September. Expensive, YES but we all want the best for our kids

aripointer

Message Posted:
23/07/2009 10:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 27 in Discussion

Be careful with sending your children to Sunny Lane. They have just lost some of their best teachers to ESK. AP

tulik

Message Posted:
24/07/2009 07:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 27 in Discussion

Wasn't there an unqulaified art teacher at Sunny Lane, which meant none of the children could sit their exam? A lady I met recently has an A level in French and was asked to teach even though she has never been a teacher. Worrying pattern.

efendioliver

Message Posted:
24/07/2009 10:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 27 in Discussion

my son goes to ESK and loves every minute of it. We are very pleased with how the school has performed in it first year.

Treesy

Message Posted:
24/07/2009 16:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 27 in Discussion

Maria,

to answer one of your first questions - the IGCSE qualifications are equal if not better than the UK GCSE qualifications. Many private schools in the UK actually prefer to sit IGCSE exams as they are considered harder due to the fact they they do not normally involve coursework - and hence have extra topics to make up for this.

They are recognised worldwide.

Many pupils experience a fallback when changing schools - this is normal but hopefully once they have settled in and made friends they will pick up again. The cost of education is expensive here and of course they are run as a business - how else could they exist?

I would say go and visit each school and judge for yorself - you will hear many negative things on this forum which if you believe half of them you wouldn't even set foot here.

Good luck

mishmash

Message Posted:
25/07/2009 10:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 27 in Discussion

Hi I have 2 children at Sunnylane - both are very settled and happy and have lots of friends their emotional welfare and social development has improved drastically since they came from the uk. There is a turnover of staff at the moment however that would always be the case when new teaching posts are offered in an area from a new school i.e. ESK. All 3 private schools will be run as a business thats probably an issue because they are private and not funded by the state. One of my children has just sat his S.A.T.S and achieved very well in fact the levels achieved is an indicator of the teaching received at Sunnylane - the previous UK school would not have submitted him for these exams and did not expect pass marks. Each school has its own positives and negatives and one school wont be suitable for every child or parent would suggest you visit the schools to get a feel for them.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.