North Cyprus Tourist Board - Visit to Kyrenia Animal Rescue Centre
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Visit to Kyrenia Animal Rescue Centre

Visit to Kyrenia Animal Rescue Centre

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Threads on Pets, Dogs, Cats, Animals and Kyrenia Animal Rescue (KAR)

» Read about Bringing Your Pet to North Cyprus

» KAR Official Website - www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

» Read about Kyrenia North Cyprus

» Kyrenia Cyprus Photo Gallery

» Kyrenia Sights

puppylover

Message Posted:
06/08/2009 06:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 18 in Discussion

Well at long last hubby and I paid our first visit to the animal centre.

Bit of an achievement for me as a driver of 1 year I do not do the mountain roads unless I really have to!

I had tried to gear myself up for our first visit....tissues in handbag etc.

The first thing that hits you is the heat and the flies and as expected from having so many animals in one area is the smell.

We were shown around by a lady called Susanne who it was very obvious the dogs adored.

As we walked around we were overwhelmed by the number of dogs who all had a story to tell........"adopted by a local family who bought it back because it was too quiet and timid"....."left in the garden by a family who had returned to the UK and the neighbour rang KAR"........"this one was adopted by a local family whose children fell in love with it when they visited, we then went and re-rescued it when we had a report that it was chained up in the heat away from the house with no food or water."

continued...

puppylover

Message Posted:
06/08/2009 07:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 18 in Discussion

At this point I was biting my lip to stop the tears.....utterly heartbreaking.

We continued walking round and at every enclosure and kennel we were greeting with barks and wagging tails.

One dog launched its self at Susanne.......paws around her hips, head on her chest and wanted cuddles.

We then chatted to two guys who give their time to help out. One had just returned from doing the vet run and the other was cleaning out the puppy pen.

Both were very cheerful and obviously dedicated to what must be a thankless task.

At this point I commented to my hubby that there was no way I could do what they do.

It takes a certain group of people to endure the conditions under limited resources with little thanks for what they do to make our four legged friends as comfortable as they can in the knowledge that the majority of these animals will never have the benifit of a home to call their own.

The reason I am posting is to give praise where it is due.

continued.........

puppylover

Message Posted:
06/08/2009 07:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 18 in Discussion

I know on occasions KAR has been an emotive subject on this board but if you have never been to the centre....please go and visit.

It really has opened my eyes up to the dedications of this small group of workers who need all the help and support from us animal lovers.

I apologise for this post being so long winded.....but.....there is some good news that came out of our visit!!

I lived up to my board name "puppylover".......I am fostering one of the puppies that was featured in yesterday's Cyprus Today.

Page 8....he's the first one on the left of the picture....6 weeks old and adorable.

He will be joining our dog, 2 cats, 2 kittens and a cockatiel.

smithy

Message Posted:
06/08/2009 07:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 18 in Discussion

Judy

Thanks for sharing that with us, and how lovely of you to adopt one of those beautiful puppies,

Good posting about KAR for once.

Sheila x

puppylover

Message Posted:
06/08/2009 08:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 18 in Discussion

Thank you Shiela.

Still feeling very emotional about our visit yesterday.....wish I could have bought them all home.

Have named our new addition...."Alfie"

Have a good day.

Judy x

smithy

Message Posted:
06/08/2009 08:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 18 in Discussion

May Alfie have a long and happy life with you

sheila x

Lilli

Message Posted:
06/08/2009 11:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 18 in Discussion

hI PUPPYLOVER.Im so pleased for the little mite. He will have a wonderful home. When I sawthe picture I wanted to take them but over ruled by Guido.It must be awful to see all those poor animals there with no hope. I couldnt go there. Its bad enough finding them on the street but to see them on mass would tear me apart. Well done

pinkchilli

Message Posted:
06/08/2009 12:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 18 in Discussion

At last some FACTS by someone who took the time and trouble to discover first-hand what happens.

Well done.

lesleyd

Message Posted:
06/08/2009 18:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 18 in Discussion

Hi puppylover

At long last we have finally got someone that has taken the time to go to take a look at what is going on at the rescue I just wish that more people would do the same and stop listening to idle gossip everything that you have said is true.

And I know for a fact that as soon as my husband and I come to live in Cyprus our lives will be filled with helping as much as we can at Kar plus adopting as many animals as we can.

I wish you well with your new puppy I am sure that you will receive much fun and love from him.

minertor

Message Posted:
06/08/2009 18:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 18 in Discussion

To all that have never visited KAR. Get yourself some stout walking boots and take a couple of dogs for a walk. It takes about 90 mins to follow the track, up, down, up, down, it really gets the blood flowing and the chest heaving. The upside, apart from the dogs, are the views. It really is a worthwhile experience. Do Not go in hunting season, the hills are alive with the sound of, certainly not music. What they shoot at beats me although there is spoor pointing towards deer, rabbits etc, but I've never seen any up five fingers.

Take some dog/cat food with you as a prezzy.

spider

Message Posted:
06/08/2009 19:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 18 in Discussion

Puppylover good luck with little Alfie..I do hope you end up keeping him.and all works out well..

We too have been up to Kar,and yes it takes a good sort of person..strong too..Its a bit like working within the care sector,it takes a special sort to be able to do it..Hats off to them all.

Spider,X

Pipie

Message Posted:
06/08/2009 21:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 18 in Discussion

I know we can donate to Kar but have often wondered why Kar could not arrange for a trolly to be stationed at supermarket exits so we can contribute dog food /dog biscuits toys /fleeces etc . Good luck with Alfie Judy !!!!

Jeannie

Message Posted:
06/08/2009 21:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 18 in Discussion

Judy

Well done!! Paul & I have been saying for years that we will visit, but I haven't yet plucked up the courage (for obvious reasons).

Good to hear a 'straight from the horse's mouth' report on this.

Kind regards and best wishes.

J

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
06/08/2009 21:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 18 in Discussion

From the heart! Very well done, puppylover!

I hope it silences the moaners and whingers who think that complaining on this board helps dogs and cats an the KAR workers.

Hans Doeleman (lifetime KAR member).

puppylover

Message Posted:
07/08/2009 07:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 18 in Discussion

Thank you all for all your best wishes and comments.

"Alfie" is settling in well and really is a little cutie.

Although we are only fostering him at the moment......we will be keeping him.

I am so glad that for once this thread has not been hijacked by the anti KAR brigade and I hope that more people visit the centre to see for themselves what really goes on behind the scenes.

frontalman

Message Posted:
07/08/2009 08:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 18 in Discussion

Well done for taking puppy in. We know Suzanne well, she's a diamond and has six dogs at home herself. First visit to KAR is a bit daunting because you don't know what to expect. Subsequent visits are less of a strain (for us anyway!). It is heartbreaking to see so many needy animals, but the carers are all good people and do their best. We have three large dogs, two of which have been through the KAR system.

Tinkie

Message Posted:
07/08/2009 08:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 18 in Discussion

Pipie, the KAR do Supermarket begs, usually at Lemar, and I think its the last Friday of every of month...check with them, you can donate food or cash to them.

fire starter

Message Posted:
07/08/2009 10:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 18 in Discussion

well done puppy lover.

when you said you couldn't do what they do it reminded me of my younger sister.

she left school and went to work at a vets, a local pet shop who sold puppies took in some sick pups and the vet was treating them, one by one they died. everynight she would come home and sob and sob. it got so bad my parents insisted she left the job and took another career direction. we just couldn't stand it.

they are very brave people at kar and they work very hard.

i can't actually believe i agee with dc for once !

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.