North Cyprus Tourist Board - Ledra street crossing closed again
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Ledra street crossing closed again

Ledra street crossing closed again

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus Border Crossings

» See All Threads on Cyprus Border Crossings

paul90

Message Posted:
03/04/2008 22:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 38 in Discussion

Channel 4 news just reported that in the past hour the GCs have closed the crossing because the TC "have broken the rules".

No further details known.

coffer

Message Posted:
03/04/2008 22:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 38 in Discussion

How the world must laugh at this pathetic joke they call Cyprus politics. Why can't people grow up and act like civilized human beings!

ukturk

Message Posted:
03/04/2008 23:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 38 in Discussion

hi paul

yes the lokmaca gate has been closed on the greek cypriot side because once again the greeks complained that turkish cypriot police were policing near to the u.n buffer zone but not actually in the buffer zone because this would not be allowed by the u.n

a spokesman for the greek cypriot government stefanos stefanou said they would not tolerate a police force that was not reconised by the e.u or u.n to police the area, but its ok for greek cypriot police to police their side without complaints first they say they wont open the gate unless the turkish army can not be seen so like idiots we agree to this and now they complain about turkish cypriot police being in the area we cant do nothing right in their eyes same old sh.it!!!!

it did not take long for them to complain about something did it and most of you guys think a peacefull solution on unification can happen, thats why i will always say and stand by on what i say unification is not the way forward two seperate states which reconise each other is good enough because after half a day of symbolic procedings its back to the old ways of nit picking and bitching

regards

ukturk

Dusterbruce

Message Posted:
03/04/2008 23:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 38 in Discussion

I hope reunification never happens.

A solution yes, reunification no. The Greek Cypriots can never be trusted to play fair.

billybob

Message Posted:
04/04/2008 00:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 38 in Discussion

HEY HEY

UKT FOR PRESIDENT

no unification just a settlement

panhandler

Message Posted:
04/04/2008 00:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 38 in Discussion

Well said to all !

Never trust a greek bearing gifts

The Turkish polititions and the leftie do gooders in the EU moan about military intervention of the Turkish army in political situations but how wise and true the words of your military commanders have been in recent days as well as throughout recent history, these old guys are truely your saviours I wonder if you all truely appreciate and respect just how much .

N

Regards

Pan

panhandler

Message Posted:
04/04/2008 00:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 38 in Discussion

No retreat no surrender

andre 514

Message Posted:
04/04/2008 00:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 38 in Discussion

this is sad, hope the un can help sort something out

we are torturing ourselves with the dream that the south

will foster a taiwan-style solution...

that may well happen but only in the very long term

but here and now the hostility from one side and suspicion

from the other are such that nobody can compromise

besides which don't you have an either-or situation?

ie either the island can be united along 1960 lines (gulp!)

or it's formally divided into two autonomous provinces

but hey!

northern cyprus is a beautiful and unique place

(we will overlook the recent dust storm)

its sights its sounds its diversity...enjoy what you've got

and make it still better

as my old mother used to say "worse things happen at sea"

whatever that means

andre

ukturk

Message Posted:
04/04/2008 01:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 38 in Discussion

hi all

panhandler coming from a turkish cypriot who lives in turkey aswell as cyprus, i trully appreciate and understand the point our turkish mainland brothers did for me and my ansestors and the whole of the turkish cypriot race under the guidance of the president of turkey at that time ecevit god rest his soul (died in 2007)

because if it was not for him ordering the army to go and help the defenceless turkish cypriot race there would not be any turkish man or child still living aswell as our turkish mothers being ethnic cleansed by the means of rape and the innocent greek cypriots who were getting slaughtered by nikos samsun and his eoka mainland greek terrorists because they belived in peace and not forgetting the poor british peace keepers being killed on that very street that why it has the name of the 'murder mile'

the only thing that saddens and angers me, is when i speak to some of the turkish cypriot youth all they say is they dislike the turkish mainlanders (they call them kara sakal - black beard) and the army and i have to remind them if it was not for the turkish army you would probabley not be here or you would be speaking greek and have greek blood because your gran or great gran would have been raped by a greek mainlander

so long live turkey and kktc!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry to bang on a bit but i feel very passianote about this situation

warm regards to you all

ukturk

ukturk

Message Posted:
04/04/2008 01:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 38 in Discussion

hi andre

i just read your post after i posted mine

what you say is true but one thing i dont agree with what you say and you will be know what beacuse you put a 'gulp' at the end of it is having a united cyprus along the same line as in the 60's it is because of this so called peace solution most of the trouble started by giving us turkish cypriots second class rights and treating us like dogs while the greek cypriots enjoyed first class status polictally and civially and when markarios decided to completly abolish all kinds of rights to the turks by the order of the 13 points the turks were getting victimised and they had to flee to the enclaves but this came to bite makrios in the arse because he was overthrown and samson and the eoka's tried to assasinate him and he fleed also and let his own people die and suffer

so in my view absoultey no no no way can we have a unified cyprus on the same lines as the constitution of the 60's because it shows the greek cypriots can not be trusted because the power goes to their head

regards

ukturk

livethedream

Message Posted:
04/04/2008 06:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 38 in Discussion

'Ledra Street, which had come to symbolise the partition of the island, was declared open by local officials.

It was then closed again for a couple of hours by the Greek Cypriots, after what they called an illegal Turkish Cypriot police patrol.

The crossing was finally re-opened later on Thursday evening after mediation by UN officials.

Protesters had gathered on both sides of the barrier, chanting "Cyprus belongs to its people", after the street had been closed again.

"After consultations with the UN, we have been given assurances that this will not happen again," Kypros Michailidis, Nicosia's Greek Cypriot police chief, told the Associated Press news agency.'

Excerpt from BBC News

elko2

Message Posted:
04/04/2008 09:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 38 in Discussion

The Greek Cypriots have the bloody cheek. They allowed protesters with posters to cross over to the green line against all agreements, the UN stood by and when the TC police intervened they started the outcry- something they are experts at.

ismet

andre 514

Message Posted:
04/04/2008 10:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 38 in Discussion

hi uk turk,

the "gulp" was supposed to mean "unacceptable"

trouble is much of the international community would imagine

that the 1960 contitution looks very fair power sharing and so on

paper guarantees etc etc etc

in the end the other side just did what they wanted until they were stopped

andre

ukturk

Message Posted:
04/04/2008 11:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 38 in Discussion

hi andre

i agree mate, and yes the gulp was trully unacceptable lets hope this dont happen again, but it could have happend with the anan plan which once again gave the power to the greeks, but at that time the tukish cypriots were so desperate for change they accepted it while the greeks did not because they thought they would not get any compensation on their lost properties and land,

in actual fact thank god they did say no!!!!, i dont like the fact only having a bit part in the government of a unified cyprus and giving the whole of famagusta back and only having parts of girne left, so lets hope this plan does not get revised for our own sake!!!!

like i said before a seperation is beter than any unification because if the greeks are complaing on such trival things like the lokmaca gate then god knows what will happen if we were to unifiy they will want all the pie and lets hope talat does not give in, we can only pray!!!!

warm regards to you mate and all

ukturk

ukturk

Message Posted:
04/04/2008 12:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 38 in Discussion

hi all

i agree with you elko bloody cheek, the gate had only be opened for a few hours before they complained lets see what the coming months hold especially with the two leaders supposed to meet in june, and its us turks are always compromising remember it was us first who tore down the wall in lokmaca and also it was us who relaxed the boundary restricitons in 2003, now they are talking about opening another gate in yeşilirmak guzelyurt

regards

ukturk

Tiggy

Message Posted:
04/04/2008 12:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 38 in Discussion

The GC's have got the moaning side of things down to a fine art. Still early days of the talks yet so the TC side need to see how it progress's and what is on the table for agreement.

Both sides have to be considered as equal partners’ and no return to 2nd class citizenship for the TC people will ever be accepted by them. If something good comes out of it I will be delighted, but if it is a one way street then the TC will be better off independent. Since partition and army protection no one has suffered murder or barbaric treatment that was dished out pre 1974

Looking at the world map, Cyprus is nestled right underneath mainland Turkey and a long distance from Greece. Their is no way that the Greeks will ever consider coming across to show force. A more human approach from them is the only way to get the country once again called CYPRUS and to be shared by all Cypriots in an equal relationship.

NC is truly a beautiful place, at the moment only enjoyed by people who if treated in a decent and respectful way, have proved in the past are willing to share with one and all.

Have a nice day.

Tiggy

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
04/04/2008 13:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 38 in Discussion

I have a feeling that more and more "incidents" will be reported to the UN on the Ledra Street control, just down to the simple fact that the distance between the 2 posts is so short and the border will be closed for another few hours. Of course this is what certain people hope for and if locals turn up to cross and can't then they'll give up on the idea and it will be crossing point that nobody uses.

In the days after '74 where GC's and TC's could see each other at certain positions along the green line, complaints to the UN were thick and fast into the UN. Most were ludicrous; "he stared at me", "he licked his tongue out at me", "he pointed his gun at me menacingly", "he shouted obsenities at me." They were worse than children in a play ground. I still think those days could return at this crossing point.

dodger

Message Posted:
04/04/2008 15:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 38 in Discussion

Seems to be opening and closing more times then a whores legs.Is it open now or closed,

Paul.

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
04/04/2008 15:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 38 in Discussion

As of 1pm today, 04/04/08, it was open. But don't forget it only takes a few seconds to close it!

newlad

Message Posted:
04/04/2008 21:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 38 in Discussion

Closed for effes break.

newlad

Message Posted:
06/04/2008 20:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 38 in Discussion

Just heard that the reason that the crossing was closed the other day was due to a small demonstration by greek cyps waving anti turk cyps banners,

Paul.

Bilko

Message Posted:
07/04/2008 09:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 38 in Discussion

Considering the widespread use of narcotics in the south - see yesterday's Sunday Mail; we ought to beware of ...

Geeks bearing spliffs!!

simbas

Message Posted:
07/04/2008 12:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 38 in Discussion

is this what we will be looking forward to now ????????

sylvie

Message Posted:
07/04/2008 13:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 38 in Discussion

i jum into the forum because all my friends in france told me that they heared bad news about the crossing in cyprus - the information are always given against theorth and it doesn t surprise me after all theses years - i was, in fact, before 24 for the reunification and was participating in a cyprus forum very actively but 2 weeks before the G turned there back and i realized y husband was right he use to say : a greek will stay a greek and things will never change - i was naive but now i realize he had always be realistic so am i now !!! they just think of themselves and they still beleive they are the only one loosing properties - my husband is born in limassol in 50 he father died in 63 - he mother left her properties in74 and came in a bus with the pictures of her family and title deeds - we never had compensation and still we were going to accept réunification - and now after 2004 - we do not want it - they show their faces once again !!!

ukturk

Message Posted:
07/04/2008 15:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 38 in Discussion

hi all

i agree bilko there is a bad epidemic happening in the south concerning drugs, but the cases i have heard off have all been english getting caught especially with this last one in limassol a couple and there 17 year old boy got arrested for growing 60 cannabis plants, as tourisim gets bigger this problem will get bigger things like extacy pills in the night clubs is a big problem in places like ayıa napa lets hope this dont happen in the north and if you are going to do this things keep it to yourself then you wont be accused of supplying or harming anyone else!!!!

regards

ukturk

newlad

Message Posted:
07/04/2008 23:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 38 in Discussion

Hi all, the post seems to have gone astray somewhat.Maybe all you narcotics experts would like to start a seperate post.Call the f.b.i. lol,

Have a great evening,

Paul

Azanava

Message Posted:
07/04/2008 23:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 38 in Discussion

hi there

I have got a question,if any body can answer me back i would appreciate it alot.

i have been offered a job in south cyprus ,in famagusta's south part,and I am a temporary resident of north Cyprus...I want to see if i can pass the border every day or not?is it open at the moment ,if not what will be the procedure for me to cross it?

Kind regards,

Azanava

newlad

Message Posted:
07/04/2008 23:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 38 in Discussion

Hi Azanaya,

Lots of people cross from north to south everyday so this wont be a problem,

Regards,

Paul.

ukturk

Message Posted:
08/04/2008 11:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 38 in Discussion

hi azanava

welcome to the forum, you wont have any problems crossing the border everyday and you say you have been offered a job in the south of famagusta, so you will have to cross from the famagusta check point into paralimni in the south

hope this helps

ukturk

newlad

Message Posted:
08/04/2008 20:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 38 in Discussion

Hi Erkan hope you are well,

Is the famagusta check point a drive through as well as walk,

Regards,

Paul.

newlad

Message Posted:
08/04/2008 20:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 38 in Discussion

Hi all,

Just been reading that 20,000 people have taken advantage of the ledra street crosing.And places such as Arasta in the north report a 100 per cent increase in business long may it continue,

Regards,

Paul.

Prionsias

Message Posted:
08/04/2008 20:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 38 in Discussion

Hi all,

Anybody aware of the changes in N.Ireland. respect for difference and equality with an ALL inclusive settlement. Lets all do our bit to move forward.

ukturk

Message Posted:
08/04/2008 22:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 38 in Discussion

hi paul

im fine thanks hope you are well notheard from you in a bit, yes the famagusta crossing is a drive thru aswell as walk thru, when we do go over to the dark side i mean the greek side (sorry i could not help myself!!!) i have only used this crossing

warm regards

ukturk

Toon Army

Message Posted:
09/04/2008 22:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 38 in Discussion

Could someone please advise me

We hope to visit Nicosia in May when we are over and now the Ledra Steet crossing has opened we may visit (the dark side) thats just for you Ukturk -LOL If we walk over to the south do we need to show our passports at the crossing or can we just walk over and then come back into the north

Thanks Christine

ianwfs

Message Posted:
10/04/2008

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 38 in Discussion

The crossing is a border, just like the others, and the same rules apply.

Ian

simbas

Message Posted:
10/04/2008 06:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 38 in Discussion

i've only been to the south once , and i have never felt the urge to return there again , i for one will not be using the crossing .

have a good day all , simbas

ukturk

Message Posted:
10/04/2008 10:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 38 in Discussion

hi chris

if you do intend to go over to the dark side on the arasta road (this is the actual name of the road in turkish) thru the lokmaca gate (the turkish name) then you will need to show your passport you will be given a piece of paper to fill in your name and passpaort number and this will be stamped rather than your passport good luck!!!!

i read the other day in a turkish newspaper that greek police were left shocked when a senior turkish cypriot police officer changed out of his police clothes crossed the border and went up to the greek police and handed them back a wallet which had 250euros in cash 2 credit cards and personal info that a greek cypriot person had droped while visting the north now thats honesty!!!

which leads me to think would a greek police officer do the same what do yuo guys think????

regards

ukturk

newlad

Message Posted:
10/04/2008 20:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 38 in Discussion

Maybe the greek police officer would close the border while he counted his money,then blame the turks,

Paul.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.