North Cyprus Tourist Board - Do Russian Passport holders require a visa for the TRNC?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Do Russian Passport holders require a visa for the TRNC?

Do Russian Passport holders require a visa for the TRNC?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Moover321

Message Posted:
08/08/2009 10:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 23 in Discussion

I am sure someone here will have the answer!

Does a Russian Passport holder travelling from Moscow to Ercan require a visa before deaprture in Moscow or can they get the visa at Ercan?

Thanks in advance!

proger1

Message Posted:
08/08/2009 10:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 23 in Discussion

I am not sure about flying though Turkey and staying in Transit but if you enter Turkey through the passport check in at the airport you need to pay for a visa and the visa desk before going to passport control.

Last time my wife and daughter who are Russian came through we had 4 hours to wait so we got the visa for them at $20 each and then there was no other payment to enter at Ercan.

I am pretty sure you would need to pay for the visa somewhere but we have always done visa on arrival.

When we contacted the local TRNC office they said we needed a letter of invitation but after having gone to the bother of getting these twice we have never been asked for them.

I hope this helps, Paul

Moover321

Message Posted:
08/08/2009 11:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 23 in Discussion

Thanks Paul!

They are coming via Turkey (Istanbul) by Turkish Airlines. I saw on the Ercan site,

http://www.cypnet.co.uk/ncyprus/city/nicosia/ercan/index.html

- that a visa is NOT required! But you know it is sometimes hard to get the 'correct' information!

I am not sure of the transit time in Turkey, I assume it is one and half hours or so!

renelapin

Message Posted:
08/08/2009 12:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 23 in Discussion

If they don't leave the airport in Istanbul they need no visa at all. Perhaps they'll have to show their return

ticket at Ercan.

Regards

Rene

TheSaints

Message Posted:
08/08/2009 13:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 23 in Discussion

Hi,

my wife is Russian and she has never had a visa before we arrive at Ercan, we do not leave the airport at Istanbul and when we arrive at Ercan they give her the same 3 months I get free of charge. We have made this trip several times to date without any problem.

negativenick

Message Posted:
08/08/2009 16:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 23 in Discussion

from the horse's mouth....

http://www.turkishcyprus.com/tourist-guide-general-information.html

andre 514

Message Posted:
08/08/2009 16:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 23 in Discussion

a russian friend studying in limassol was told locally she cannot visit the north,

of course there is no problem at all doing this provided they landed at larnaca

we checked at the trnc booth on our side of the green line

proger1

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 07:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 23 in Discussion

Yet again I would like to say a big thank you to all who have answered the questions here.

I was under the impression that my wife and daughter could only stay in NC for 60 days because that is the length of the turkish Visa they are given but after following up on someone elses questions and the information passed on by others I realise that she has 90 days in NC regardless of the turkish visa.

Thanks again to all, I would have felt a little stupid if I had flown them out after 60 days if the residency has problems only to find that they had still 30 days allowance.

guinness

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 09:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 23 in Discussion

Proger/Moover

The normal TRNC allowance is 30 days, and in fact for single women from FSU it can be as little as 15 days. It is down to the admitting officer. You can get 90 if you enter together and present your passports together and they both have the same family name, then you politely request the "90 days for my wife as well please?". Otherwise there is a greater chance it will be 30 days only. I have heard of some people making application for an extension of visa at a police station, but don't know what else has to be submitted.

The great problem is that we all tend to have different experiences with different admitting officers ! HTH

guin

proger1

Message Posted:
10/08/2009 10:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 23 in Discussion

Thanks Guin, you are correct. I checked my wife and daughters passports last night and the 3 occasions they have travelled with me they have been given 30 days even though I was given 90.

Although we are married we have not changed their surnames to mine for visa issues which would arrise in the middle east as we would need the natural fathers permission to change our daughters name and he would never give it.

I do carry the wedding certificate with me so on the next trip I will request the 90 days for them (Politely) and hope that the wedding cert is enough proof.

Thanks again, it just goes to show that every now and again this Forum can deliver useful information without abuse and bias.

Paul

basheer

Message Posted:
10/08/2009 11:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 23 in Discussion

hi my girlfriend is russian i always make sure she land lanica and i collect her there and bring her up to the north , i think you do need a visa so book a hotel for her in the north so she can get peace ,they think the russians that come to the north go and work in russian broffles as we have loads in the north ,and if she flys from russian to turkey then to north ercan she will never be allowed in the greekside so book a nice hotel in ayia napa adams beach wonderful 5 star hotel great staff and people good service send your russian friend the confirmation to get 6month visa then all she needs is flights to larnica after that

from russia with love always

ya ochin loobloo russki women

ya eta moya deevooska russian

and will always be russian

amen lol

goodluck m8

basheer

Message Posted:
10/08/2009 12:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 23 in Discussion

o yeah

only euro passports and british passports dont need visa

everyone else does including muskva :(

100percent sure on that one ok

proger1

Message Posted:
10/08/2009 12:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 23 in Discussion

Basheer,

As helpful as that info may be, the question was whether they needed a visa before arriving in the North

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
10/08/2009 19:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 23 in Discussion

re msg 1

Russian Passport holders flying to Ercan / Tymbou - via Turkey - but not leaving the airport - do NOT need to pre arrange a Visa

Russian passport holders flying via any "rump" RoC airport DO need a visa for the RoC - arranged BEFORE departure - but it is currently FREE !

re 7 Andre_514

>>a russian friend studying in limassol was told locally she cannot visit the north,

of course there is no problem at all doing this provided they landed at larnaca

we checked at the trnc booth on our side of the green line<<

WHO told her such nonsense! ? Passports are NOT checked by "rump" RoC when heading north.. via car, and rarely going in or out on foot at Ledra Palace..

Naturally, the SBA do the job correctly and check everyone's passport ! ;)

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
10/08/2009 20:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 23 in Discussion

re 11 Basheer

>>ya ochin loobloo russki women << Does YOUR lady know you very much love Russian Women, in general ? ;)

>>ya eta moya deevooska russian << " I am my Russian lady?" .... is that what you are trying to say ;) ?!

As long as the Russian person has return flights, accommodation booked / or a "Assumption of Responsibilty" form signed by an EU citizen, it is a doddle to get a RoC visa.

spudlov

Message Posted:
10/08/2009 20:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 23 in Discussion

My wife's mother, who is Russian, flew from Moscow to Istanbul with Aeroflot and then on to Ercan with Turkish Airlines. Although she didn't leave the airport, she was required to pay 20 dollars for a visa because she had to take her luggage from one plane to another via customs.

Spud

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
10/08/2009 20:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 23 in Discussion

re Spudlov

So she had to buy a TR Visa.. not a "TRNC" one..

Good point - one needs to know if one is transiting or must collect one's luggage - to collect the luggage one MUST go through passport control :(

proger1

Message Posted:
10/08/2009 21:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 23 in Discussion

That is a good and valid point, as has been explained to me very few airlines are on an agreement with Turkish Airlines for the Ercan leg and therefore you do need the Turkish Visa to get the Bags and check in.

You did forget to metion that you can also get a Schengan Visa Mark as well as an RoC but it is probably much more complicated to get.

As for getting the RoC visa, I was told that although it was as you say free I would have to send the passport to another country and it could take up to 3 weeks to get it back, not a good solution for me I'm afraid. Don't know if it's easy to get one in Russia

spudlov

Message Posted:
10/08/2009 21:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 23 in Discussion

You are correct mmmmmm, a TR visa

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
12/08/2009 10:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 23 in Discussion

Re 18

Hi Paul

the "RoC" aren't in Schengen.. they "asked" for a delay in their join date... hmmmmmmmm

Having a Schengen visa would merely 2help" get a RoC one.

Getting a RoC one in Russia pretty easy.. esp if booking via a Ru based tour operator specializing in RoC holidays.. They'll even get you a "voucher for a accomodation" if your guests are staying in private accommodation....

Moover321

Message Posted:
12/08/2009 11:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 23 in Discussion

Just a quick note to say a very BIG thank you to everyone - the information has been very useful and I am sure not only to me! I knew you guys would come up 'trumps'. Thanks! M321

renelapin

Message Posted:
13/08/2009 23:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 23 in Discussion

Bah - how much words for such an easy matter. Just go. Me and my wife Oksana - ukrainian passport-, international marriage document with me, German, did it several times. No problem at all entering Cyprus.

No problem LCA, no problem ECN. Why discussing to death ?

Regards

Rene

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
14/08/2009 03:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 23 in Discussion

Hi Rene,

re msg 22

Because not everyone has read of our exploits ;)

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.