North Cyprus Tourist Board - Heart Health - Lowering Cholesterol
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Heart Health - Lowering Cholesterol

Heart Health - Lowering Cholesterol

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Falcon

Message Posted:
08/08/2009 20:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 20 in Discussion

I have been told that certain foodstuffs are available which are enhanced with plant sterols (low-fat yoghurt, margarine, spreads and some drinks for example). When taken as part of a low fat diet these enhanced products are stated to lower blood cholesterol by a significant factor. It would seem there is quite a choice of these products in the UK. The brand name I have been given is "Benecol". Has anyone come across any of these foods/drinks in the TRNC. If so I shall be much obliged if they could let me know where they have seen them.

Jeannie

Message Posted:
08/08/2009 20:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 20 in Discussion

Peter - welcome to the Forum.

As you rightly say, there is a large range of supposed "cholesterol reducing" products available in the UK and the Benecol brand is widely advertised, amongst others.

My mother-in-las has been using these products in her diet for many years, in addition to taking a statin, but still has high cholesterol.

I must say that I have never seen the brand for sale in NC, but then, I haven't been looking for it! I feel sure someone on here will point you in the right direction, if such a product is available.

Good luck.

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
08/08/2009 21:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 20 in Discussion

Becol low fat margarine in the supermarkets there, the same Benecol but a lot cheaper. Don't know if they have the yogurts though also get the light milk o% fat.

Maz

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 01:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 20 in Discussion

I love butter, but gave it up when I was advised it was in the interests of longevity, so I don't need Benecol. But, I was assured by a doctor (who may have been wrong) that for Benecol to actually help lower choleswterol one would have to eat a bucketful a day. Much better to stuck to interesting bfrown bread and jam. Saves calories, cholesterol and money.

As to low fat yoghurt - I am sorry folks, that although I believe in shopping local, there is a Greek( dare I utter the word) brand called Zeta that tastes like cream and has virtually no fat. Nothing to touch it in the north, and you have to go south to get it. Believe me, to beat cholesterol (apart from Lipitor and the like), just eat plenty of salads, fruitg grains etc.

May you have many years of fat free and healthy living.

JohnW

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 06:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 20 in Discussion

http://ezinearticles.com/?Lower-Cholesterol-Naturally---Alternatives-to-Statin-Drugs&id=73491

http://ezinearticles.com/?id=2054622&opt=print

scoobydoo

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 10:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 20 in Discussion

Hi Peter,

My husband also has high cholesterol and was advised to use products that have plant sterols but we have found these are impossible to find in the TRNC however they are widely available in the south and are called Pro-Activ. We have even asked a couple of supermarkets here to stock these products as there must be more than my husband with this problem.

It has made an huge impact on reducing his cholesterol level without having to change his diet too much as there wasn't too much he could change anyway (expect reduce his wine intake!) as he eats fairly healthily. He used to be about 8 and has got down to 3.5 to 4.

He makes sure he has at least three 'portions' of Pro-Activ per day as was recommended. It is expensive to buy but we consider it worth it for the health reasons alone and these products do work better with some people more than others.

You can buy milk, margarine, yoghurts and drinks.

I must add that you should not bring dairy product from the south

scoobydoo

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 10:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 20 in Discussion

............ it is a chance you take and they will be taken from you should you get stopped!

booitsme

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 10:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 20 in Discussion

Hi there, a good (and very cheap) way to reduce your cholesterol is to have porridge each day for breakfast. Not that a hot breakfast is what you want in this weather, but it has been proven that 25g of porridge oats a day helps to reduce cholesterol. So do fish, nuts, pulses and olive oil. The strangest things have a very high cholesterol level - such as prawns! If you do resort to taking a statin please be aware that if you start to get any muscle pains STOP TAKING THE TABLETS. Sometimes high cholesterol isn't anything to do with diet it is just something the body produces naturally. Good luck

Aussie

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 11:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 20 in Discussion

Similar products with plant sterols such as proactive under the Flora brand are sold in Australia and claimed to reduce cholesterol with reports of success. However there are I believe some side effects such as reducing the absorption of other vitamins and minerals but don't remember the details.

In Australia they banned use of the product in other food types such as Mayonnaise etc. due to the concern you would inject too much leaving it only in Margarine so it may pay to do some research before deciding how much to consume.

Aussie

fatboy

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 12:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 20 in Discussion

reports in the uk have now decided prawns and eggs carry good cholesterol.Just keep having bi annual check ups.

jaxgilbert

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 17:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 20 in Discussion

Hi all

I'm a Nutritionist and herbalist.

Something else that is good are all the dark fruits and vegetables, ie plums, cherries, beetroot and leafy green vegetables as they all contain antioxidants that help to clean your blood. Another thing that I recommend to my clients with high cholesterol, high blood pressure and diabetes (diet controlled or tablets), is a product called LECITHIN, it is a natural substance that our bodies make, some make more than others. Take 1 x 1200mg tablet BEFORE meals, this helps to get rid of the 'bad' fats. You can buy it from health food shops, boots or get it on line.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Jax xxx

Falcon

Message Posted:
12/08/2009 19:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 20 in Discussion

Thank you to all who provided some excellent advice and information. Guess what; when shopping in Lemar Karoglanoglu today, I saw that they now stock Kalbim Benecol Spread (Benecol under the Ulker brand name). No sign of yoghurt or drinks of this nature though. Still is a start.

Lilli

Message Posted:
13/08/2009 01:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 20 in Discussion

With the problems her yo would think they would import it befor scotch whisky etc. I take crestor jax is this ok or what else should i take xxx

stuartanstis

Message Posted:
21/05/2010 10:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 20 in Discussion

If you have problems with cholesterol, try this http://www.lipisite.com/ It helped me

japeal

Message Posted:
21/05/2010 10:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 20 in Discussion

Found following on internet re foodstuffs to help lowercholerestol

Artichokes / Avocados / Beans / Cantaloupe / Chestnuts / Figs / Fish / Garlic / Grapes / Mushrooms / Oats /

Onions / Peanuts / Prunes / Tomatoes / Walnuts / Watermelon / Wheat Germ / Wheat Bran / Yogurt

Sal1262

Message Posted:
21/05/2010 11:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 20 in Discussion

Creases on your earlobes mean you have heart disease?

jacktheladett

Message Posted:
21/05/2010 12:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 20 in Discussion

MarieB and her doctor are right, these products have excellent marketing budgets, and you would need to eat bucket loads of the stuff to possibly see any difference, has anyone really studied their studies?

Japeal and booitsme are right, if you can lower bad cholesterol by eating natural, healthy products - and, of course, resisting the stuff that causes it in the first place - instead of resorting to medication, or artificial methods, then this is the best course of action.

Deniz1

Message Posted:
21/05/2010 12:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 20 in Discussion

Benecol low fat spread available in all supermarkets here

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
21/05/2010 13:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 20 in Discussion

I understand that a lot of cholesterol is produced by the liver and that if we moderate our diets we can reduce our levels by up to 10%.

Having a level of 9.5% I could eat like a North Korean for a year and only reduce it to 8.55. Given that it should be less than 5, am I flogging a dead horse?

Shouldn't I just eat what I want and keep taking the statin pills?

JohhnyLee

Message Posted:
21/05/2010 13:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 20 in Discussion

I have reduced my cholesterol to around 3,4, I drink mainly red wine, smoke when I drink, Eat very healthy and well.

I was given 12 hours to live in 1998 due to a major Heart Viral infection, at he time I was training with Mr England Natural, (no additives or similar. ) He was Superb taught me so much, Doctors said level of fitness saved my life (and Diet)

My doctor actually says he wants my cholesterol secret, 1000 mg EPA fish oil 1 aday for last 12 years, and lots of hot chillis and spices, Heat burns fat. Diet is the most important factor.

I bet I could put you on healthy eating plans where you could still eat well, drink and get fit ,and gain much more energy,

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.