North Cyprus Tourist Board - A happy ending despite KAR's policy with taged dogs
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > A happy ending despite KAR's policy with taged dogs

A happy ending despite KAR's policy with taged dogs

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Threads on Pets, Dogs, Cats, Animals and Kyrenia Animal Rescue (KAR)

» Read about Bringing Your Pet to North Cyprus

» KAR Official Website - www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

banjo

Message Posted:
08/08/2009 22:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 37 in Discussion

I do not agree with the policy of KAR, sending taged dogs back to the streets, for more than one reason. It is cruel to the dogs (and to you and me, who want to help). There is a limit to how many dogs you and I can help. An other reason though, for me to dislike the policy, is, that a taged dog or any unwanted dog may carry a disease and pass it on to your dog/dogs. We have taged dogs in our neighbourhood, very good at climing walls, and one of those dogs gave an infection to my lovely, but no longer young dog. We were lucky, he and I, I got to the veterinarian, with my dog packed in ice and tavels sprinkeled with cold water, just in time. His temperatur was 40. It all happened very fast, just a few hours.

Thanks to my vet., and 3 days with injections, my dog is O.K., fine again. And I am very gratefull, that I still have him

berkeh2001

Message Posted:
08/08/2009 22:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 37 in Discussion

well done kar send the dogs out on the streets and more shite every where should give kar a medal not (((((

berkeh2001

Message Posted:
08/08/2009 22:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 37 in Discussion

oh and i am glad your dog is ok

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 00:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 37 in Discussion

Banjo and Berkeh

I appreciate that you are entitled to your opinion but what would you do to solve the problem of stray dogs ???

Regards

Paul

Lilli

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 01:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 37 in Discussion

non of us can we do what we can. I have to say in all honesty all we have taken in have thank god been free of anythng. God knows how. My vet tells me the same. Once I adopt one straight to the vet. The lasst kitten had one tick. Easily removed. I guess Im lucky o they are. Now one pointer and one cat have adopted us we have checked them nothing. I cant keep them bu feed and water everynight. I thank god I have suuch caring customers who also feed them xxxxxxxxxx

banjo

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 02:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 37 in Discussion

Hi Paul

There is no simple answer. But in my humble opinion; from the start, some 14 years ago, AND to day, KAR's priority no. 1 should be puppies/pregnand dogs. Do a simple calculation; 10 unwanted, young dogs, will be able to 'produce'? How many: 10x4, 10x8, 10x10.

banjo

Lilli

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 02:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 37 in Discussion

it does mot bear thinking about. I only wish I had the money. KAR are full but they live on donations I dont. Im not asking is my choice I feed love and I find shelter one day I willf ind the way xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

rowan

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 07:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 37 in Discussion

Am I the only person on here who is totallly fed up with people knocking KAR. They are not perfect and neither are their policies but they do try to help and until someone, maybe one of the "knockers", comes up with a constrctive and workable alternative, they are all there is. Either be proactive or be quiet

puppylover

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 07:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 37 in Discussion

rowan

You are not alone in your thoughts!!

I recently posted on the positive of KAR and for once it was not hi-jacked by the anti KAR bigade....got to be a first.

berkeh2001

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 07:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 37 in Discussion

hi paul as i remember in the uk dogs who don't have owners after a while they put them to sleep now i am against this but it is an option that kar could choose

catalkoykid

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 08:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 37 in Discussion

rowan and puppylover i dont knock the people that work at kar,i blame the managment with the amount of money raised each year,and there policys of putting dogs back out on the street

catalkoykid

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 08:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 37 in Discussion

with the hundreds of thousands raised each year, why not employ there own vet then they could put animals down, instead of putting them back on the streets,think of what they pay vets a year get a young vet no prob,once again bad managment

smithy

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 08:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 37 in Discussion

I agree 100% catalkoykid, employ a vet and the problem will be sorted, must be cheaper in the long run

catalkoykid

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 08:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 37 in Discussion

hi smithy its kevin they no they could employ a young vet would solve the problem,maybe they dont want to lol

Quarmby

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 09:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 37 in Discussion

Here we go again, slagging off KAR. perhaps the KAR knockers should be venting their frustrations on the TRNC Goverment, whose problem it is really, or perhaps they don't give a damn. The vets in the TRNC WILL NOT PUT HEALTHY DOGS DOWN, has it not registered with you lot yet?

Msg 12 Hundreds and thousands of what? Been to the AGM and give them your pearls of wisdom catalkoykid?

catalkoykid

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 09:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 37 in Discussion

quarmby not knocking the infantry just the generals, employ a vet,what as the trnc goverment got to do with it,every country has got animal probs, last year they raised alot of money employ a in house vet, and sort out the problem simples

catalkoykid

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 09:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 37 in Discussion

how much did that kind old lady leave them in her will last year enough for a vet im sure lol

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 09:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 37 in Discussion

Quarmby you do spout endless rubbish about the vets not putting dogs to sleep, some do, or do you know every vet in the TRNC lol...obviously not otherwise you wouldn't type such silly statements and as the catalkoy said ..it is not the infantry, it is the generals who create this situ, he has made a valid point regarding KAR employing their own vet so why don't they do it....bloody obvious why not!!!!

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 11:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 37 in Discussion

Catalkoykid/Dee

To the best of my knowledge, vets in the TRNC are not allowed to euthenise healthy dogs. If you know of a vet that is willing to engage in such a practice then why not provide a name or pester the Goverment to conduct a cull.

Banjo - Re message 6 - All dogs tagged and released back onto the streets by KAR are neutered so that they cannot have any more puppies, this has been one of KARs principle policies. It is people (mainly locals I am afraid) who refuse to have their animals neutered that perpetuate the problem of stray dogs.

As ever there are plenty of people who knock KAR but nobody ever seems to come up with a different solution.

Paul

frontalman

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 11:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 37 in Discussion

Firdez dedicates a morning every week to treating KAR dogs. I assume she charges for this service, no doubt at a special rate. The dogs do get medical care - ticks, worms, neutering before being re-introduced to the streets from whence they came. I think a dog should get a chance at life just as much as a down-and-out under the embankment in London. If you were given a choice of being dumped on the streets or topped what would you choose? I know what I'd go for.

erolz

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 11:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 37 in Discussion

berkeh2001 you say you are against the policy of destroying healthy animals but you think KAR could do this? That makes no sense to me ? Is it what you are suggesting they should do or not ?

catalkoykid am I right in thinking you are suggesting that KAR an animal welfare charity use donations made to it as such an entity to employ a vet that can carry out a policy of systematic destruction of healthy animals in large numbers so that they do not end up placed back on the streets after having been tagged neutered and treated as necessary by a vet ?

Do you really think they would continue to get the same levels of support they currently do, financial and otherwise if their main function was percieved to be the systematic killing of healthy animals ?

deecyprus4 the fact is that there are real issues both pratical and ethical with regards to vets agreeing to put down HEALTHY animals in a systematic manner.

catalkoykid

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 11:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 37 in Discussion

yes frontal but you have soup kitchens to go to and get benefit,they dont.mess 19 who said its vets in the TRNC are not allowed to euthenise healthy dogs,not allowed by who,think you will find the only people who decided it was the vets themselves, get a in house vet

catalkoykid

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 12:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 37 in Discussion

mess 21 1 big cull, then kar would have the room to look after these animals instead of putting them back on the streets,small island not a big problem 1 big cull

erolz

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 12:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 37 in Discussion

catalkoykid if a big cull was to be the appraoch taken to the problem of feral animals in North CYprus do you really believe that it should be the role of KAR an animal welfare charity to do this and not government ?

In any case according to all experience both here in Cyprus and everywhere else in the world culling is simply not an effective means of control in anything but the very short term. The simple reality is , even on a realtively small Island like Cyprus you can not cull every feral animal and also ensure that no more animals will become feral. The main limit on the number of feral animals is what the environment can support. If you reduce that number by culling you simply create a window of opportunity for those feral animals not culled , and there will ALWAYS be some, to fill up that gap until you are back at square one again and in a very short period of time.

Your issue is not animal welfare it seems to me. Your issue is YOUR welfare - you just dont want

[cont]

erolz

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 12:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 37 in Discussion

to have the bother of feral animals around you. Thankfully KAR is an animal welfare charity, concerned with trying to do what is best for animals and not concerned with solving the issue you have of living in a place with significant numbers of feral animals.

craig2536

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 12:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 37 in Discussion

i think that in the uk, still many local authorities put to sleep dogs that cannot be re-homed. Yes many dog and animal charities try to take the dogs and give them foster homes. But still many animals are destroyed every year. Unfortunately I do not see any better solution to the problem in the TRNC. I do not agree with the policy of putting dogs back onto the street. It can only cause problems, dogs are pack animals and a large group of tagged dogs would surely be a threat to children etc. They are also invoved in numerous road traffic accidents. Of course educating the local population about neutering their dogs would be advisable. These are tasks for a government that is overrun with other higher priority issues. Owners should pay a licence fee, the dogs should be tagged. Any dog not tagged or chipped must be destroyed. This is a job for the authorities not KAR which is trying to give some animals a life.Being caged for the rest of their lives, is that the answer for these dogs .

frontalman

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 12:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 37 in Discussion

Mess 22

Point taken, but life is very precious nonetheless. I have a problem killing cockroaches, I know it's necessary if you don't want to become infested. But I am aware that each of them is a wonderful creation in its own right. Incidentally none of us gets a choice as to how we're born (or do we?).

erolz

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 12:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 37 in Discussion

craig2536 thank you for you well put post.

culling is no 'simple solution'. If you are to have control of numbers by the putting down of healthy animals then it would have to a constant ongoing policy - as it is in the UK as you point out.

It is simply unrealistic to expect KAR as an animal welfare charity to make its primary task the systematic killing of healthy animals.

There are no easy answers. Just blaming KAR for not killing large numbers of healthy animals year in and year out , as seems to be catalkoykid favoured approach appears to me to be, with all due respect, a lazy and uninformed one.

gates

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 12:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 37 in Discussion

the islamic rule is you can not destroy the life of any living creature so the only one that can take a life is there god this is why there are so many dogs . they cant put them down buy law . mind you god knows who is killing the troops in afganastan ?

erolz

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 12:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 37 in Discussion

gates it is simply not true that the islamic 'rule' (law?) is that you can not kill any living creature.

In any case even if there was such an islamic 'rule' (law or tradition) then the fact is that North Cyprus is a secular state not a religious one.

There is no connection between the noth of Cyprus being predominantly muslim and the numbers of feral animals here, one has only to look to the South of Cyprus that is not predominantly muslim yet has identical issues to see this.

Codger

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 12:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 37 in Discussion

CATALKOYKID/ DEECYPRUS4

You endlessly whine on that KAR should put unwanted dogs down, you slag off and insult anyone who says that vets will not put the strays down.

Here is your chance to prove we are wrong and that you could be right.

Go out and find a vet in the TRNC who will put the animals down and then give the name of that vet to KAR who will be delighted that a vet has been found who will do the job.

Until YOU go out and do something positive I would suggest that you keep your insulting remarks to yourselves.

Catalkoykid

What PROOF do you have for your statement in message 17, hearsay and tittle tattle? Have you asked the solicitor dealing with the will because she would be very interested in talking to you about spreading rumours.

Banjo

The dog return system used by KAR is fully endorsed and reccomended by the Dogs Trust go into their site for more information. The dogs are also neutered or spayed before release so will not breed again.

Codger

itfc1978

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 13:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 37 in Discussion

Thank you to those people who have come on here with logical clear precise arguments in support of KAR.

They have done this without resorting to abuse and slander.

I hope this will put an end to the unwarrented and uneducated abuse that some, and there are very few, feel the need to lower themselves to.

You know it feels me with horror that left to these few people my three legged German Sheperd Tintin would not now be here.

He was taken in by KAR and saved,at great expense, by KAR.

craig2536

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 14:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 37 in Discussion

This must be something that is done by the government , local authorities and muhtars. As I stated before I do not agree with KARS policy, but they are a humane charity, Yes I have visited the centre , yes I did donate money , yes I supprted them by buying and returning reading books from there stalls and shop in Kyrenia.etc

It is terrible to see animals suffer. But KAR is not the answer, take up the challenge and lobby the government. Talk is cheap , actions speak louder than words. If you all feel so strongly about the dog problem get of your sunloungers and do something.

craig2536

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 14:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 37 in Discussion

get OFF youR sunloungers, sorry for the error

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 14:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 37 in Discussion

Here we go again, thread now closed.

AJ

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 14:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 37 in Discussion

This thread is now closed. Reason: Not specified.

catalkoykid

Message Posted:
09/08/2009 17:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 37 in Discussion

mess 31 tittle tattle it was in the local paper with kar thanking her and her family, get it right so you think neutered or spayed put back on the street to be starved stones thrown at them poisoned run over is the way to go i think not

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.