North Cyprus Tourist Board - Would you buy off plan again?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Would you buy off plan again?

Would you buy off plan again?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Robbie

Message Posted:
06/04/2008 04:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 25 in Discussion

Going through the motions of buying off plan can be quite a rollercoaster ride , for those that have done it can be quite rewarding , by getting a brand new apartment or villa , being able to choose tiles , bathrooms , kitchens etc, but there is always the negative side to it , when will this property be finished will i ever get it. If you are not in the country it can become a highly stressed situation by just communicating by email or phone. Alot of us have had different experiences in this , so would you do again , or once is enough?

simbas

Message Posted:
06/04/2008 06:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 25 in Discussion

hi robbie , we bought off plan with no problems , choosing a good reputable company is paramount , yes we would do it again .

regards , simbas

suntanman

Message Posted:
06/04/2008 09:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 25 in Discussion

Ask me the same question in 3 weeks time when (hopefully) have received keys to our pff plan purchase.

But at the moment I would say most deffinately not, due to all the hidden extra payments which have been added throughout the process, and not being told of them untill the bill arrived!

brian24001

Message Posted:
06/04/2008 10:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 25 in Discussion

Yes, but remember, many of us are a lot wiser now and would know better who to use for construction, or at least where to find the info.

Bit of a "if I knew then what I know now"

Would I buy off plan from same builder - yes also.

orangekazzie

Message Posted:
06/04/2008 11:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 25 in Discussion

We didn't buy off plan but still had a lot of hidden extras. Things you took for granted in the UK are not part of the included costs out here ie. meter cupboard, electricity, water connections, telegaph pole(!!), boundary walls, gate, steps down to garden (!!!!) steps to attic and attic floor tiling. We had quite a surprise when we were presented with a bill for "extras". We thought the only extra would be the block paving to the drive as this was the only extra (oh and a barbecue) thing we had asked for. When we agreed a price with our builder we agreed a "key to the door" price which in our eyes meant move in price. In his eyes it was "watertight building".

Still wouldn't change any of it and have been exceptionally happy with the standard of construction.

Karen

Turtle

Message Posted:
06/04/2008 12:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 25 in Discussion

Its certainly an experience buying off plan !!

We were recommended what is a good solicitor and a good builder but the last 12 months have been very disapointing.

Off plan in TRNC is not for me.

paulnicholas

Message Posted:
06/04/2008 15:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 25 in Discussion

Most builders in trnc want to build property as quickly as they can but for a lot of reasons some out of their control take longer than we would all like,anyone buying off plan should take build times with a pinch of salt and not plan their lives around it.

Would i do it again?NEVER!

Paul.

simbas

Message Posted:
06/04/2008 19:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 25 in Discussion

hi paul , its such a shame you had a bad experience , but not all of us do , ours was quite painless ,

regards , simbas

Cyprus8

Message Posted:
06/04/2008 20:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 25 in Discussion

We signed on the dotted line in Sept 2005 with 18 month completion.....been 'nearly' ready for last 10 months. Luckily we weren't in a major rush in the first place, and had already been advised about 'Cyprus Time' from previous purchasers. But we love our villa and the location, and we feel confident that it really is 'nearly' done. So in the scheme of things at this moment in time...Yes...we would buy off plan again.

Jarra

Message Posted:
06/04/2008 21:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 25 in Discussion

Hi Robbie

in answer to your question I would I do exactly the same again,we found the location we would like to build a property on.

We then sought advice from many friends in Cyprus who directed us to the Archetect and in turn to the Builder.

It was great to be involved on each stage of construction, slightly tweaking the original design.

Local knowledge is priceless and from the time we first located the land to the property being completed to a very high standard and receiving the Kocan has took us 2.5 years.

Also at the time we bought the land I think the majority bought off plan, now there is a lot more completed properties for sale, so really it is a buyers market.

For me though as previously stated I would do the same again except probably also look at whats available on the market as if I found the right property in the right location then I would be tempted to purchase at the right price.

In saying that I would also want to check the person selling had there Kochan and that I would need convincing I wasn't buying someone else's nightmare.

I wish everyone purchasing a property a positive result and happiness and enjoy the hospitality of the Cypriot people.

Jarra

paulnicholas

Message Posted:
06/04/2008 23:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 25 in Discussion

Hi simbas,

I have not had a bad experience,my house is nearly finished but its taken a lot longer than it should have,it has happened to a lot of people i have spoken to,i am not in a hurry so there is no pressure to finish it.

The question was would i do it again and the answer is no,there are a lot of properties for sale already built and i could buy one of the same standard cheaper than i paid for mine without the hassle.

Paul.

andre 514

Message Posted:
07/04/2008 13:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 25 in Discussion

hi everybody,

we bought off-plan when the project was nearly finished

so had a pretty good idea how it would be

developer and location first-rate, but the builder has had problems

recently leading to quite a few snagging and finishing quirks

which we are "gradually overcoming", huh!!!

because the market seems pretty slack at present

as paulnicholas says there is lots for sale...

there is obviously much to be said for avoiding off-plan buys

however if you want a particular site and a certain position

you may still need to buy off-plan

also our developer whacked three grand on the price

after we bought, since the project is nearly sold out

above really applies to holiday flats and apartments...

if you buy a villa off-plan I think you need nerves of steel

it can be worth it, despite endless difficulties and delays

you can have your unique corner of heaven

provided you remember that

yes doesn't always mean yes and no doesn't always mean no

andre

lesleyb

Message Posted:
07/04/2008 13:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 25 in Discussion

We also bought off-plan and although everything went according to plan from beginning to end we would probably go for a re-sale if we decide to move in the future.

Lesleyb

Janann

Message Posted:
07/04/2008 14:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 25 in Discussion

We have bought off-plan in both the UK and N Cyprus. Would we do it again - No Nay Never. Positive side - having everything new and to your taste. Negative side - growing old waiting.

Anvar

Message Posted:
08/04/2008 22:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 25 in Discussion

You must be joking. I bought a villa from Santa fe in Emerald bay project in Lapta. Everything is included even white goods and a.c units.

jfoggy

Message Posted:
08/04/2008 23:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 25 in Discussion

No, on reflection we would never buy off plan again, anywhere. It has taken form October 04 to August 07 to take possession of our apartment. Pleased with end result though, but a long slow process. Quite a few teething problems afterwards, but all sorted now. Have never bought a new place before this one, doubt we would ever buy anything that hadn't already been loved and lived in.

Julie

cazzie

Message Posted:
04/07/2010 18:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 25 in Discussion

No way would we buy off plan again sooo many problems. We bought off plan from Kavanlah his catch phase is This is gonna cost you extra. Was supposed to ready in march we had to stay in a hotel for three month furniture in starage dog in kennals it cost us a fortune. Needless to say we have sold up now after being ripped off big time and are back in good old Blighty. Biggest and most expensive mistake of our lives moving to Cyprus

paddywack

Message Posted:
04/07/2010 19:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 25 in Discussion

Would not buy again.period.

HildySmith

Message Posted:
04/07/2010 19:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 25 in Discussion

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER,

NO!!!!!!!!!

We did it for all the positive reasons given above and after 4 years we still do not have a house.

Now in court - but no sign of a house.

matula

Message Posted:
04/07/2010 19:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 25 in Discussion

Apart from the daily necessities I wouldn't buy anything here ever again!

honestie

Message Posted:
04/07/2010 21:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 25 in Discussion

not one person has mentioned one of the major problems od buying off plan... the title deeds. whilst you may have the ongoing problems to get the plave built and moved into when its off plan you the have the problem of obtaining the deeds which to me is the major problem as lots have found out. If problems go wrong you may have extras but nothing compared to what may happen waiting fot the transfer and possible memorandums. It is certainly a very big risk to take and one I wouldnt do again in this country not until the law is changed

HildySmith

Message Posted:
04/07/2010 22:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 25 in Discussion

i'll worry about the deeds when I get a house!!!!

the butler

Message Posted:
04/07/2010 22:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 25 in Discussion

Hi honestie,

I totally agree with you, getting the deeds is the biggest hurdle. We have had our bungalow for over 4 years, we didn't buy off plan because hubby wouldn't take that risk with our money. Why does it take so long to get parcellised and the title deed divided to individual owners. I am beginning to think it is the developers who delay this but blame the department who do the parcellisation. After all the developer will have to pay all the taxes and KDV he has collected from the sales of the properties. If anyone knows how you can hurry this along, please tell me. The developer says we could still sell the property if we wanted but who will buy a property without title deeds now? No Kocan, No money is a sensible cry, wish we had said that 4 years ago.

The butlers wife

The butlers wife

walkerscott

Message Posted:
04/07/2010 23:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 25 in Discussion

Robbie,

No matter what the developer's reputation is, they can still go bust! A home, house or apartment isn't such unless it is fully completed with deeds which are unencumbered.

No Deeds, No Money!

Only the greedy or those who think they are missing out on a bargain will take the risk! Off-Plan is taking a gamble!

joandjelly

Message Posted:
04/07/2010 23:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 25 in Discussion

Seeing as this thread was started in 2008, it would be interesting to know whether those that answered positively have actually received their Kocan.

Ref msg 15 Emerald Bay in Lapta is still not finished is it?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.