North Cyprus Tourist Board - First time visitor to Kyrenia with travel/Customs questions
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > First time visitor to Kyrenia with travel/Customs questions

First time visitor to Kyrenia with travel/Customs questions

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Kyrenia North Cyprus

» Kyrenia Cyprus Photo Gallery

» Kyrenia Sights

» Read about Cypriot Customs and Traditions

swannee7

Message Posted:
21/08/2009 21:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

Hi there. Flying to Ercan next month from Birmingham for first visit to N.Cyprus. We're smokers and would v.much appreciate any info (before reaching airport) about duty free allowances to a non-EU state. Also, are the majority of popular ciggy brands (e.g. Lambert & Butler) readily available to buy in Kyrenia? If so, any idea of costs? On return to the UK from TRC is HM Customs 'heavy brigade' in evidence? No probs coming from the Greek side into UK but we have experienced serious hold-ups from them in the past coming from Dubai, e.g. It's NOT gonna be just a smoking holiday and we're not smugglers! Seriously, we're going to love exploring and seeing places we've heard /read about and just feeling that heat! Hope someone can advise. Thanx.

wanderer

Message Posted:
21/08/2009 21:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

Buy at the airport just before you get the luggage & top up on the way out all brands £15 ish for 200 the same goes for spirits

Ballyboffin

Message Posted:
21/08/2009 21:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

Hi swannee,

There isn't any point in buying at the duty free in Birmingham, they are cheaper in TRNC. All the supermarkets sell all the UK brands. I don't know about L&B but Silk Cut Silver, one of the dearest are £24 approx 60 lira for 200 , well they were in June anyway.

Coming back to the UK from Ercan is another thing because the Customs see the flight as coming from Turkey and will be in in their droves, well they are in Belfast anyway before I am contradicted. Duty free is only 200 each.

I don't assume that you are smugglers by any means, but on one flight into Manchester a couple of years ago, it was even announced on the flight that the Customs officers were in force to search. When we left the conveyor, our bags being almost last off, there were about 10 cases just going around and no-one was claiming them ?????????????????????

Hope that you have a lovely holiday in TRNC.

knightrider

Message Posted:
21/08/2009 21:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

Hi Swannee

Agree with the previous post regarding when it's best to get them but in another post someone has said they came back a couple of weeks previous and paid around 47YTL @ Ercan for 400 L&B although I think they meant that price for 200 ?

Having travelled out to TRNC on numerous occasions you do have to be fairly careful as we have been stopped before (although we had not brought over our allowance), we landed at Stansted & wasn't told what for.

Hope this help but if you look on previous posts relating to this you will find most info you need.

Kind regards

Keith

negativenick

Message Posted:
21/08/2009 21:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

last time i returned from Ercan (via Turkey) and landed at Heathrow about 10 customs officers were waiting by the plane door as it opened, demanding to see everyones passports....

billyboy1

Message Posted:
21/08/2009 23:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

Came back last week, and lambert and butler in the supermarkets was 45ytl for 200...at the ercan airport on the way in, the ciggies were approx £11 for 200..

Came back to stanstead and there were No customs guys/ladies waiting.....to be honest I have never seen any customs on any of my return flights from N Cyprus at stanstead.....

enjoy your holiday

swannee7

Message Posted:
22/08/2009 23:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

Thanks to all of you for your replies. Most helpful and we'll definitely wait to get to Ercan B4 buying. Thanks again.

BigBen

Message Posted:
23/08/2009 19:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

The weather ıs too hot to be smoking, at 70 I do not expect you will give it up, however you will find that you will smoke a lot less at this end.

A lot of people cames for a holiday, they fell in love with TRNC and buy a holiday/retairment home, if you too makes that decition.

Please call me on 0542 850 8466 when you arrive or refer to my web. site before you come, http://www.imperialcyprus.com or e.mail me on gultekin.ben@superonline.com.

I will be to happy to help you buy your dream home.

Have a nice holiday.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.