North Cyprus Tourist Board - Is it possible to drive a car over from the uk?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Is it possible to drive a car over from the uk?

Is it possible to drive a car over from the uk?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

jinyx

Message Posted:
24/08/2009 14:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

My family ( two kids and my wife) are flying out to northern cyprus next week to live. I am looking at the possibilty of driving our car and some belongings over there very soon. Could anyone please give me an idea of the route and all the various pitfalls. I would like an idea of how long this will take and any tips to make things smoother please. More importantly is this feasible or should I forget it. Thanks

wearytravellers

Message Posted:
24/08/2009 14:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

My wife and I drove over from Scotland in July. I wouldn't do it again that's for sure, although the journey was spectacular and interesting, the beaurocracy and various "Taxes" that we paid along the way, not to mention Hotel costs was eye opening. It is a journey not for the fainthearted, IF YOU HAVE to take your car across with personal belongings....then do it, but not with the kids in tow.

How did we do it: Email me !!

elkiton

Message Posted:
24/08/2009 22:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Hi, drove over May 08 with the (new wife), deliberately took 10 days and saw Venice, Saltzburg etc etc.and had a wonderful trip. Serbia should be done without a stop.

Make sure you understand the cost of import tax / regulations on your vehicle before you arrive. Also visit the local police station / customs within a month of arrival to get your import paperwork re-stamped, there is a 700 lira fine and they impound the vehicle if (like me) you fail to read Turkish small print lol

Finally make sure all vehicle documents are originals, if not then that will get it impounded at the port...ok we had it happen twice, but with no regrets.

mail me if you want the full story we wrote it up and posted on some other board at the time.

best

TonyE

elkin_tony@yahoo.co.uk

PS be prepared to experience the "ferry from hell"

waddo

Message Posted:
24/08/2009 22:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Just out of interest. Has anybody done this trip via Greece and into TRNC from the South?

wanderer

Message Posted:
24/08/2009 23:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Waddo

There's a problem in the original port of entry being roc in that you have to come in via TR or any other port rather than roc

keithcaley

Message Posted:
25/08/2009 07:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

waddo,

if you bring a car in via roc, you can still import it to TRNC in the normal way, complete the paperwork, pay the duty etc.

BUT... roc also expect you to complete their procedures to import it - according to their records, it's still within their jurisdiction, so after the grace period, you would need to pay them import duty etc AS WELL !

A friend who brought his car in via roc, had to ship it back out via Limassol, then drive it from Athens to Mersin, and come back on the ferry to Girne, so that he could import it solely into TRNC and not into ROC as well.

If you were intending NEVER to take the car South, ever again, then perhaps it wouldn't matter - although any future owner of the vehicle would have the same problem.

If the vehicle went South (and was identified despite the TRNC licence plates) then the roc authorities could demand payment of overdue import duty and/or impound the car...

catalkoykid

Message Posted:
25/08/2009 08:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

i drove it in 5 days down to italy, and because of the time of the year no ferry to turkey, so drove through greece into turkey through turkey ferry to trnc had no probs simples.

jinyx

Message Posted:
25/08/2009 13:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Thanks catalkoykid and all you others, and I wiil contact the ones who have said I can, perhaps they can e mail me on archies58@hotmail.com . Well it would seem that it is'nt easy but it is possible. Do you have to pay duty on the car on entry or it it possible to bring it in as a tourist and then change your mind and pay the duty later, or take it out again within a certain time, (is it 12 months?). Also what about personal items?

IvorBankloan

Message Posted:
25/08/2009 13:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Hi,

If any of the feed back has put you off and you consider shipping your things out ( incl' car) I can do that for you with a Dubai based Shipping & Forwarding Co I deal with. Air, Sea, Road freight at negotiable rates.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.