North Cyprus Tourist Board - How difficult is it to get well paid construction work in the ROC?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > How difficult is it to get well paid construction work in the ROC?

How difficult is it to get well paid construction work in the ROC?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

juliachcc

Message Posted:
29/08/2009 19:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

Hi everybody

When we eventually move out to TRNC it is likely that one, or both of us will have to work. Judging from the many comments made on this board, it may not be possible (or easy - or well paid) to find work in the north. I currently work in a special school teaching ICT, and my partner works in construction - infastructure, driving and operating excavators, dozers, graders etc. Here in the UK, he mainly works in: motorway/road construction, housing etates, and business parks. (30+ years experience)

Obviously, there is a great need for this work on both sides of the island. My questions are:

How difficult is it to obtain this type of work, how well is it paid, and is anybody working in a similar enviroment that can pass on contacts etc?

Many thanks for any sensible replys

Julia

cronos

Message Posted:
29/08/2009 19:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

Sorry to be a naysayer Julia,but the construction industry in NC is in serious decline,due to the dramatic downturn in the property market.

Even if your parner could find work,it would probably be at rates of pay about a third of what he got in the UK,as he would be competing with low paid Turkish mainlanders.

Sorry to burst the bubble, but good luck with your plans.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
29/08/2009 19:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

It would be nigh on impossible for him to get a work permit in the North + he'd have to work in 40 Celsius + heat - doubt he could hack it and be paid a pittance as well.

You could try RoC, no work permit required, but would have to start own business....not worth the risk - many have tried and been 'put out of business' by Greek Cypriots.

I've only been here 27 years, so no need to listen to me!

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
29/08/2009 19:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

Hi julia

I THINK you'll find that BOTH sides of the "divide" are affected by the world-wide downturn.. PARTICULARLY construction.

You'd need to be fluent in Turkish or Greek ( respectively) to be able to work with your potential colleagues to get a well-paid job, I feel :(

Rates of pay - though better in the "rump" RoC are not comparable with the UK ...

As with Cronos- Good Luck

I've asked - many times - what happens re Tax/ Nat ins if one lives in the "north" and works in the south, but never had a sensible answer..

There must be TCs that do this... may be they don't come on here ?! ;)

gates

Message Posted:
29/08/2009 19:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

you wont earn more than 1200ytl a month as they are queing for those jobs and if you are not a cyp you need a work permit and they have a que so the chances are nil but we had some teachers over from kuwait on one of our developments and they were ofered a job at the gua but wage £1000 a month so before you come i do a little investegateing first as many out of work and lots out of money

juliachcc

Message Posted:
30/08/2009 20:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

Thanks for the replies

I understand that construction is at an all time low, but hopefully, by the time we come out in a couple of years, it will have picked up somewhat. There are signs of recovery in the UK at the moment.

Gotta say, didn't think the wages were that low.......

Would have thought that there was a great need for infastructure - (in particulal,roads) in the north......oh well, may have to look for work in the ROC after all. A real shame, as if more people were able to work for a decent wage, it would surely boost the economy of TRNC?

As MM stated, TC's work over there. Does anybody have any information on this board, with regards to working in the south? (all aspects) Would love to hear from you.

Many thanks

Julia

Lilli

Message Posted:
30/08/2009 22:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

Dear Julia you will have to do a lot of homework. Yes Inftastructure needs a lot but they get the money and spend it elsewhere. As stated permits etc are a nightmare as are qualifications now. not the right one deported. its happening in front of us. At the moment its a total minefield. I dont know the situation in south but Im sure someone will. Good luck on what you decide but please look carefully xx

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
31/08/2009 15:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

There's any amount of illegal Sri Lankans, Syrians, etc, being exploited in the RoC construction industry, as well as numerous Georgians - unless your partner has some special skills, forget it!

gates

Message Posted:
31/08/2009 15:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

unfortunatly the south is in a worst state than the north at mo and to cross the bourder every day would be a night mare . unless you have funds to last 3/5 yrs i would not bother as in england you have the dole and other helping hands here you will need visas and show money in bank if you are a faimily of 4 you will need to show 7/8000 at least . please do your home work first it is important as intrest rates buy winter will be as low as 5/6% witch will also put more and more people on the edge

cronos

Message Posted:
31/08/2009 17:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

Gates makes a very good point about falling interest rates.

Too many Brits came over to NC to start a new life and tended to rely on the unrealistic 18 to 20 % interest rates that they could get on their savings,which became an integral part of their income.

Now that interest rates have plummeted in NC,just like in the rest of the world,life will get a lot harder for those expats who rely on this "income".

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
31/08/2009 17:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

Dear Tenakoutou

re msg 8

>>There's any amount of illegal Sri Lankans, Syrians, etc, being exploited in the RoC construction industry, as well as numerous Georgians<<

Hmm, and do you think - in a recession - many GC builders are risking HUGE fines and inprisonment when locals can't get work..

You might have been correct when work was plentiful ..

As for Georgians.. most of 'em have RoC or GR passports.. they are Pontians ( Black Sea Greeks) .. loads of 'em are unemployed, too.

Best bet for your partner and you is to rent and try ( if you can).

As for crossing daily.. it is a doddle, if you walk over and leave a car on the "rump" RoC ("south") side.

You can be self-employed and do not need a work permit - just to regist to get a NI number and register at immigration within three months.

juliachcc

Message Posted:
31/08/2009 18:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

Wow 1200ytl a month Gates! I get that + 3/4 again a WEEK in the UK!!

Why are the wages so low - the property (when selling) goes for a good price......?

Are the workforce ALL unskilled in this industry?

How difficult is it to obtain a permit if you are FULLY skilled? Surely, GOOD companies would be prepared to pay a multi-skilled operator, as opposed to unskilled? Guess I will have to look at these companies when the time comes. Obviousley, I would prefer to work in th North, as this is where I have invested, and chosen to live in the future -approx 2 yrs.

I am not ready to retire yet,and hope that I will secure work in my chosen field. A lot of things could change in 2 yrs!!

Any information with regards to HOW to apply for work permits, through to possibly my partner WORKING FOR HIMSELF (I guess he could always hire the machinery and sub-contract) - would be much appreciated.

If there is anybody out there that can help, but would prefer to email off board: henrymunroe@yaho

juliachcc

Message Posted:
31/08/2009 19:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

cont from mess 12

that is: yahoo.co.uk

Thanks for the input

Julia

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
31/08/2009 19:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

G'day, mmmmmm!

'Hmm, and do you think - in a recession - many GC builders are risking HUGE fines and inprisonment when locals can't get work.. '

Nepotism rules in RoC as much as TRNC - cheap labour; even though the poorer GC's, of no consequence, know, they can do nothing about it.

And what about all the maltreated, abused Sri Lankan housemaids that are virtual prisoners of the wealthier families - is this situation in compliance with EU regulations?

Granted, the numbers of 'foreign workers' may have dwindled, but a GC is a GC when it comes to paying out.

And how many Georgians can't speak a word of Greek, having bought 'Greek' passports for $75?

I lived there from before the time they started flooding into Paphos, now having formed ghettos that even the police daren't venture into.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
31/08/2009 20:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

Dear Tenakoutou

re msg 14

Perhaps you can tell some VERY rich Uzbekis I know how to buy a RoC passport for 75 USD.. They have been waiting for citizenship for five years.. ;)

Nepotism does rule OK in Cyprus, but the fact remains that when jobs are scarce the unions - can make life very HOT for a builder trying to employ illegals

"maltreated, abused Sri Lankan housemaids" .. well some may WELL be, but what has that to do with the thread ? The GREAT news is that the EU and the Ministry of Interior fund a charity which has taken the same govt dept ( MoI) to Court for HR abuses relating to immigration .. the""maltreated, abused Sri Lankan housemaids" are applying for permanent residency after five years - so the amount of visas and the length of service is being cut..

"but a GC is a GC when it comes to paying out." Tut,tut..generalising many financially troubled CY based builders, aren't we ?

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
31/08/2009 20:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

>>I lived there from before the time they started flooding into Paphos, now having formed ghettos that even the police daren't venture into.<< [ referring to Pontian Greeks]

Funny, I found them to be VERY hard workers - harder working than many locals. Sadly, as bit like some TCs and TR folk - there is some "resentment". Especially, amongst poorer folk...a LOT of misconceptions

When the Former Soviet Union broke up, these folk were welcomed and now... well let's just say a small minority shouldn't give a whole ethnic group a bad name, eh ?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.