North Cyprus Tourist Board - From the UK to TRNC on your own four wheels (2)
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > From the UK to TRNC on your own four wheels (2)

From the UK to TRNC on your own four wheels (2)

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
01/09/2009 10:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 12 in Discussion

Quite a lot of people requested a map "UK -> TRNC by car" and at the same time I received many questions from people in the UK who obviously are planning to drive to TRNC. It's a lot of work to answer everybody seperately.

There is information on this board (via the Search engine above), but maybe it's a good idea to use this thread for updated information and questions. I drove from Holland to TRNC, but that's five years ago - things may have changed here and there (border regulations etc).

OK, let the questions come in...

P.S. It would be nice if this thread - for a change - could be maintained with serious questions and answers.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
01/09/2009 11:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 12 in Discussion

Example from mail to me: (...) Hello Hans,

Thanks for your speedy reply, I was wondering if you had any problems on

your journey? I have been told that I could have a problem at the boarder

crossings with car insurance and that you need to bribe the customs to let

you through, I have also been advised to photocopy my paperwork for each

country that we pass through, and lastly I would like to know what currency

is best or do I need a different one for each country.

I'm sorry to put all this on to you, but I have been given so much negative

information I thought it best to contact someone that has done the journey

and find out the truth and get advice from them.

Yours truly, John S. (...)

=> Anyone know the current situation at any or all of the borders to cross?

SunloverK

Message Posted:
01/09/2009 11:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 12 in Discussion

Hi

That's a great idea to pull together updated info - and thanks for your previous threads about driving to TRNC, they've been really useful.

I'm going to be driving from UK to TRNC in the next couple of weeks - planned route is via France, Switzerland, Italy, ferry from Bari to Igoumenitsa, through Greece and then to Mersin in Turkey. I've read most of the posts on this subject but if anyone has any further tips (maybe about this particular route) then please feel free to share. In any case I'll share any relevant info/experience when I get back.

MiketheBike

Message Posted:
01/09/2009 20:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 12 in Discussion

We took a similar route last year but did not travel through Switzerland. We made a 'holiday' of the trip and travelled down to the south of France then into italy. Took the ferry from Brindisi into Greece, across the Northern greek mountains and headed for Thessaloniki, then across the border into Turkey. Visited Gallipoli then took the short ferry across the straits of Marmara and headed down the coast towards Izmir and most of the small resorts, took in Lake Bafra (fantastic) then through Antalya and on to Tasacu. No need to book the ferry from Bari unless you are desperate to make the trip in the shortest possible time. The ferry from tasacu to Girne is an experience, you are better off sleeping in your vehicle for the whole journey. You will need to buy your insurance at the Turkish border, make certain you have the original registration document and all the details match those in your passport, ie exact name and address. Take photcopies of all of your vehicle documents.

Brinsley

Message Posted:
01/09/2009 20:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 12 in Discussion

Driving into Switzerland and you'll have to pay their annual road tax even though you're only passing through for a matter of hours or so. No pro rata winding back the clocks there!

Richard

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
01/09/2009 20:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 12 in Discussion

RE msg 4, MiketheBike: (...) The ferry from tasacu to Girne is an experience, you are better off sleeping in your vehicle for the whole journey. (...)

=> Errrm "Experience": very, very true... But take care: cars and lorries are parked very near (the doors of) your car - sometimes you can't get out of your car. My ferry was delayed and I (and the dog) had to stay in the car for 7-8 hours. No water, no food. Nightmare. P.S. Buy food and drinks in Turkey, Tasucu, before you enter the ferry.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
01/09/2009 20:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 12 in Discussion

RE msg 2: (...) I have been told that I could have a problem at the boarder crossings with car insurance and that you need to bribe the customs to let you through, (...)

=> Again, I can only speak from a 5-year old experience (maybe other have found out different). I had no problems at any of the border crossings, although the more East I drove the less friendly border guards became. I have not met any corruption - they just checked all papers.

However. It is smart to drive in the day time and not at night. There are rumours that in the Balkan countries fake police may stop you when it's dark and then you have to pay a fine for some fake infringement.

Money: I used Euros in all the countries I had to cross. Buy some Turkish Liras when you enter Turkey.

Paperwork: Indeed, make photocopies. I had the originals on the backseat - with a big Dobermann Pinscher on top of the documentation...

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
01/09/2009 20:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 12 in Discussion

If possible: plan your trip thorougly i.e. make reservations in hotels/motels via email. Finding a room for one night along the Autobahn in Germany/Austria is not too difficult, but in the Balkan countries you often have to leave the motorway and search in some village or town. When you make a hotel/motel reservation via email, ask for directions and/or an emailed city plan. Pay cash - in some places they tried to overcharge my American Express Card.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
01/09/2009 21:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 12 in Discussion

From now on I'll only email you the password to open my (free) map "From the UK to TRNC on your own four wheels" when you add some information in this thread or ask a sensible question. Why? My intention is to make this a valuable thread for ALL who want the adventurous drive across Europe. Sending people separate info does not help others. Right? Right.

http://www.cyprusdownload.nl

click: | Cyprus Maps : details |

click: | Free download |

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
02/09/2009 12:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 12 in Discussion

Another thread of interest: http://www.cyprus44.com/forums/21315.asp

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
02/09/2009 22:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 12 in Discussion

Thread closed due to lack of interest/responses. Have a nice trip UK -> TRNC.

Yeah, I know next question on this board: Is there anyone who can tell me etc. ... Why did you email me with questions and why didn't you help to build a valuable thread here for all interested (British) people?! Well, whatever. Ask yourself if you belong to a disappointing British bunch.

carol050560

Message Posted:
19/04/2010 16:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 12 in Discussion

I am sorry this thread has closed it was exactly the information I needed. I am driving down to pick up two dogs,

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.