North Cyprus Tourist Board - car buying advice needed
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > car buying advice needed

car buying advice needed

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

mahdel

Message Posted:
01/09/2009 11:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Hi all. My wife and I are starting to look for a used car now that I'm starting my job at a uni and won't be working at home any longer. We are hoping to buy a compact SUV/4x4 type, like a Hyundai Tucson or a Honda CRV or something similar (I'd love to hear any recommendations as to which of the compact SUVs you think are best and why) .

I was wondering if anyone who had bought a car here could suggest some of the best used auto dealers around.

Also, how does the finance system work here? People have told us we'll need to put at least 1/3 of the cost up as a down payment before we can get a loan, so we'd need close to 5000 sterling and that'll take forever to save up. Is there anywhere, either banks or dealers, that would let us buy without a massive down payment or am I just going to have to wait a while? Thanks for any help you can give.

puppylover

Message Posted:
01/09/2009 13:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Bought our first ever car here from Tiga.

Highly recommend them......really friendly helpful people and their aftercare is superb.

http://www.tigatrading.com

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
01/09/2009 13:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Don't buy new. As in the UK you're just as likely to get a lemon in the TRNC as the UK. Then there is language difficulty trying to get it repaired. There is no shortage second hand vehicles.

Finance for yourselves is probably unlikely. There are to many factors against you if you are not Cypriot. Even then they need large deposits.

Although you're now working, by September 2010 you may not. Friends of mine thought they had "jobs for life" with Girne American University but after 3 years their contracts weren't renewed, and no real explanation given.

If you have a budget for a car then spend that. If you don't, then whatever you have is what you can afford to pay so suite your vehicle to your budget. Don't forget too about running costs. Honda CRV's Petrol barely do 27 miles to the gallon or 35 for the Diesel. Then the Insurance and Road Tax will be high too.

Cars don't have the same status in the TRNC as the UK. So you turning up in a 6 year old Mazda Demio won't harm your status.

TigaTrading

Message Posted:
01/09/2009 14:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Hi.

Thanks Puppylover, good to know we have happy customers!

To Mahdel,

We have just taken in part exchange a Suzuki Swift 2001 model, excellent condition, full electrics, Timothy Cadman is right, there is nothing wrong with buying an older car as long as it does the job you want it to do. This car would be very economical to run, low fuel consumption and low road tax. The price is 5500 Sterling

İf you are interested please ring me on 05338451638

Regards

Hugh

waddo

Message Posted:
01/09/2009 15:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

This link may give you some ideas as to costs for cars as well:

http://www.kktcarabam.com/

Not in English but you can work it out easily.

Good luck.

Camlidil

Message Posted:
01/09/2009 15:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

I bought our first vehicle from Tiga.

They were brilliant with helping us to sorting out the insurance issues as the vehicle had been previously registered as a commercial vehicle.

http://www.tigatrading.com

mahdel

Message Posted:
01/09/2009 15:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

thanks guys. I will definitely check out tiga's website right now. Has anyone had experience anywhere else?

I have no intention of buying new, never have before and doubt I ever will. However, we intend to live here a long while and we're planning on starting a family soon so we do want a little bit bigger car, hence searching for a compact SUV. I care very little about my social status, I just want something with enough room for kids and all the crap they need around them and something that will be very safe in a crash.

I've got a financial safety net, it's just not liquid and I'd kinda like to keep it that way instead of selling to pay cash for a car. I've already been told I can get financing from our bank as well, but the down payment they are asking for was higher than I've experienced elsewhere. If that's the case with all financing then I'll just keep saving, but if others have had different experiences I'd like to know about it.

joandjelly

Message Posted:
01/09/2009 18:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

With regards to running costs we renewed the tax on our Subaru Forrester yesterday and it was 865TL or thereabouts. The vehicle weighs 1330kg. We checked the weight online last night of a Hyundai Tucson and it is over 1500kg so may be even more expensive than ours.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
01/09/2009 20:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Go for an LWB Hummer and be damned with the expense!

steamerpoint

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 07:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Hi,i have brought in both my cars from the UK but i bought my fathers car from a local garage in Nicosia..the cars were in A1 condition (i know im a mechanic) gave a proper 2 year warranty,serviced,new mot and tax...to all the expat idiots who think if you recommend anyone your on a backhander if you need the name and any info let me know and i will happy to give you details...good luck

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.