North Cyprus Tourist Board - newsflash german ntv!!!!! newsflash!!!!! hot
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > newsflash german ntv!!!!! newsflash!!!!! hot

newsflash german ntv!!!!! newsflash!!!!! hot

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Follow North Cyprus News with Cyprus44 News

ROBIN HOOD

Message Posted:
02/09/2009 19:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 46 in Discussion

According to the ticker on NTV.de the Greek side have withdrawn from the peace talks. This was on the 5pm and 6pm Bulletins. I can find no more info on nthe subject. reuters and AP have nothing as yt nor doe the online versions of the times or Daily telegraph. Anyone got any info???

burty1987

Message Posted:
02/09/2009 19:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 46 in Discussion

I think this might be what you are talking about.

http://www.silive.com/newsflash/international/index.ssf?/base/international-13/1251902529279540.xml&storylist=international

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
02/09/2009 19:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 46 in Discussion

Its here.

http://www.etaiwannews.com/etn/news_content.php?id=1047461&lang=eng_news

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
02/09/2009 19:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 46 in Discussion

Greek Cypriots have called off a meeting scheduled as part of peace talks in the ethnically divided island over the alleged harassment of pilgrims in the Turkish Cypriot north.

President Dimitris Christofias, a Greek-Cypriot, was to meet Turkish Cypriot leader Mehmet Ali Talat Wednesday as part of the yearlong talks to reunite the Mediterranean island.

But senior presidential aide George Iacovou said the pilgrim dispute would have "cast a shadow" over the meeting.

Iacovou said Turkish Cypriot authorities carried out "inexcusably long" security checks on some 650 Greek Cypriot pilgrims trying to enter the north to hold an annual Orthodox church festival in the town of Morphou.

Cyprus was divided in 1974 when Turkey invaded after a coup by supporters of union with Greece.

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
02/09/2009 19:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 46 in Discussion

Perhaps President Dimitris Christofias was just looking for an excuse to 'pull out'

MUSIN M

Message Posted:
02/09/2009 19:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 46 in Discussion

according to turkish tv ,the meeting will now take place tomorrow ,thursday.

musin

long live the kktc

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
02/09/2009 19:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 46 in Discussion

Panic over!!!!! )

BillBarnacle

Message Posted:
02/09/2009 19:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 46 in Discussion

If only it were true that the GC had permanently walked away from the talks then the ridiculous charade that is taking place would end

This is just the GC stamping their little feet because the TC border police would not stand for any of their nonsense

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
02/09/2009 20:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 46 in Discussion

Dear BB

re msg 8

>>If only it were true that the GC had permanently walked away from the talks << you seem disappointed - have you an ulterior motive ?

>>This is just the GC stamping their little feet because the TC border police would not stand for any of their nonsense<<

Do you REALLY know what happened?

This is an annual event since 2003 - and it always seems to be a flashpoint

If TCs were coming over - annually - to a religious festival at a Mosque in the "rump" RoC and the "rump" RoC Immigration Police officers were taking an age to check folk through and rejecting accredited press. ... wouldn't YOU be the first to complain of heavy handed GC officials? !

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
02/09/2009 20:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 46 in Discussion

Bayrak are reporting the GCs as not WANTING to show their ID cards

As ever, Cyprus descends into a farce and who is telling the truth ?

Jetski

Message Posted:
02/09/2009 20:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 46 in Discussion

As ever, Cyprus descends into a farce and who is telling the truth ?

Yup M's...... who is REALLY telling the truth and who REALLY knows what they're talking about?

MUSIN M

Message Posted:
02/09/2009 20:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 46 in Discussion

i have been watching the brt bayrak news amongst other channels ,and no one has mentioned

about id cards.

i cannot see why the gc,s would not wish to show their id,s ,have they got something to hide.

musin

long live the kktc

Jetski

Message Posted:
02/09/2009 20:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 46 in Discussion

Musin wrote:

i cannot see why the gc,s would not wish to show their id,s ,have they got something to hide.

YES Musin....... their intentions.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
02/09/2009 20:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 46 in Discussion

Whatever " solution" Mr. Talat and Christoetc will talk about... Whatever "comments" on this board... Even the "eye openers" of my friend 6xm... Whatever... The referendum in the South AND in the North will be decisive. Don't despair, my British friends...

BillBarnacle

Message Posted:
02/09/2009 22:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 46 in Discussion

Dear 6 m s

No ulterior motive-but if I had a settlement would be better than the status quo

Just a realist.The GC do not want a solution anymore than the TC do really

Both sides are simply playing the game because the international community demand that they do

Re your final point the GC always find something to stamp their little feet over.If it was not this it would be

Illegal flights

Illegal ferry crossings

Holidays advertising the North

The list is endless

What they have failed to realise is that everyone is fed up with their bleating.They should get on with the negotiations with integrity or quit them

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
03/09/2009 03:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 46 in Discussion

Dear Musin re 12

Bayrak television (02.09.09) broadcast live at 11.10 hours a

correspondence from Yesilirmak area regarding the crossing of

the Greek Cypriot inhabitants of Pyrgos village area, who were expected

to go today to Guzelurt. through Yesilirmak area in order to attend

the service at Agios Mamas church.

The correspondent of Bayrak said that until that hour no bus had

crossed over into occupied Limnitis area. The journalist said that a

problem was created when the Greek Cypriots did not want to show their

identity cards.

She added: This morning around 06.00 hours, 645 persons, who had been

registered from before, were expected to cross over from Yesilirmak

gate. Around 07.30-08.00 two minibuses

with totally 40 persons came to the Yesilirmak gate and showed identity

card here. Of course we were not able to enter into the area because it

is a military zone and we tried to acquire information from official

sources. ..

cypwine

Message Posted:
03/09/2009 08:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 46 in Discussion

Pathetic isnt it!!!

Tcs have total freedom of moving around the island yet a group of Gc pilgrims are harrassed by mainland Turks!!! what double standerds hey!!! NOW does it prove to you all that its NOT the TCs that dont want a reunifed island its TURKEY that are blocking the way for a reunified island, and yes the talks are POSTPONED, probaly because they are waiting for Mr Downers response as to why the GCs were harrased as they had been assured there would be no problems crossing over.

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
03/09/2009 10:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 46 in Discussion

As I understand it, the GC's had presented, in advance, a list of pilgrims names applying for permission to cross over at a special ad-hoc crossing point at a specific time. In the event, many more GC's whose names were not on the list turned up (on spec?) and this caused the delay due to understandable, legitiimate refusals.

The question might be, why didn't the pilgrims cross at the regular points, Metehan etc., where all and any could have crossed without even applying for permission?

dobbo

Message Posted:
03/09/2009 10:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 46 in Discussion

Yes I think its pathetic that President Dimitris Christofias can be so childish as to cancel the peace talks over this incident, if there is ever going to be a settlement on the island he is going to have to be stonger and more mature then this.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
03/09/2009 12:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 46 in Discussion

Hi "TRNC"re msg 18

>>As I understand it<< .."dangerous" intro in CY terms ;) ..

The GC Pilgrims that had arranged to use this crossing point do so because it is so close to Guzelurt/Morphou.. it ISN'T officially opened as the TR side say it is a "military area"

"Apparently".. ( another dangerous" intro !) there was a disagreement about who was on/ entitled to be on the list.. the "authorities" disagreed that press members listed were Pilgrims ..?!

It is a HECK of a detour for these folk.. some v.old and no "threat" ..

Hard to know if this is the GCs "pulling a stunt" or TR/"TRNC" PR booboo....if their was a UN observer, we might learn more..

the GOOD thing is that the talks resume, today..and we are likely to hear( learn?) more.

BB re msg 15

"realists" would surely realise why there are these problems for TCs and be finding a way to be sure that the UN Security resolutions could be revoked..

YES, the old GC admin didn't WANT asettlement based on an Annan, believing

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
03/09/2009 13:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 46 in Discussion

Hi mmmmmm,

msg 20.

The use of Limnitis crossing is/was concessionary as it is not yet an official crossing point. To turn up with more/differnt people than those on the application lsit must be bound to invite problems. If there were people who didn't want to produce ID cards for political reasons then these people were no less than gate crashing the gig in order to see it fail to happen.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
03/09/2009 13:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 46 in Discussion

Hi "TRNC"

re msg 20

We are debating without facts.. We don't know if some GCs did turn up / fail to show ID.. MY understanding is some on the list were rejected, and lengthy checks delayed so much that the point of going was lost..

Geejay

Message Posted:
03/09/2009 13:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 46 in Discussion

dobbo....You're right. What chance do the unity talks have if the GC leaders play these kind of games. They're still trying to stop the Syrian Ferry and denying TC's the EC benefits which they voted for and were promised in 2004.

This border crossing is now a political football and the Greek Cypriots will make the most of it as usual. Even if it means no agreement in the talks. If they keep it up the UN will have to intervene if there is to be a solution in the short term.

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
03/09/2009 13:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 46 in Discussion

Hi mmmmm,

You are right in that we don't yet know the full story. However, many GC's did make it to the pilgrimage by travelling via the routine current crossing points. Whilst Limnitis remains a concessionary crossing point it must have been foolhardy of the organizers of the pilgrimage to allow anyone on the bus who could possibly delay/jeapordise free passage.

Refusing to show ID is a political statement and refusal of entry must be/is expected whilst making the point. Unfortunately, spoiling the day of genuine pilgrims by making the same point is clearly just self-serving opportunism.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
03/09/2009 17:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 46 in Discussion

Dear "TRNC"

re 24

You are simply repeating a story that can't be verified...

Please wait until there is an independently verified source..

Codger

Message Posted:
03/09/2009 18:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 46 in Discussion

All this huffing and puffing as to whether the GC's showed their ID's or refused to show them was answered on PIK radio the day before the pilgrimage took place.

The 6pm and the 8pm news stated that the leader of the pilgrimage had catogorically stated that they would NOT show their ID's to the illegal occupation border police. Further more if it was demanded that they be shown the pilgrimage would be cancelled and no crossing would be attempted.

PIK is the GC state broadcaster and reports in English between 6pm and 8pm every evening, it is a mixture of mostly music with a few short interviews.

Codger

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
03/09/2009 18:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 46 in Discussion

Hi mmmmmm!

'Please wait until there is an independently verified source..'

If there is such a source, such as UN observers present - which if not proves there should be - surely an independent report of the proceedings should have been publicised at the time.

Without this, both sides can continue to apportion blame on each other - hardly conducive to progress on the (almost scuppered) 'peace talks'!

Ste65

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 09:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 46 in Discussion

I can't see what the GC side are complaining about. This is a matter of border security and the GC failure to comply to basic security requirements ie. showing of ID cards. I find the TC border security is always firm but fair, I wouldnt really expect it any other way. The same goes for the GC border security, they are firm and mostly fair although ocassionally they seem over zealous with the searching of your car looking for cigarettes etc.

In a nutshell I would say that if you want to cross any country border and go through security make sure your documentation is in order otherwise your not going to get in. It's common sense this,these pilgrims should have made sure everything was in order beforehand.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 12:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 46 in Discussion

Dear STE65 re 28

You (nor I) don't *know* the facts.. and THIS ain't no normal "border".. this crossing point isn't even official yet..

BTW in this mornings "TRNC" papers lots of questions being asked about why the Pilgrims were hassled when folk going t'other way to a TR/ "TRNC" enclave weren't hassled.. !!

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 13:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 46 in Discussion

FYI from a TC paper:

AFRIKA: Agios Mamas bomb. The second round of the negotiations is blown

up. The paper writes that the Turkish Cypriot side did not allow Greek

Cypriots to pass through the Limnitis crossing point with lame excuses.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 14:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 46 in Discussion

Just to pour a little bit more oil on the fire,

'Accusations of the Greek Cypriot Mukhtar'

Kostas Mihailidis, Mukhtar of the lower Pirgo village, claimed that the Greek Cypriot Presidential Commissioner Yorgos Yakovu was the person responsible for the unregistered worshippers trying to cross into the North from the Yesilirmak crossing on the bus that was stopped. In a live phone call to a Greek Cypriot Radio, Mihailidis expressed his anger towards the Greek Cypriot authorities and said that it is the fault of the authorities that there were problems during the crossing to the North

Continued

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 14:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 46 in Discussion

Continued:

as the office of the Greek Cypriot Presidential Commissioner Yorgos Yakovu handed in a list of names that was not stamped and approved by the Lower Pirgo Mukhtar. Mihailidis said: "There were people that were not in the list of names handed to the UN Peace Force in the buses"

Courtesy of the Cyprus Observer.

Now that should be easy for you to check out Mark.

Or is that another one that you will try to wriggle out of?

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 19:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 46 in Discussion

Hi AJ re msg 32

Thanks for the "update".. even you will admit that if I make a faux pas I'll admit it..;)

It won't fit here, so I'll include a second TC newspaper asking WHY life was made difficult for some elderly GCs to visit a church, when it was OK for some TURKS to be allowed to visit the TR/ "TRNC" enclave..?

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 19:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 46 in Discussion

Havadis - Basaran Duzgun

The difficulties caused to the Greek Cypriots who wanted to attend the

service that would be carried out at Agios Mamas Church in Morfou using

the Yesilirmak Gate, were not a correct stance. In our view, when the difficulties which the leaders faced for

opening the Yesilirmak Gate are taken into consideration, the last

thing needed was experiencing a problem in such details and poisoning

the relations unnecessarily.

While the positive effects of the massive crossing carried out for the

memorial ceremonies of Erenkoy victims using the Pyrgos gate were continuing, no problems should have

been created for the Greek Cypriots who would pass from Yesilirmak for

the service. The public is expecting to hear this. [an explanation]

BTW.. can you tell me where I've EVER wriggled out of ANTHING.? ;) An example...

MUSIN M

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 20:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 46 in Discussion

mmmmm

do you sleep with your gc hat on,or have you superglued it to your head.

sorry mate ,but you really don,t get it............dear.

musin

long live the kktc

HildySmith

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 21:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 46 in Discussion

My Son is in the RAF in Akritiri and he regularly travels north. He took us up to the north for a couple of days and we had an excellent visit. We stayed in the Almond Village, ate at the Sonegrill and Jashans. We travelled around the area and visited Turtle Beach and Escape Beach. We had a wonderful couple of days and then we headed south.

When we got to the border we were asked if we had bought ANYTHING? we said NO.

Have you bought any CIGARETTES, we said NO, Have you bought any CLOTHES, we said no. (I thought the first answer covered the rest. They then told us to get out of the car. They searched the car and opened our luggage and searched that. The then searched us and our bags. Their attitude was very agressive, we just smiled and were totally compliant. (as my Son instructed us to be). There appeared to be very unhappy that they could not find anything and seemed very disappointed when they sent us on our way.

Brinsley

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 21:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 46 in Discussion

MUSIN M

Don't worry about it, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sits in his nouveau riche ex-council penthouse suite surveying the Worlds problems and makes judgements by plagiarising other peoples thoughts and research.

Richard

MUSIN M

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 21:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 46 in Discussion

katymackem

they do not want you to spend your money ,it may help us and they don,t want that ,but it,s ok

for us to spend it with them.

you stayed at the almonds ,i hope you enjoyed it ,ali and devrise the owners are in laws.

musin

long live the kktc.

MUSIN M

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 21:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 46 in Discussion

katymackem

they do not want you to spend your money ,it may help us and they don,t want that ,but it,s ok

for us to spend it with them.

you stayed at the almonds ,i hope you enjoyed it ,ali and devrise the owners are in laws.

musin

long live the kktc.

HildySmith

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 22:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 46 in Discussion

The Almond Village was excellent and very good value. Wonderful people and a pleasure to stay there.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 22:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 46 in Discussion

Mark

I think you are missing one important part of my posting and that was:

'There were people that were not in the list of names handed to the UN Peace Force in the buses'

What does that tell you? So it looks as though the 'UN Peace Force' may have played a part in this so called transgression by the TC 'border' police.

It appears to me that what happened was predictable and that the GC's tried to change an agreement that had already been accepted by all three parties.

Right or wrong?

Ste65

Message Posted:
05/09/2009 00:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 46 in Discussion

Those GCs don't like it up em do they mmmmmm

Ste65

Message Posted:
05/09/2009 00:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 46 in Discussion

Stay outta Dodge GCs

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
05/09/2009 23:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 46 in Discussion

Mark

My message 41.

No reply?

AJ

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
06/09/2009 10:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 46 in Discussion

Dear AJ

As I KEEP saying.. let's wait for an independent source.. but in the mean time I don't see you responding to the FACT that TC newspapers also joined in the criticism... ;)

newlad

Message Posted:
06/09/2009 22:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 46 of 46 in Discussion

This stand off happens every year dummies out the pram from both sides, time to move on.The talks resume next week,

Paul.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.