North Cyprus Tourist Board - Sad Times ( more dog poisoning )
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Sad Times ( more dog poisoning )

Sad Times ( more dog poisoning )

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Threads on Pets, Dogs, Cats, Animals and Kyrenia Animal Rescue (KAR)

» Read about Bringing Your Pet to North Cyprus

» KAR Official Website - www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

lesleyd

Message Posted:
03/09/2009 19:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 86 in Discussion

Sad sad times here - 4 Centre dogs (so far - others still out on walks) killed whilst out on walks with members of the public this morning. 1 other still very ill at vet. Poison had been laid around the paths/walk ways from the Centre. As you can imagine everyone is so distressed/shocked. Evil b'stds to do something like that - poor members of the public who were walking them as well. its awful.

These dogs can't even get out to kill sheep or goats so no reason at all to do this to these poor animals.

minertor

Message Posted:
03/09/2009 20:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 86 in Discussion

Is this on the 5 finger walk? Taken a few round that a couple of times. Why anyone can be so sick as to target dogs up there is beyond me. What harm can they do? If they all barked at once they'd not bother anyone.

Lilli

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 00:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 86 in Discussion

its making me so ill. I cant bear it anymore/ Evil people evil country here now How the hell can these bxxxxxcs get away with it and this fxxxxxk gov sit back WHILST BEING LOBBIED. A rescue center for gods sake. No one will now take in a stray and perhaps we should not. Vets will suffer throgh no fault of thiers. Let them go back to thier awful primitavie ways . I will never take another stray in feed I will. I now understand people who told me they left because of the animal situation. KAR has not got money to feed them but to find vets to treat them do they do it for free. Oh my god by blood pressure has gone up Dont take a stray dont get injections and see what happens

mickyron

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 00:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 86 in Discussion

Hi Lilli, please dont let the B******s that have done this get you in this state. If it wasnt for people like you who care what happens to the strays, where would the poor things end up. Just think of the suffering the poor little things would go through. I know how you feel, as I feel the same when we manage to get over there but if you get like this then the B******S have won.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 00:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 86 in Discussion

Dear Lilli;

As much as we have not met,I'd like to think that you are a very nice and caring person.I am also ever so sorry for the stress you are going through regarding mentioned dogs and your personal situation or whatever else for that matter.

But;If it wasnt for the fact that this "animal rescue centre's existance",this so called strays that mostly been left lose by Brits returning back to UK,

1-Most of this dogs would not have existed

2-Most of these dogs would have long been put to sleep

But,most importantly,having a dog as pet have never been popular by locals,as far as locals(I)are concerned "dog is a guard".If you or anyone else for that matter dont like this,

there is only one answer to that,"tough"

As someone that was born here and spent all those years in UK,

I learnt to respect your ways of looking at things,but seems to me that "you lot" cant!

I even learnt to keep my dogs(all 4)indoors because of my wife not being local,in Cyprus.

as for,"evil people/c

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 00:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 86 in Discussion

cont. msg5

as for "evil people/country"

Why on earth are you still here if its that bad for you?

or,are you on the same boat as most Brits?

Not wanting to go back to your own "evil country"to face your own "evil people"!!!

So,please stop being evil minded and try to understand it as it is.

Funny old world ,isnt it?

A VERY SELFISH ONE

Jeannie

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 01:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 86 in Discussion

We have been visiting TRNC for more years than I care to remember. If my memory serves me correctly, we were there when KAR first started. They have done a stirling job (in the face of some adversity, I think most would agree). We had a break for a few years and I fell into conversation in a restaurant with a lady and we talked about the stray cat population. I mentioned how the stray cat numbers had diminished and she told me that 'they' - sorry not sure who 'they' were, had carried out a massive culling of cats in TRNC. Well, it obviously worked wonders with the cats. HOWEVER, I'm afraid that nothing much seems to have changed with regard to the poor bloody dogs. I know KAR carry out a castration/speying policy, but it seems to me,sadly, that there are people whose attitudes to dogs (wanted or othewise) will never change. Dogs respond to kindness, and, unfortunately for us, a beautiful little dog came round to our apartments in June. He was the sort of dog you cont'd

Jeannie

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 01:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 86 in Discussion

would, if you wanted a little dog, certainly would have picked him out.

He obviously wasn't a stray. He was small (not typical), long haired, young, friendly and very affectionate. Unfortunately, not house-trained. He got loads of affection from the people in our apartments - we all loved him. We fed him, watered him and talked about getting him home (to UK). Came back one afternoon. Dog gone. Our Management company had 'found him a new home'. Nothing to do, then, with the Asian chap who 'cleans' our communal areas (I use the term 'clean' very loosely) who had to clear his poo up? I wouldn't mind, but this little dog was so loved, any of us would have done it. Plus, of course, the (actually lovely) TC couple who come every weekend, but he HATES dogs, would have (his words, not mine) killed it.

It's a sad situation for us Brits, but, at the end of the day, East is East and West is West and never the twain...................................

J

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 01:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 86 in Discussion

Dear Jeannie;

"east is east and west is west"

Do you mean,England is England and Cyprus is Cyprus?

Because ,you will find that dogs are not looked upon any differently in so called some of western countrys(Spain,Portugal,Greece...)

you also wrote

"He was the sort of dog you would if you wanted a little dog,certainly would have picked him out."

It saddens me to know that,"all prepared to invite" but "not prepared to welcome"

funny old world isnt it?

A VERY SELFISH ONE

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 09:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 86 in Discussion

Yorgozlu

Re message 5

Agree with you on a couple of points but disagree on a few others, namely:

1. The reason for the existence of the animal centre is not due to the amount of dogs dumped by 'Brits going home' but to cater for a stray dog population that the so called government refuses to get under control. It is worth reinforcing the fact that KAR do not receive a single TL in support from the government.

2. I agree and understand that locals have a different perspective on how a dog is looked after - all I would say is that if it is going to be chained up in the garden then the owner should at least have the decency to ensure that it is fed and watered regularly and is provided with shade. What I cannot agree with is the locals reluctance to have their animals neutered. Instead dogs are left to have litter after litter of puppies, many of which end up either being dumped at KAR or end up on the streets producing more unwanted dogs.

Regards

Paul

frontalman

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 09:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 86 in Discussion

Message 5/6, Yorgozlu

I don't really get what you are saying. What does the fact that locals see the purpose of dogs differently have to do with sickos poisoning dogs? Are you saying that it's OK, and that we are wrong because we give our dogs the respect that any living creature deserves? You kept your dogs indoors so I assume you love(d) your animals? I think this last bit of bad news is absolutely disgusting, to target a refuge centre is the sickest thing I've come across, I think. There's no way any cultural difference can be used to explain it away. Ignorant and sick, in my view.

Lilli

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 10:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 86 in Discussion

i have to agree with you fronalman xx

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 13:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 86 in Discussion

Paul

msg10;

I am fully aware and in agreement with your points.But that dont change nothing.

KAR's situation should be based on stray dogs that has been dumped by Brits.

For every other stray,if it wasnt for KAR that takes them on,they'd have been put to sleep long ago.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 13:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 86 in Discussion

frontalman,

msg11;

Read the end of my msg again please,it says;

"funny old world,isnt it?"

"A VERY SELFISH ONE"

I rest my case.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 13:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 86 in Discussion

by the way people;

I have 2 dogs and 2 puppies ay my home.3 are rescue dogs,1 I paid money just to get him away from where he was.

So,I would urge you to think before you open your gobs!!!

dizzycows

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 15:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 86 in Discussion

Yorgozlu, what you say regarding the brits with the dogs does have a lot of truth in it, as even on this forum you see most weeks a brit going home and wanting someone to take in their dogs. It is not just one dog but perhaps 2 or three! a lot to home. Perhaps if the brits were to take on the responsibility of having their own pets put down, they wouldnt be so quick to have so many. But that still does not solve the problem that has been created now.

What sort of fund raising can be done to help, perhaps funds could be raised in gb, I dont know, it is just a thought.

Many of you that live in NC perhaps have an idea as to how others could help, other than just the few that help at Kar,..

There is nothing more distressing than seeing an animal what ever species left to defend for its self after humans have lived its life for it. ie, fed, housed , watered and loved.

chick

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 17:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 86 in Discussion

Yorgozlu Msg 5.

I do not want to get into an argument with you, because by your past posts you seem to be a caring and help full person.

But when I first came to NC some 25yrs ago I would say stray dogs outnumbered humans, so you cannot say it was the Brits leaving them behind when they went home because at this time NC hadnt been invaded by the Brits (tongue in cheek). Yes in some cases in recent years that may be so.

Yes there are to many strays but untill KAR came along there were even more, now is nothing in comparison

to what it was.

I think the whole point of this thread was what could be done about the poisoning which is inhumane.

dizzycows

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 18:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 86 in Discussion

msg 17, Chick, it is good that you can give some high light on the situation some years back, perhaps things have improved and the brits can still help to improve the dog situation. What is needed in your eyes to progress please, as any info to help must be taken into consideration.

Do the walkers need funds for muzzles at Kar? would this help if a project was for raising cash for just this? Or is it against Kar policy, I do not know what the answer is.

This poisoning is so horrible, we read it every day, it must be horrible for the walkers as well who have taken the time to help and then find that their good deed has backfired on them. Enough to put them off walking, and helping at kar,......

jfoggy

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 19:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 86 in Discussion

Dizzycows, I don't know what the answer is, but there must be something to stop this happening. What sad and cruel being/s we have amongst us who killed these dogs in such a terrible way. Around a rescue centre of all places. Sick and cruel. Volunteer watchers, as well as walkers perhaps needed hoping that someone is caught putting the poisoned food down. Then maybe see if they would like to try a bit! Or is that going too far....

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 19:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 86 in Discussion

Yorgozlu

I am in no way criticising you as an individual or TC's in general. However, to suggest that KAR should just be utilised to cater for dogs that the 'Brits' leave behind is misguided. You seem to think that all the other stray/feral dogs will be taken care of by someone else (the government ??) - I am sorry my friend but the chances of this happening I suggest is slim to non-existent.

In the end, regardless of who is responsible for what, the poisoning of innocent animals is a reprehensible act - I am sure we must agree on that point.

Regards

Paul

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 20:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 86 in Discussion

Paul,

msg20;

My own "selfish way" of dealing with this problem;would be to put them sleep.And the only reason for my "selfish beleif" is that,we can put the poor animals out of their misery from us "very selfish creatures"on this planet.

When one's asleep,one can no longer "suffer"!

It is my care for all "creatures" on planet that makes me how and who I am,except us humans.

Unfortunately us so called human beings have brain.How we use it,is another matter.

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 20:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 86 in Discussion

Yorgozlu

I understand entirely.

Regards

Paul

HildySmith

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 21:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 86 in Discussion

I am a responsible dog owner - my ethnicity is irrelevent. If a person causes the birth, abandonment, destruction of a living being (dog, cat whatever) then they are worthless bullies and cowards and the scum of the earth. With regards to funding KAR. I sponsor a dog with Dogs Trust in the UK. He is an English Springer Spaniel called Podge. He is quite old now, but cannot relate to people due to is temperament which has been caused by people who have owned him. I get regular updates and photographs on his care/health and progress. During the heat earlier this summer he got a paddling pool to cool down in. I pay £1 a mouth to his care. I visited my Chemist and saw Podge's picture in their so they too sponser Podge. I send my mobile phones and ink cartridges etc to them using the envelopes they provide, I sell raffle tickets, buy from their xmas catalogu all of this funds Dogs Trust who never put a healthy dog down. I would support KAR in the same way if possible.

HildySmith

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 22:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 86 in Discussion

Sorry, that should read £1 per week not £1 a mouth (month) for his care. I also sponsor the NSPCC. Cruelty to any animal/small child who cannot protect themselves is only done buy SCUM.

It has been proven that there is a link between people who are cruel to animals and cruelty to Children. People who have been proved to have been cruel to children have often been accused/prosecuted for cruelty to animals.

They are the SCUM of the earth - wherever they come from. There is no justification for it.

All things bright an beautiful all creatures great and small,

all things wise and wonderful the Lord God made them all.

natalie

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 22:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 86 in Discussion

Katmackem, you have summed up this topic beautifully

dizzycows

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 22:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 86 in Discussion

Katmackem, thats a very good idea about sponser of a dog, perhaps kar could do with this help, so if any one on this forum has links with kar, perhaps something like that could be set up....

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 23:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 86 in Discussion

Dizzy/All

There are a number of ways that you can assist with supporting the animals at KAR. Please see the attached link. If it doesn't work, just Google Kyrenia Animal Rescue and go to the homepage from there.

http://www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org/help.html

Regards

Paul

dizzycows

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 23:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 86 in Discussion

Thanks fiendishpaul, will have a look to see what suits me as plenty of options to choose, lol

Lilli

Message Posted:
04/09/2009 23:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 86 in Discussion

Hiya Katymackem what a lovely thing to say and put so well. Dizzy we tried to start a fostering scheme with little or no support . This was done in the hope to take the burden off KAR/ I did foster 3 kittens and homed 2. Its awful what we see and hear on a daily basis and Yorgozlu in no way am I knocking your fellow TCs only the evil people who do it. we do all try here to help but sometimes its so very hard. At present I have 4 dogs at home one cat and 4 dogs I feed regulary and my beautiful kitten at the rear of the restaurant in his 5 homes xxx

lesleyd

Message Posted:
05/09/2009 03:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 86 in Discussion

yorgozlu

Do please be quiet the animal rescue does and will exist so instead of trying to cause more trouble leave this thread to the people that care whats going on as you talking through your backside.

lesleyd

Message Posted:
05/09/2009 04:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 86 in Discussion

Also just like to say to all that..... Dog walking at Kar has been stopped for the time being hopefully this scum will be found and punished as these dogs cannot and do not harm anyone's sheep cattle or goats I just fine it spinless and cowardly to do something like this.

Happy Hussar

Message Posted:
05/09/2009 08:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 86 in Discussion

So who are the suspects?

The owners of the Kebab restaurent on the road above. Sound carries upwards and many dogs barking and howling all night would be reason enough. We live uphill from one German Shepherd that spends all his life in a cage and he howls all night!

Hunters, the hunting season is nigh and this is a good way of keeping the area free for them.

The local goatherd.

Someone with a grudge against KAR. This just chips away at the resolve of the highly motivated volunteers.

Who do I suspect? ALL of the above!!

HH

fire starter

Message Posted:
05/09/2009 11:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 86 in Discussion

how can a dog barking be reason enought to poison the dog?

if a dog is barking why not speak with the owner to establish the problem.?

dogs don't usually bark for no reason.

this year we have had two customers who have gone back to the uk, both have two dogs each and have taken them with them. not all brit's dump a dog when they leave.

instead of complaining about stray dogs, kar or dogs barking, do something constructive.

give a stray a meal. do some dog walking for kar.( when possible again)

if a neighbours dog is a problem talk to them, see if you can help. we often give an elderly neighbour dog food as he can't afford much and this solves the problem of his dogs eating from the wheelie bins in the village.

we have to remember that in the uk we have had years of experience of owning dogs , training them and caring for them.

the trnc is way behind us in experience, offer help and advice, that way things will slowly improve.

blaming each other is not the way forward!

dizzycows

Message Posted:
05/09/2009 13:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 86 in Discussion

Dont think anyone is blaming any one in particular, its just who some think it could be. We all should remember that the NC is mostly Muslim and their way of thinking about animals is totally different than ours. It is not just that they hate animals, or dogs expecially, its because dogs are seen as an unclean animal and to try and educate this to people who see dogs in their religion as unclean would be against their book!.

But having said that it is very hard for us as Christians who love animals, to even contemplate killing dogs in such an appalling way.

Would muzzels stop this poisoning? if it is something that would help the walkers, perhaps as I have said in another post, a donation of muzzels can be arranged, but if this is a no go, some of you would know.....

girne 29

Message Posted:
05/09/2009 15:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 86 in Discussion

yorgozlu.

You appear to be saying that cruelty to dogs is a cultural thing in NC and shouldnt be objected to by anyone not born into that culture . You do the people of NC a disservice .I dont like cats ,but that should never excuse me setting them on light. People of whatever culture would consider what happened as cruel. I see many well treated dogs being walked by TC's.

Cruelty not a cultural thing ,its a mental aberration, Reasons people of any culture are deliberately cruel to animals are because they get away with it ,they like it,and the animal cant retaliate.That is why ,as the RSPCA & NSPCC confirm ,most child abusers also had abused animals .

From USA

48% of rapists committed acts of animal cruelty as children or adolescents.

30% of child molesters committed acts of animal cruelty as children or adolescents

80% of homes that animal control agencies found abused/neglected pets there had been previous investigations by child welfare agencies of physical abuse .

girne 29

Message Posted:
05/09/2009 15:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 86 in Discussion

message 35 cont

You also intimate that if lesleyd objects to what she has seen then shouldnt live here.

That argument is old hat ,and has been used in the past ,usually by people defending the building industry or estate agents etc.

Similarily to what was said about the Catholic Church,

If any country , organisation can only answer criticism by saying one shouldnt make that criticism then it is built on shaky foundations

lesleyd

Message Posted:
05/09/2009 16:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 86 in Discussion

I really don't think that anyone should speculate on who's is at fault for doing this barbaric deed.

Because until proved guilty you can't just put the blame on anyone all that I will say is that if anyone has seen anyone behaving suspiciously then please do get in touch with Kar.

I also think that it maybe a good idea to have someone on night watch for a while but that's just one of my idea's as I don't work at Kar. but I do totally support them in what they are doing.

everon

Message Posted:
05/09/2009 17:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 86 in Discussion

I am so so sad, I've just found out that the beautiul Opium, who I walked and bought his xmas dinner, is one of the dogs who has died, he was trusting and loving, I gave him treats and lots of cuddles, RIP Opium xx

Brinsley

Message Posted:
05/09/2009 17:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 86 in Discussion

Lilli

Explain to the others where Ian lives, two of his neighbours dogs went down this morning with poisoning.

Richard

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
05/09/2009 17:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 86 in Discussion

girne29,

msg35;

In UK a stray dog gets put to sleep after "7" days,if no one claimed it back.

BUT,yuo'll find that ,there is no critisism in my comments,(ie.funny old world isnt it?A VERY SELFISH ONE!)

Now,take it how you like,or bring up as many examplesas you like.

Neither would change the "fact" that,because of "selfish" and "self centred"human beings that we are

1-The cruelty will continue to this animals because selfishly we wont put them to "sleep"

2-The cruelty will continue to this animals because selfishly we wont stop poisining them

Either way,WHO IS SUFFERING???

and thats all regardless what part of world we live!!!

NOW, IS THAT SELFISH OR WHAT???

dizzycows

Message Posted:
05/09/2009 17:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 86 in Discussion

Brinsley, what is this sort of poison that is being used that the dogs are picking up? Being in GB and reading that dogs every where are eating the stuff, is it just around Gern or is it all over the North? And what is making it so palatable for the dogs to want to eat.? Never come across poisoning of dogs, just vermin.

How are you any way Brins as havent seen you posting for a while. I think you said you were banned, but hey, welcome back lol

lesleyd

Message Posted:
05/09/2009 18:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 86 in Discussion

The poison has been put into the animals drinking water and they also put it into meat so the dogs will pick it up.

everon

Sorry to hear that it was one of that you sponsor but each time that I have walked any of the dogs from Kar all have been really loving it is such a shame I really do hope that they find these evil people.

daisy dukes

Message Posted:
05/09/2009 18:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 86 in Discussion

The usual is Lanate, and is put into a type of spam...(horrible meat stuff in a tin)...although i have seen it in chicken fillets along the edges of a beach in Karsiyaka!

DD

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
05/09/2009 19:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 86 in Discussion

I think it is certain to be either 'Lanate' - (this is laid extensively in RoC, and readily available), or 'Wharferine', normally used to kill rodents.

But these poisons have been responsible for killing not only dogs and cats, but every type of feral creature - animals and birds.

The 'brave hunters' wonder why they've nothing left to hunt, so, for amusement, some of them *shoot their own dogs - usually those types who tie the poor creature up on a short leash, with no shade, water and a crust of stale bread if they remember. Then they *punish them for not performing.

Why are Quail, Thrushes, falcons and the 'Griffon' vulture, and goodness knows how many other forms of wildlife are now all but extinct in the wild in Cyprus?

What about the poor little foxes and hedgehogs - isn't survival for them difficult enough as it is?

Some locals blame it on 'drought' - rational people know full well that extensive and indiscriminate poisoning is the indisputable reason.

girne 29

Message Posted:
05/09/2009 19:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 86 in Discussion

Tenakoutou.

When we see how mankind behaves towards itself,other creatures,and planet earth as a whole,we should be scared.

Nature might decide that for the greater good its time for us to go. Suppose we could call it evolution.

dizzycows

Message Posted:
05/09/2009 21:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 46 of 86 in Discussion

Having not come across this poison have looked it up on google it is an organophosphate pesticide an this pesticide I do know is banned in most EU countries. It does say that the only way to stop this poison from being eaten that all responsible people should put muzzles on. So perhaps this is the answer until these persons are found...... But it does seem that the South is also affected with poison, it is something that will be very hard to stop..... or monitor.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
05/09/2009 22:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 47 of 86 in Discussion

Even if 'Lanate', was to be banned in TRNC, it can still be readily purchased in RoC.

Indeed, if an EU directive to ban this ghastly poison exists, or that the EU plan to issue one, it is likely to be totally ignored, as has been the case with other banned agricultural chemicals.

You are dealing with unscrupulous people, so enforcement of such a ban is almost impossible, as with any banned substance.

It can also be purchased, cheaply, from (RoC) agricultural chemical roadside shops in liquid form as 'Lancyp' - equally as lethal because it is a 'systemic' pesticide, and you can bet it's used for spraying all sorts of fruit and veg in Cyprus - shudder!

It is used, extensively, to spray on apricot trees to prevent worms in the fruit!

The other 'nasty', widely used, is 'Parathion' - Google that, folks, if you dare!

fire starter

Message Posted:
05/09/2009 22:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 48 of 86 in Discussion

tena,

not all those who go hunting treat their dogs badly.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
05/09/2009 23:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 49 of 86 in Discussion

Fire starter - did I say 'all', or suggest so?

But you obviously admit it happens - I wonder if you know, or care, how much?

Maltreatment of animals is indefensible - I trust you agree!

Brinsley

Message Posted:
05/09/2009 23:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 50 of 86 in Discussion

I wish these professional poisoners of 'four legged friends' could be found and retrained, redirected in their misconceived conception that the real enemy are the two legged ones dressed in black gowns appearing in angels wings floating above colonial buildings, money bags in tow, where justice was once served. Their skills are indispensable eradicating the real threat and leaving the hounds to feed off the skeletons happily abound, having disposed of all the poison onto those that really deserve to die from it!

Richard

HildySmith

Message Posted:
06/09/2009 00:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 51 of 86 in Discussion

Cruelty to animals has nothing to do with being muslim or christian as suggested. It is about bullies and scum abusing defenceless animals who cannot fight back. I currently live in the North East of England and we have very few ethnic minorities here (too much unemployment). The village I live in does not have one coloured person and no muslims. However, a recent RSPCA report named this part of the country as the worst in Britain for animal cruelty. I don't understand why - but facts are facts. In the village of Trimdon where Tony Blair has had his constituency home there was a recent case of many dogs and horses found dead and starving on a barn - these are not muslims - they are evil, sadistic, bullies and scum. They do not have a religion or a decent bone in their bodies.

Brinsley

Message Posted:
06/09/2009 00:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 52 of 86 in Discussion

Katymackem Msg 51

Quite right too, they're all Barristers/Solicitors/Advocates! Summed it up beautifully!

Richard

Lilli

Message Posted:
06/09/2009 01:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 53 of 86 in Discussion

you know i beleive you who treat animals badly treat humans in the same way. We live in a country who does both sadly. How this government with all the talks and edcation KAR has tried to give can condone tis is beyond us

frontalman

Message Posted:
06/09/2009 09:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 54 of 86 in Discussion

Yorgozlu,

I am as disappointed as you in anyone that takes on an animal as a pet, then abandons it to be cared for by whoever. However, I'm sure that those who do this do not all do it without a heavy heart. Not everyone has the same luck as us out here, and I'm reluctant to leap in judgement without knowing the full circumstances in any case. These animals have been shown a certain kindness for some of their lives at least. I still don't get the connection with the indiscriminate poisoning, though. If anyone else has sussed out the point you are making I would be grateful for enlightenment.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
06/09/2009 10:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 55 of 86 in Discussion

frontalman: 'Indiscriminate poisoning' is simply the random laying of poisoned bait which, even if the perpetrator aimed to kill specifically, nevertheless is unselective as to the wide variety of domestic and wildlife deaths that it claims.

They say that a criminal returns to the scene of the crime - this makes me wonder whether these poisoners do the same, in order to survey their 'success rate'.

Unfortunately, in remote areas, vigilence is difficult, if not impossible, and none of these devils are ever caught 'red-handed' - more's the pity.

HildySmith

Message Posted:
07/09/2009 14:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 56 of 86 in Discussion

The RSPCA has been advertising for extra funds here as there has been lots of programs regarding the increasing cases of abandoning of animals here. It is thought that the recession has had a lot to do with it. But there has been some severe cases of cruelty on TV here - It appears that on this forum some prefer to apportion blame to a particular sector. This has nothing to do with TC's, Brits, GC's, christians, muslims, jews etc etc etc

It is the act of cruel sadistic human beings who have no respect or thought for life. No doubt they use these evil skills on human beings too.

Someone suggested goatherders - surely this would kill goats as well as dogs, as Frontalman said the poisoning is 'indiscriminate' you cannot guarantee that only dogs will eat it. All wildlife will eat it, including goats.

fire starter

Message Posted:
07/09/2009 16:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 57 of 86 in Discussion

tena,

most people in my village have dogs and go hunting, so i clearly do know and care.

last year a close friend of ours had lambs killed on his land by local hunting dogs which had not been fed and must have been starving. thats why we give food to the village dogs to stop this happening and to stop them eating from overturned wheelie bins.

we have now had two incidents of poisoning in four years in our village, both times certian dogs were targeted, sadly some cats and another dog suffered and died.both times the targeted areas were problem dogs who roamed the village, chased cars , upturn wheelie bins and bark at children. the owners complain about what happened but failed to address that they were to blame for letting their dogs behave in such a way. this doesn't in anyway excuse poisoning, but i can see why it happens.

the only way to stop poisoning is ban poison.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
07/09/2009 17:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 58 of 86 in Discussion

frontalman,

msg54;

In UK a lost dog gets put to sleep after 7 days.

Same system here would solve all the problems regarding these animals.

But the biggest point it would prove:

It would show that as human race we care for this animals to put them to sleep and not fight to keep or poison them for our own selfish reasons.

I hope you can now understand where I'm coming from.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
07/09/2009 17:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 59 of 86 in Discussion

RE msg 58, yorgozlu: (...) In UK a lost dog gets put to sleep after 7 days. (...)

=> Excellent system - although I'm sorry I have to say it. But Northern Cyprus is not the UK nor Utopia and I would be glad if the government started to forbid poison (and IMPLEMENT such a law). And if the government would follow-up with registering ALL dogs (and taking tax for number one, more for number two etc) and just catch and put to sleep or shoot ALL non-registered dogs - ahhh! Dream on! This would make Northern Cyprus a better place for dogs and responsible dog owners.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
07/09/2009 17:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 60 of 86 in Discussion

Dear Hans;

Catch and put to sleep or shootALL non-registered dogs!?

Is exactly how it was dealt with before so called non-do-godders started interfering with the system with their idea of,"I know better,I am from west/europe..."

Though,I do relate this im my opinion that,it is out of boredoom.Most foreighners in Cyprus dont have nothing to do(inc.myself...I have 4,3 of them are strays)

lesleyd

Message Posted:
09/09/2009 02:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 61 of 86 in Discussion

yorgozlu

I really wouldn't call any one these people do gooders at all all they are is people with a heart that hate to see suffering in both human or animal form and the way that a dog is put to sleep in the trnc is nothing like the way that they are put down in the UK its is the most horrible death that they could suffer. But unlike some the people that are trying their best to help these poor animals know that they to are capable of feeling pain and anxiety but to some people its a case of well its only a dog in the long run I would say that most of these dogs would probably give you more love than any human being could.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
09/09/2009 08:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 62 of 86 in Discussion

lesleyd,

remsg61;

so stop being so selfish and put them poor and beautiful animals out of their misery.

dogs do give me more "love" than one can imagine.More than humans,thats for sure.(my ones at home)

then again,I never got them to try to flog them on someone else.

in the meantime,you carry on playing,"pass the bug".

lesleyd

Message Posted:
10/09/2009 02:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 63 of 86 in Discussion

I have never played pass the bug as you call it if you care to read the news site on the Kar rescue you will see for yourself that there are many story's of happy endings for these dogs and cats and still lots more to put on the web site so its not all doom and gloom and while there is a chance that some may get another loving home why the hell should they be put tp sleep.

I have two dogs and a cat of my own all from animal rescue homes and as far as my animals are concerned they are well looked after and also I always clean up after them unlike a lot of people. No matter what you say there are always be people out there that will try their best to save and look after these poor animals as they all have a heart not a swinging brick.

If any animal is so sick that it can't be made well again then I am all for putting it out of its suffering but in a humane way no lingering death no suffering while being put to sleep.

So if you think that is passing the bug you must be mad.

cyprusairsoft

Message Posted:
15/09/2009 19:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 64 of 86 in Discussion

campaign for muzzles your dogs will be safe

getting 3/ 2 for my dogs and one for the wife

yorg dont agree with you post on brits letting dogs loose most animal lovers try and find a home first

round up the strays and put to sleep thats the way to control

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
15/09/2009 20:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 65 of 86 in Discussion

msg 64;

What do you mean,"most animal lovers try and find a home first"?

AND IF THEY DONT....!!

donaghadee3

Message Posted:
15/09/2009 21:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 66 of 86 in Discussion

I very rarely post on this board unless it is helpful - but am really gob smacked by what I have just seen from so called "cyprusairsoft" - I am degusted- does anyone else agree with me - it just is not the message but the profile - I am so angry

lesleyd

Message Posted:
22/09/2009 18:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 67 of 86 in Discussion

Some Rescus home's do not in the UK put any animal to sleep if it is in good health secondly the way that animals are put to sleep in the UK is NOT anything like the way that they are put to sleep in North Cyprus that is fact.

And like I say if any of the animals get a chance of a good loving home why the hell should they be to sleep?

Quarmby

Message Posted:
22/09/2009 20:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 68 of 86 in Discussion

lesleyd

please could you explain the different methods used in UK and TRNC to put animals to sleep?

daisy dukes

Message Posted:
22/09/2009 21:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 69 of 86 in Discussion

Lesleyd, i am also interested in this...what does the TRNC do differently to the UK...(apart from the obvious poisoning...) curious.....

DD

frontalman

Message Posted:
23/09/2009 09:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 70 of 86 in Discussion

We had an old dog here a couple of years ago that contracted a terminal illness and was suffering. Firdez put him to sleep with us holding him. He did not suffer, first injection knocked him out, second stopped his heart. He is buried under a white bourganvlilla in our front garden. I am crying while I write this!

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
23/09/2009 09:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 71 of 86 in Discussion

RE msg 70, frontalman: A moving short story which many dog owners will recognise.

Lilli

Message Posted:
23/09/2009 09:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 72 of 86 in Discussion

Its all so sad and no solution will come. These animals need all the love and care they can get. My example of the bag of bones who turned up is now a very happy chap. Filled out nicely and runs like the clappers, when he couldnt even stand up last week.He is a lovely placid animal now. Just wish I could find him a loving home xxxTo date this year I have looked after and found homes for 14 dogs and 7 cats. We dont give doggybags at the restaurant we give you a dog xx

Quarmby

Message Posted:
25/09/2009 18:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 73 of 86 in Discussion

Lesleyd

Still waiting for your FACTS in your msg 67.

daisy dukes

Message Posted:
25/09/2009 19:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 74 of 86 in Discussion

Quarmby......me too!!

DD

Carbotec

Message Posted:
26/09/2009 13:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 75 of 86 in Discussion

Although I admire the work that KAR do, if this rescue centre was never started, the government would have had to step in and cull all the stray dogs, and if I honest this is the best thing all round. Dont get me wrong I am a dog owner with two dogs and I love them to bits, but KAR cant cope so do the humane thing and cull the animals.

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
30/09/2009 08:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 76 of 86 in Discussion

KAR can cope, they choose not to....this is a very small island and the dog problem could be solved easily by euthanasia and please do not say it is against policy because that is rubbish, KAR enjoy the fruits of the brits for the dogs and cats here.

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
30/09/2009 08:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 77 of 86 in Discussion

Lesleyd I too would like to hear your answer to Quarmby's question !!!!! you seem to have gone very quiet!

frontalman

Message Posted:
30/09/2009 12:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 78 of 86 in Discussion

In Lesleyd's defence, I did hear a rumour some time ago that some vets only administer the final injection without knocking the dog out first to save money. This would result in a very painful distressing death, I hope it's not true. If you need to have your pet put down, stay with it to be on the safe side.

dizzycows

Message Posted:
30/09/2009 12:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 79 of 86 in Discussion

Perhaps lesleyd is saying that the method used in GB is administered by experienced vets and the dogs to be put down over here are done a different way, I do know that if an inexperienced person does the job it can take ages to get the needle in and the right dosage! A few years back we had an inexperienced young vet to do the horrible job to one of our wonderful working collies, she took several attepts to put our dear 'jodie' to sleep, to which I said at the time never ever again would I have a dog put to sleep by a young vet.

Pehaps this is what Lesleyd means. Nothing more, nothing less,

Quarmby

Message Posted:
30/09/2009 18:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 80 of 86 in Discussion

Nice try dizzycows, but it would be nice if Lesleyd could have the decency to answer the question, he or she did make a profound statement initially.

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
30/09/2009 19:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 81 of 86 in Discussion

Dee

As always, accusation, accusation, accusation without any evidence. If you believe that euthenasia is the answer and you know of vets that will euthanise healthy animals then stump up with the details. Better still, rather than moan about KAR, why not organise something yourself ?

I must say I get fed up with people continually slagging off an organisation that is at least trying to make a difference.

Paul

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
01/10/2009 10:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 82 of 86 in Discussion

Paul, sorry but I just can't be bothered to answer you.

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
01/10/2009 14:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 83 of 86 in Discussion

Dee

Not looking to start an argument here as I have been round this bouy time and again. But, just as in message 77 where you lambast Leslie for not providing an answer, it would be nice if you could do the same and provide the names of vets who would be willing to euthanise healthy animals. or is this a case of pot/kettle ??

Regards

Paul

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
03/10/2009 14:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 84 of 86 in Discussion

Paul why would I furnish someone with the names that I was told...why don't you ask around yourself, their are plenty of ppl out there who know this same information.

I don't understand the pot/kettle remark.

KAR are not trying to make a difference you silly man..why would they..it isnt rocket science you know!

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
03/10/2009 15:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 85 of 86 in Discussion

That would be the pot calling the kettle black you 'silly woman'. As in - your post at message 77 appears to demand an answer from Lesleyd whilst you seem less than willing to answer questions put to you.

Anyway, I think that any further discussion would be pointless as you appear totally entrenched in your opinion of KAR. Lets leave it at that.

Regards

Paul

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
03/10/2009 15:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 86 of 86 in Discussion

Just about everyone on here knows my position with KAR and euthanasia..slighly different to what Lesleyd is saying......END OF1

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.