North Cyprus Tourist Board - TRNC ,Israel and international hypocrisy
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > TRNC ,Israel and international hypocrisy

TRNC ,Israel and international hypocrisy

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

girne 29

Message Posted:
07/09/2009 20:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 22 in Discussion

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the hypocrisy of the EU UN and USA .

israel has just announced a further 450 more illegal settlement houses to be built on the West Bank(Palestine)

The settlements have been declared illegal under international law.Now where have we heard that before ?

Since the settlements were declared illegal , 500,000 people have illegally moved there.

'Settlers' they are called ,now there's a word that crops up more than once on the in EU parliament and ECHR

I dont know the status of their PTP or Title Deeds,but I dont suppose it matters to the Palestinians if its a settler or the Israeli Govt that owns the land.

You will still be able to fly direct to Tel Aviv.You will still be able to buy Israeli fruit in the supermarket in EU,and Tour Operators will be allowed to advertise holidays there.

Contrast that with the treatment of North Cyprus and Turkey

Now isnt it a pity that Palestine is not in the EU. Moshe Orams VS Yasser Apostilides?

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
07/09/2009 20:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 22 in Discussion

Whatever happens, wherever; whether downright hypocritical, or simply evil, it is all euphemistically dismissed as political expedience by the powers that be.

A baron (Danish) once told me: 'The kings and the barons drink the wine; the peasants do the work and the fighting!'

Nothing changes!

girne 29

Message Posted:
07/09/2009 21:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 22 in Discussion

Tenakoutou

Going partly off topic but,

How we, US, ECHR ,or anyone acts, depends usually on their self interest and not, as they like to tell us ,on what is right or wrong , morally or legally.

That creep Alan Johnson could have prevented the extradition demands of the US, under British law, of hacker Gary Mckinnon,but chose not to and lied about being unable to ,in order to sook up to the big boy.

We take the moral view when it suits ,that we dont extradite to countries like USA that torture prisoners,yet here when it doesnt suit we are doing just that.

Brinsley

Message Posted:
07/09/2009 21:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 22 in Discussion

Bazooka USA! How anyone can wake up to "Wanna cap ave caafe" is beyond me, Brooke Shields or not!

Richard

andre 514

Message Posted:
07/09/2009 23:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 22 in Discussion

girne 29:

this may all be quite relevant to the cyprus situation

as I understand it the eu has selective bans on produce from "illegal" settlements

yet they seek to support the occupied palestinian areas consistent with their overall policy,

while they have only registered diplomatic "disapproval" towards the annexed territories of

east jerusalem and the golan heights

how the isolations would apply when and if turkey annexes north cyprus is speculative:

in theory the blockade would continue regardless but may be trickier to apply since the trnc

which many regard as occupied anyway, as pikelet helpfully reminds us, will no longer exist

and any tension on the island perhaps caused by the darksiders still flogging their isolation line

could presage a lot of trouble, we could be moving towards "interesting times" as the chinese say!

oh and remember, settlements that are not closed down quickly are called something different:

the process is known as "ulsterisation"

Brinsley

Message Posted:
07/09/2009 23:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 22 in Discussion

The UK Government will never alter its stance on Cyprus until the Queens husband is dead. Why do you think Callaghan and cronies were forced to take the decisions they did. Read 30 Hot Days by M.A. Birand.

Richard

girne 29

Message Posted:
07/09/2009 23:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 22 in Discussion

Andre

I dont think the TRNC can be looked on as occupied by the average inhabitant of NC.The very best the Cyprus Forum types can get away with is saying that part of Cyprus is occupied by Turkish people and Turkish Army,instead of being part of the ROC.Wile the very best the Turks can say is that the army is there for their protection.

Also remember,the Israelis did not occupy the land in question to prevent the Palestinians being killed.

At the end of the day the rights and wrongs are in the eye of the beholder.What any neutral observer must concede is that the punishment for disobeying international law is quite hard on one and non existant for the other. But then ,look at the inconsistancy with which different tyrants with the same level of evil are treated.

pinkchilli

Message Posted:
08/09/2009 09:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 22 in Discussion

America will never go against Israel, as too much money comes from those that support Israel.

Not only from American Jews, but mainly from Christians who believe the Messiah will return. You know "where" they believe he will return?

Yes, Palestine (Israel) and they trust the Jews MORE than the Muslims to make sure that when "He" returns, there will be no problems.

Geejay

Message Posted:
08/09/2009 13:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 22 in Discussion

Brinsley. For goodness sake. Have some iota of common sense. The Duke of Edinburgh has absolutely no power over the British Parliament. Under the constitution the Monarchy has no say in political matters.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
08/09/2009 13:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 22 in Discussion

msge 8

Spot on. There are many influential Americans who believe that the final days will be played out in the Holy land.

America, simultaneously the home of the most enlightened thinkers on the planet and some of the most daft.

Many countries would like to act fair and resonably, but, at present humans are far too emotional, blighted by prejudice, and when 'push comes to shove' they will act in their own self interest. Countries back who they believe are winners and punish the losers. Turkey is now a bigger player and the tide is turning.

johndp

Message Posted:
08/09/2009 14:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 22 in Discussion

Its my first post here so please forgive me if I am being silly but are there not a lot of Turkish settlers in the north of Cyprus and is this not part of the Cyprus problem please

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
08/09/2009 14:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 22 in Discussion

msge 12

there are a high percentage of turkish settlers in the North and it is a problem for the GC's.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
08/09/2009 14:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 22 in Discussion

ps and a problem for some TC's

MarkVPiazza

Message Posted:
08/09/2009 14:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 22 in Discussion

1. The Jordainians/Palestinians started the war and lost.

2. Jewish interests control a huge part of the worlds finance (including all the new Russion bilionaires)

So basically the TRNC is just like Israel, but without the money

Mark

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
08/09/2009 14:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 22 in Discussion

msge 15

interesting post, makes sense

girne 29

Message Posted:
08/09/2009 15:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 22 in Discussion

Pikey or whoever. message 9

"girne 29,

If you're saying it's wrong for Israeli incomers to occupy stolen Palestinian property then do you think it's equally wrong for British incomers to occupy stolen Cypriot property?"

Am not interested in your ROC slanted ,(notice please that I said neutral observer )thoughts on the North or Israel,Its what the EU,ECHR, and UN say and then do ,that concerns me.

For your benifit I will write again what I DID say.

"At the end of the day the rights and wrongs are in the eye of the beholder.What any neutral observer must concede is that the punishment for disobeying international law is quite hard on one and non existant for the other. "

It is the international community that has declared both states are acting illegally ,but only one state is punished.

If it makes it easier, forget Israel and TRNC ,and just say country 1 and country 2.

Iraq ?

UN resolutions ignored by some nations while we destroy or threaten others for the s

Geejay

Message Posted:
08/09/2009 17:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 22 in Discussion

Hi johndp.....One man's 'settler' is another's legal immigrant. These people were invited to the TRNC in the same way that other countries have invited those who they wish to have.

Of course it's a problem for the Greek Cypriots but how many Greek settlers are there ? No mention of that is there ?, just as there is no mention of the Greek soldiers in the South. It's all about those nasty Turk soldiers and settlers.

Geejay

Message Posted:
08/09/2009 17:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 22 in Discussion

girne 29....Of course the UN, EU and USA have adopted a hypocritical attitude to the TRNC. After all, these organisations are run by politicians who are innately hypocritical and self serving.

This attitude has arisen due to the main feelings in those organisations regarding religion and Islam in particular. It's ok to be Jewish or an Israeli because they influence many decisions in many countries, especially Britain and the USA and they've been in those countries for hundreds of years.

Being of Turkish descent is seen as different (not European) and Islam is seen as a threat by many, especially because of the violent fundamentalists. The incidence of Turks in Europe is recent and their presence concerns politicians who have a low regard for them and feel threatened by their numbers. France and Germany in particular. This antagonism rubs of onto the T/C's as most countries see no difference.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
08/09/2009 17:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 22 in Discussion

Bonio: That the UN, EU, ECHR, etc, have blatantly ignored TRNC's peoples' plight, caused by Makarios and his cronies, is despicable.

Did you want to see all TC's 'ethnically cleansed' from the island of Cyprus? Come clean and tell us, if you've got the guts!

The majority of GC's voted for Makarios, therefore trusted in his 'administrative ability' - that being the systematic massacre of Turkish Cypriots.

Since the minority have no say in a Democracy, whether or not they approved of Makarios' actions is inconsequential - they forfeited their land along with the majority; i.e., Makarios' supporters.

Unfortunately for all those, and also those who wanted 'Enosis', they 'backed the wrong horse' - when you do that, you 'lose your shirt'.

Is Christofias going to ask the Russkis for a refund on the S300 missiles, that horrendously expensive deal that misfired for RoC?

RoC could have built a fine monorail system, running from Paphos to Larnaca, with that wasted money!

Geejay

Message Posted:
08/09/2009 18:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 22 in Discussion

message 19.....Oh no not another Greek Cypriot apologist who gives his address as Kyrenia not Girne !

I don't belieeeeeve it. They're multiplying.

How many times have you to be told. Turkey did not 'invade'. It intervened to stop a civil war and to protect the minority Turkish Cypriots from genocide. This it was entitled to do and considered it it's duty under its guarantor responsibilities. Unlike Britain and Greece who chickened out ! If they had joined forces then the current impasse would not have to be broken.

For 35 years they have protected the Turkish Cypriots from their 'compatriots' and 'fellow citizens'. No wonder it annoys the G/C's, they want to finish what they started in 1963.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
08/09/2009 20:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 22 in Discussion

bonio,

"I am writhing"

Dont be a plonker all your life.

girne 29

Message Posted:
08/09/2009 21:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 22 in Discussion

bonio or whoever .

You keep trying to move this to an area not intended

the thread was about the different treatment meted out to different people who commit the same act. It was not about the property issue .If you want to repeat what we have heard a thousand times before why not go back to your own forum and leave the rest of us to discuss the vagaries of international law.

As for my investment, it would not buy a decent car ,not that its any of your business. I have lost many times that in pensions and investments over the last 2 years .As usual you think the EU and whole world revolves round what you in the ROC think should happen to TRNC, and we have nothing else to concern ourselves over.

Anyway ,I will leave you to discuss the property issue with others who might wish to engage,while I butt out before it comes to the "I have thousands of close TC friends who hate Turkey and want the army ,brits and turkish settlers out etc etc " bit.

Ta Ta

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.