North Cyprus Tourist Board - HELP!! How do I get my iphone to receive data with a Turkcell Sim?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > HELP!! How do I get my iphone to receive data with a Turkcell Sim?

HELP!! How do I get my iphone to receive data with a Turkcell Sim?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» All threads about Internet issues in North Cyprus

» Computers & Internet on Cyprus44 Business Directory

drsilk

Message Posted:
19/09/2009 14:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 5 in Discussion

HI there,

just got to the island, 4 months ago and I feel that I'm in a episode of Lost. Surely this place has got to be the ultimate test on a Brits sanity? I have looked extensively in the forums about a clear answer to this question, but to no avail. Just bought a new iphone, in the UK, jailbroken and unlocked (did it myself, but took 6 hours) running version 3. Stuck my Turkcell sim card in. Signal great, voice calls fine, but I'm not able to receive data? In fact no cellular data at all via Turkcell (though Wi-Fi fine). I've checked all the Cellular APN settings and MMS settings. All correct according to the Turkcell website. I know that Turkcell runs 3G and it seems people have no problem in running it. What do I need to do to get this working? Is there a difference between SIM cards (maybe there is a data SIM). I've been into the Turkcell stores, but as I am unable to speak Turkish I seem to be confusing them! Does the iphone 'only' work with version 2.0! Many Thanks, john

AllyTT

Message Posted:
19/09/2009 15:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

Hi,

I have the same phone with a KKTCell card, are you sure yours is Turkcell? If it's Kuzey Kibris Turkcell then the only settings you require are the APN: internet.kktcell, username and password both left blank. There may be some confusion in the stores as iPhone version 2.1 and 2.2 and 2.2.1 needed a "fix" that they were unaware of to work, so they may still be telling everyone it only works on version 2.0 and below? If the settings are correct and you still can't get online, e-mail me (ally.t.t (at) gmail (dot) com ) and maybe I can be of more help. On version 3.0 there's no need to jailbreak to be able to change the APN settings by the way.

Alison.

drsilk

Message Posted:
19/09/2009 16:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

Hi Alison,

you are a complete star. I can't believe that was so easy to fix. All other settings were correct under the "Cellular Data" menu. Even the Turkcell website states, incorrectly, to put APN as "internet". I just changed that entry to "internet.kktcell", as you suggested, and 'hey presto'. My 6 hours, minus 4 days of life span, 2 inches of hair loss have all become worth it. I can't thank you enough. I know that the charges will be expensive, but do you have any idea what they are?

Thanks so much again,

john

AllyTT

Message Posted:
19/09/2009 16:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

Hi John,

No idea re. the charges as I'm on a contract phone from work. The only prices they have on their website are for the monthly packages or GPRS. From memory I think the charges are the same as GPRS no matter how you connect to the cellular data network. If so, they are:

MB Fee

0-1 MB 0.0746 kontör/KB

1 MB and above 0,0719 kontör/KB

Probably best to confirm that with KKTCell themselves though.

You keep referring to Turkcell, their service out here is KKTCell and as far as I can see they don't list their APN details anywhere on their website. While configuring a HTC Google Phone yesterday I was left to guess at the mobile country code and mobile network code for KKTCell, the lack of information on their website is terrible. Thankfully with most things they are the same as Turkcell, all but the APN information that you needed!

Here's hoping your new toy hasn't eaten up all your credits just to download the headers of your e-mail

Al

drsilk

Message Posted:
19/09/2009 18:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 5 in Discussion

Hi Al,

thanks so much again. Of course, I have to get it into my head..."KKTCell"!!!! One very last thing. Is there anyway to turn off KKTCell very annoying "credit balance" text messages. I'm getting so many of these, I reckon if I just look at the phone one will pop-up.

Regarding tariffs. The problem with iphones seems to be the constant update and search for information. That and the 5 hour battery life. I guess I'm going to have to control my iphone more and what it does. Maybe a iphone gimp mask!!!!?!

Thanks in advance,

john

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.