North Cyprus Tourist Board - 3G and Macintosh: advice "how to connect" needed
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > 3G and Macintosh: advice "how to connect" needed

3G and Macintosh: advice "how to connect" needed

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» All threads about Internet issues in North Cyprus

» Computers & Internet on Cyprus44 Business Directory

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
22/09/2009 11:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

Does any Mac user out there use 3G to connect to the Internet? I'm not sure what to fill in and where (it's all Turkish on my screen - is there a way to read the text before the windows in English?).

Call me at 0533 864 5433 and I'll call you back at once.

(Thanks for any help - can't get any Türkcell advice because of Bayram).

waddo

Message Posted:
22/09/2009 11:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

Dutch,

No point in phoning as not a lot to tell you. Have had the Turkcell 3G on my Mac Mini and had no real problems with it but have changed over to TelSim as the coverage (in Ozankoy) is far better.

As I recall, when you plugged in the USB Dongle you had the option of displaying everything in English at that time but that the installation was pretty much automatic anyway. Send me a screen shot of what is displayed and I will see if it can jog the brain cells back to when I installed it - worth a shot anyway. I do remember that in the end it was so simple it was stupid!

Mick

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
22/09/2009 11:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

Hi Mick, thanks for your reaction - my hope is back! After connecting the modem and filling in the pin of the simm I get this screen: http://www.allcrusades.com/BB_pics/3G_start_screen.jpg .

The strenght of the connection is not stable but between 3 and 5, so probably good enough to send/receive email, which I bought this emergency 3G modem for.

What now..?!

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
22/09/2009 11:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

Forgot to add: I wasn't offered the option "English" or I missed it because I was in a hurry. Maybe I should de-install and try again?

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
22/09/2009 11:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

Mick, here's another screenshot (Network - OS 10.5.8), which also may need some attention?

http://www.allcrusades.com/BB_pics/3G_network_screen.jpg

jacktheladett

Message Posted:
22/09/2009 12:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

No, I didn't get the English option when I installed mine Hans, once you learn what it is (next to someone with the english version perhaps) it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

That said if you do find out how to do it, let me know. Un-installing doesn't work, I've tried it.

waddo

Message Posted:
22/09/2009 15:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

Dutch,

Working on the windows PC at the moment but had my Mac powered up and checked back through logs and things - big "Nothing" result there mate, sorry to say. I do remember that you have to send a SMS/Text to Turkcell to tell them you wish to be connected through but can not remember if you send it on your PC or your phone.

Sorry I am not much use but it is some time ago I did this - the big bonus is that if you install it on a windows PC it will just install for you and you get the chose of an English screen as well. You can instal the program from the dongle onto a huge number of PC's so try it on a windows one if you have one running and maybe that will give you more clues.

For sure the Mac system kind of takes over the whole installation. By the way, if you are getting between 3 and 5 bars you will be able to do much more than just email!

Will send more if I can get more grey cells banging around!!

Mick

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
23/09/2009 09:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

Thanks Waddo and Jacktheladett for the replies. I'll try the modem first on another Mac (and install slowly, maybe I get the option for English...). If it doesn't work I'll go to TürkCell tomorrow and ask for assistance. I'll write down what the do so maybe other Mac users can benefit from the information.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.