North Cyprus Tourist Board - Estate agent and lawyer recommendations
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Estate agent and lawyer recommendations

Estate agent and lawyer recommendations

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» List of North Cyprus Estate Agents

» See All North Cyprus Estate Agent Related Threads

adam7157

Message Posted:
07/05/2007 15:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 31 in Discussion

Hi there i am new to this i am currently interested in setting up a holiday home in North Cyprus and have been scouring the net for info.I am overwhelmed wjth the properties and locations on offer and just dont no where to start so help is seriously needed please.Could anyone recomend a reptuble estate agents and lawyer.I would love to hear from people who have completed there sales and how the process went .I am sorry if this as been asked over and over again.Thanks in advance.

Garythegeezer

Message Posted:
07/05/2007 15:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 31 in Discussion

Hi Adam,

We bought 3 years ago and our advice would be to tread VERY carefully, however, that said we do love the place.

If we were to go through the process again I think that we would go for a "used" home who's vendor was in possesion of the Kocan, this would cut out 2/3 years of hassle. There is also the benefit that any known snagging should have been put right, also, make sure you have the property and pool (if any) are professionally surveyed.

Never, ever, use an Advocte that is recommended by either the builder/estate agent, again if we buy another place I would use an Advocate from outside the area I was buying in as they are less likely to have issues of conflict.

Above all, trust your own instincts, if it seems to good to be true then listen to the voice in your head! Property is 10 a penny here, miss one and there is always another to look at.

Good luck with the search

Regards

Gtg

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
07/05/2007 18:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 31 in Discussion

We used Donaghy & Beyler Estates agents as my husband works with the sister of an employee at Donaghy so came well recommended and we used Naomi Mehmet - who we have found to be very good. Having said that we havent completed yet - due to complete in July. Although I know many other people who have used Naomi to be very good.

Bradus

Message Posted:
07/05/2007 19:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 31 in Discussion

Adam go to Home Buyers Pressure Group, North Cyprus for their lists of do's and dont's when purchasing. Also read up on the different type of title deeds. It is a buyers market so take your time, find the area you like first, then look at property. You tend to hear horror stories regarding all the scams but many people have had positive experiences too but these are less publicised. Recommendations from people who have had good service and workmanship is a good start. Do a literature search try to ignore all the estate agent advice and read as much as you can about buying in north cyprus. Armed with information you are less likely to fall prey to dishonest estate agents, lawyers and builders. Good Luck.

malteser

Message Posted:
07/05/2007 20:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 31 in Discussion

hello neighbour,

coming to the end of my buying process and so far been lucky considering what can go wrong - there are plenty of very sad stories about delays, lost deposits and scams etc. - force yourself to read them at http://www.trncpropertywarning.freewebsites.com

http://www.hbpg-trnc.net

there are also two excellent forums on which people discuss estate agents and property progress

http://www.northcyprusforum.co

http://www.groups.msn.com/TRNCvillaowners

you can simply not read enough from these types of forums and I would recommend going as far back as possible and trawling through comments about estate agents and solicitors

In 2004, I did about six weeks of research via internet before coming out to look with the intention of buying - make a wish list inc. budget (allow 10% on top of price for taxes etc. paid after villa is built) and go through everything

that's available with different agents

Do your homework thoroughly before you come out here especially different reputations of builders, estate agents, solicitors etc. and areas if possible - east of Kyrenia is the up and coming area (Esentepe/Bacheli - where new marina to be built/Talitsu) but it is a hike from main town of Kyrenia. Many Brits prefer the more established Alsanack/Lapta over other side (West) of Kyrenia.

Take your time and folow your gut instinct - don't be afraid to pull out even if you have established contacts etc. My first contact was with NCP - lots of phone calls and even met them at conference at G-Mex - but changed my mind - then in contact with Medview - again met them, including big Ali Safa at conference and flew out on inspection trip with them.

Spent a day with them, impressed with what I saw but still something niggling -so looked at other properties we'd found on internet before flying out - finally bought one of those instead.

Don't pay for inspection trips - instead contact estate agents direct, arrange own flight and accommodation and ask them to take you round things you've seen and liked. My friend, also an electrician, bought just a month ago - was swotting up at my house beforehand - he used Stringers as I did and I'd recommend them again. Nahomi Mehmet is the solicitor of the moment (based in Kyrenia) but name is everywhere and could soon be overloaded if not already - will find other recommendations on forums.

Visit several times if you have to - you are welcome to contact me off board if you need any more advice.

Good luck

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
07/05/2007 23:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 31 in Discussion

Gary, msg 2 has a very valid point about resales. There are plenty around too.

What I would say with estate agents is the same as UK, they are all cheats and liers until proved otherwise. For every good buy, like one above you will hear a bad one from same place. So read all about everyone and make your own mind up.

This unfortunatly applies to solicitors even more so. Most have links to builders and all in Girne work together. Best advice from most long term residents is use a solicitor in Lefkosa. Most have no connection with building work.

My personal view if you want to buy new is keep away from East of Girne. It is getting overbuilt and the further you go towards and beyond Esentepe the likelehood of getting mains water and electric diminishes to zero in some places. Also there are limited shopping opportunities. There are some "gated" sites but to me they are anathama to a country like this.

So investigate very closely on your visits what is there, where ever you decide on.

David

DarrenW

Message Posted:
07/05/2007 23:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 31 in Discussion

Personally I would avoid Naomi Mehmet, she is too close to the developers and I am having real problems with getting responses from her, emails taking week(s) to reply. I ended up calling her last week, exspensive from England, but lack of email response was frustrating me, got her answer machine, she in turn left a message for me today to Email her of all things! I was speechless! I also feel like I am having to drive the whole process.

Other people have had no problems, which makes me think they have taken on too much work and are struggling to provide a half decent service.

adam7157

Message Posted:
08/05/2007 00:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 31 in Discussion

Hi there cheers for all the replies very helpful indeed.Also has anyone dealt with turtle bay properties.Bradus where do i go to look for the home buyers pressure group is there an email address for this please.And if anyone can think of any helpful advice it will be much appriciated as the advice already received has been cheers.

victoriasloss

Message Posted:
08/05/2007 08:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 31 in Discussion

we have some recommendations on our new Website

http://www.trncpropertywarning.freewebsites.com

good luck and we hope you have more luck than our parents did

regards

Vikki and Simon

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
08/05/2007 10:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 31 in Discussion

I'm really sorry but I have to say people are going to get all these sorts of hiccups in whatever country you are in - even England!!

I work for solicitors in the UK. I know what solicitors are like! I have to say they are just like doctors and estate agents!!! When you want to get hold of them they are busy but if they want to get hold of you for their fees then they will keep contacting you!! Oh and upsetting these people will not help you!!! They will go even slower just to annoy you!

So TRNC is NO different from the UK I am afraid to say (apart from the obvious - with the north/south divide, land etc).

At the end of the day if you do your homework properly and buy the right land, buy from a reputable builder then you shouldn't have too many issues.

Yes there are going to be people who have had lots of problems but I'm sure if you weighed up the good with the bad the good will outweigh all the bad stuff!!!

At the end of the day Adam all I can say is do your homework. Speak to lots of people - take advice. If you get the right advice you can't go wrong.

sarahlou

Message Posted:
08/05/2007 14:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 31 in Discussion

We are just completing our purchase and i would recommend North Cyprus International (Jamie/John in the UK with Tim and Diane in N.Cyprus) each and every time. We met with some pretty dodgy individuals, developers and estate agents on our visits to TRNC and found them professional but not in the least bit pushy, they really went out of their way to find us the right property with in our budget. As for Solicitors, Naomi Mehmet has acted for us, she and her team seem to be fine, we have had no issues what so ever and have found communication to be very good, if a little over priced compared to others.

You will find that the artist impressions, site plans of lush green gounds with wonderful features are very attractive but the reality can be somewhat different. We have bought a re-sale after visiting several new developments we felt that the risks associated were too great, it is difficult to see where your plot is and how the other villas around will impact on your views.

It is difficult and you will be romanced by all the hype and brochures but i would suggest the following:

1. Set your budget and stick to it.

2. Look at re-sale properties, at least you know what you are getting and where it actually is positioned.

3. Use reputable Estate Agents and select a few, dont stick to one or two.

4. Try to go and view independantly, we did not use an agent for a 'viewing trip' yes it cost us a little more but at least we had independance and were not tied to one agent.

5. Spend some time in the areas you are looking to buy, we were looking in the Bogaz region but found it very baron, flat and less pitcuresque that the Esentepe/Kyrenia regions and ended up buying in a completly different part of the island that originally thought.

Good luck with the hunt, i know how difficult it can be but if you do your research and don't be romanced by agents/developer promises, i am sure most are genuine but dont do anything there you woulnd't do when buying at home.

SaraLou

Perry

Message Posted:
12/05/2007 11:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 31 in Discussion

Hi Adam - Like everybody else has said, be very careful - there are a lot of horror stories out there. BUT this is not unique to NorthCyprus - Spain, for example has its own horror stories with Villas being taken back due to rogue builders and corrupt officials.

We have bought a villa from Armacon Design (builders) in Bellapais. They have built to high specification, on time and are compleing the site- it is also Turkish Title Land. We got it cheaper by cutting out the estate agents, but this is riskier - make sure the builder has track record, check references etc. (there are a couple left if you look on their web site) Also, take note of SaraLou - Electrics and Water are an issue - make sure these are tied down in your contract and available !

As long as you are careful you will be fine - but always remember if it looks too good to be true on price, it probably is ! Good Luck

CLOUD9

Message Posted:
12/05/2007 19:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 31 in Discussion

Hello Adam,

I can only go on my experience and all of the foresaid is correct and should be taken on board. I used Unwins like all Estate agents they were good with the chat and they followed the sale through with updates on the build via photographs etc. The only gripe is there follow-up service could have been better. I was lucky the builder I used Alaska Construction was great and hot on getting any snagging issues resolved, nothing seems too much trouble for them and they only take on a few builds at a time unlike some companies that build, build, build and nothing gets finished, the electricity connection was a problem but Arif managed to sort it out by pestering the electricity people to death so he got metres for his apartments. I bought in Lapta I just wanted to be part of village life you know shop at the local shops enjoy the local restaurants plus Lapta is very green with it's culverts of water trickling down the hillside, but it is horses for courses as they say. Good luck

davidoff

Message Posted:
14/05/2007 12:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 31 in Discussion

Hello Adam,

There are horror stories about NC! and other places all over the world aswell but also there are alot of good professional companies!

As long as you do your homework and due dilligence you should be able to make a good decision!

Dont rush into things or feel pressurised by agents, take your time and feel comfortable with the decision you make!

Dont believe everything agents tell you, find out things for yourself, ask around, scout the webb etc!

Dont fall for these estate agent lines like: You have to make a decision today, its the last one, I have someone else looking at it aswell, the prices are going to go up tomorrow ....etc!!! Its all sales tactics...to get you to sign there and then.!

Dont be worried about if you dont decide there and then to buy if you fall in love with something as theres so much on the market, something else will come along the next day...so dont panic!!!

Ive bought at Sweetwater bay in tatlisu off plan- so far so good! Agents very friendly and helpful, and no pressure! Just what I like!!

Good luck with your decisions and house hunting!!

Take care D

pilgrim

Message Posted:
14/05/2007 22:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 31 in Discussion

Hi Adam,

My friends and I all agree a Turkish Cypriot advocate who speaks english is certainly is beneficial as they know the TRNC system best and can translate and convey your wishes and concerns to the other parties with a good chance of getting it right.

Highly recommended and respected:-

Hakki Onen-famagusta

Hasan Balmain- Lefkosa

regards

p

Oknala

Message Posted:
30/05/2007 21:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 31 in Discussion

Good luck with your quest. We bought through, Alexanders Overseas, a Medview property and v happy with it. Liked Alexanders because there was no pressure whatever put on us, they just took us to a property, let us look around and answered any questions we had.

We did look with some other agents at villas that seemed a much better buy, in a different area, but discovered there was a problem with the infrastructure. At least everything is in and working where we are, apart from when we get the power cuts of course!! But, they did warn us last time - power cuts sometime between 10.00am and 5.00pm, at 6.00pm the power was still on, so we all relaxed. At 6.30pm we were looking for the candles.....

The solicitor we used was Mine Konat, UK educated, and it has so far, fingers crossed, been a good experience.

sweep

Message Posted:
11/10/2007 21:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 31 in Discussion

hi every one bourght @ sweetwater bay through north cyprus international with legal help off niaomi memmhett all was good with every one at hand to answer all questions does anyone know as to when the complex is ready for occuption and all services ready to use for a holiday.

yiddo

Message Posted:
26/01/2009 14:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 31 in Discussion

bought from henry charles 3 years ago, aqua city/ paid all up front 35000 pounds, no sign of finnishing. not one phone call from henry charles or builder in three years , they are the worst estate agents ihave ever come across. does anyone know a good solicitor thats not in a meeting all day. somebody please help me. iwill be coming out their in 2 weeks time.

Stewart

Message Posted:
26/01/2009 15:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 31 in Discussion

dear adam

I buy and sell property in NC....I always use Halil ( English speaking TC ) at Northcypruspropertyconsultants.com

Solicitors...I always use naomi memhet.......can recommend both, service is excellant whilst prices are competive, both very efficient.

stevemac

Message Posted:
26/01/2009 15:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 31 in Discussion

Most of the Girne lawyers work far too closely with the developers, Naomi Mehmet included. She didnt inform me about the specific performance law problem before I bought, and that I couldnt get the deeds for my property if the vendor doesnt want to give them to me even if I'd paid all my money. I wouldnt be in the mess I'm in now if she had acted in my best interests. I've heard that she was aware of mortgages on a site and didnt tell her customers. She has no litigation experience and is a conveyancing lawyer, so things only go smoothly if you have no problems. If you have to pay up front then walk away. Medview Homes recommend their buyers to go to Mine Konat, so who is she working for? Speak to the HBPG for information, they are not being paid by anyone and will therefore give unbiased advice. Buy resale from someone who already has the title deeds. Rather than pay extra to go through Estate Agent why not put what your looking for on this board?

DONTY

Message Posted:
26/01/2009 16:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 31 in Discussion

Be careful with resales.

These properties were built when regulations were more lax and less professional companies were here. Many people on this forum complain of problems with their properties and it is these properties you will be looking at. It is quite easy to paint over areas of damp, hide the fact that the pool leaks, that the roof has sieve like properties etc and once you buy a second hand property you are on your own.

Friends of mine in agency have told me about the problems some of their resale buyers are encountering. It is no different to buying any used product, it doesn't come with a warranty. If you are thinking of buying used, visit during or just after rain and wind to see if you can catch the seller out.

If you are going to buy new, don't go for the cheapest thing possible as many do. Quality costs but is worth it in the long run. Choose a builder that can introduce you to buyers and ask about their experiences with their properties.

ian444

Message Posted:
26/01/2009 16:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 31 in Discussion

Adam

It is a brave man who buys property in the TRNC at present, wait for the judgement in the Orans case, wait for the property dicussions between the two Presidents. You will then have an idea of how things stand.

You might get a bargin now but if this bargin is worthless in 6 months time its not such a good deal. Sorry to sound like a wet sponge but I firmly believe it is virtually impossible to buy in the TRNC with any security at present

pach77

Message Posted:
08/06/2010 14:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 31 in Discussion

Did you have any joy with Aqua City.

We have purchased a 3 bedroomed apartment and have witheld the last payment as it seems to be at a standstill.

Beginning to wish we had never started.

elko2

Message Posted:
08/06/2010 14:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 31 in Discussion

Simple Advice:,

Hire an advocate to advise you on the proposed contract and how to proceed safely. Agree to pay the advocate a reasonable fixed sum irrespective of whether the deal goes ahead or not. Otherwise the advocate will not tell you the trouble spots or anything that may hold up the deal.

The main trouble is that most prospective buyers make up their minds on the house they want to purchase, they pay the deposit and then go to an advocate to complete the deal. The buyer does not want to hear anything and all he wants is to sign on the dotted line. There lies the problem but it is always better to blame the advocvate, the Estate Agent, anybody and everybody except themselves.

ismet

Tina100

Message Posted:
08/06/2010 17:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 31 in Discussion

Korman Homes

Office: Next door to Cyprus pools Girne

Tel:05338672899 / 03928155025

Email: kormanhomes@kormancons.com

wynyardman

Message Posted:
08/06/2010 20:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 31 in Discussion

Adam,

Best advice stay well away.

Never has Caveat Emptor, been more applicable.

wynyardman

BigBen

Message Posted:
08/06/2010 21:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 31 in Discussion

Sourch Google:

North Cyprus Property Developers.

Choose a developer that is a member of TRNC builders and construction association.

Buying direct from developer may save you about 10%

Hector

Message Posted:
08/06/2010 23:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 31 in Discussion

"Buying direct from developer may save you about 10%"

It may also cost you all your money, your health and you ending up with no house to show for it. I prefer winyardman's advice.

Bradus

Message Posted:
09/06/2010 00:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 31 in Discussion

Don't buy until there are changes in the law to safeguard your purchase.Only someone with a lobotomy would now be prepared to buy here.

smoggyjim

Message Posted:
09/06/2010 06:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 31 in Discussion

Adam,

do not go anywhere near Turtlebay Properties, I did and have only a shell this after 3 years, the old Turtlebay properties are now based in Spain and are bankrupt, they also along with the developer appear to have swindled most of the people from our site and other sites out their money, go for a resale.

smoggyjim

Vidal

Message Posted:
09/06/2010 08:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 31 in Discussion

I wonder what happened to Adam..did he buy in North Cyprus back in 2007?

His postings went on for a week and then stopped! This has got to be one of the oldest threads!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.