North Cyprus Tourist Board - STOP the poisoning and help the KAR - ways to stop this cruelty
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > STOP the poisoning and help the KAR - ways to stop this cruelty

STOP the poisoning and help the KAR - ways to stop this cruelty

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

HildySmith

Message Posted:
23/09/2009 12:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

I visited my local UK pet shop/grooming centre this morning for more leaders for the KAR and asked about muzzles to prevent the dogs being poisoned. She demonstrated several but one in particular prevents the dogs picking anything up, and it comes in 7 sizes. I told her about the problem KAR and dog owners are having in TRNC. She immediately came up with a great idea. She is going to run a raffle to be drawn at Christmas and give a dog bed as the prize. She is buying the raffle tickets and has asked me to prepare and put up notices advertising the raffle and giving details of the problem. All of the funds for this will be used to supply muzzles which will prevent the dogs from picking up and eating anything whilst on a walk. They are very good and cost from £6 each (depending on the size).

ANYONE can do this ANYWHERE!! I won't be over till January - but you maybe can do something sooner. How about bars where brits drink, or shops - COME ON - WE CAN ALDO SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!

HildySmith

Message Posted:
24/09/2009 00:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

Come on - ~Any ideas those of you who have been shouting about KAR.

This way you know exactly where the money is going

Any one got any more ideas?

Lilli

Message Posted:
24/09/2009 00:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

Count me in let me know what I have to do please xxxxxxxxxx

HildySmith

Message Posted:
24/09/2009 01:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

I have had a look at the muzzles and they look good. she has one which is just to keep the mouth closed - no good for us as they can eat. The other one 'looks good' and comes in 7 sizes - cannot eat or bite with them on.

Maybe if anyone can have a collection or run a raffle then let me know how much they raise, I can buy them and bring them over. I am bringing a load of leaders and collars anyway - already got them.

let me know if you come up with any ideas yourselves.

- years ago my kids used to tap dance in homes for the elderly and collected for this type of charity

- Raffles are good, this lady has never heard of Kyrenia - but dead keen to help

- Donations would be great - if someone can organise it, I will bring them

dizzycows

Message Posted:
24/09/2009 12:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

Hi katymackem, Kar as you say only want the complete muzzle as dogs have picked up the poison with the ones that leave the dog free to sniff or lick.

We are taking over various sizes soon, approx 20, more if room allows, and are very light.

I bought mine from an ebay shop, fast delivery and will deliver where ever, (not NC though)!.

All the best with your raffle idea, xx

HildySmith

Message Posted:
26/09/2009 17:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

I have seen 3 types.

1. Fibre - light weight very cheap, but they will be able to eat with it on.

2. Plastic Mesh - Good solid one, firm plastic, still possible to lick through it

3. Plastic/Mesh/Solid - Very good, as mentioned about. firm plastic with solid area around the mouth - cannot eat anything or lick anything. Prices start at £6 each for the small one and increase for each size.

If we can provide enought to stop them killing the dogs, maybe they will give up - must be dissapointing to lay all that poison and meat and not get one dog - that is my ambition for them - B******s

HildySmith

Message Posted:
06/10/2009 21:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

All sorted now. My hubby gave me a great idea, he said that I had far too many tins of food in the cupboard, so the prizes now include: an animal bed, Christmas Hamper, Bottle of Whiskey and a Bottle of wine. Managed to make a good notice using the KAR website.

I hope it all goes well??????

catalkoykid

Message Posted:
06/10/2009 21:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

all though what you are doing is a great jesture, but all the time these dogs are put back on the street by kar this problem will not stop, are kar going to release these dogs with muzzels,the only thing it will stop are the pets getting poisoned,stray dogs are being released to annoy the locals in the villages who posion these dogs, stop the release stop the problem?

catalkoykid

Message Posted:
06/10/2009 21:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

mess 1 you stop them getting posioned on the walks, then through them out in villages,whatever next

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
06/10/2009 22:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

catalkoykid

I think you are missing something fundamental here.

KAR have a neuter and release policy on all street dogs, they do not have the room or the facilities to keep every dog that they pick up or are brought to them. Your anger should be aimed at the Belediye's that are responsible for laying the poison. I suggest you try to appraise yourself of the situation at KAR's before making uneducated statements.

AJ

catalkoykid

Message Posted:
06/10/2009 22:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

no alsancakjack think you are,put these animals out in the villages they will be killed,not just buy belediye but but goat farmers because they attack and chase there goats,untill they bring out a culling programme this will continue full stop

negativenick

Message Posted:
06/10/2009 22:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

its like the litter here - bloody disgusting, but you'll never stop it.....

Lilli

Message Posted:
06/10/2009 23:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

we will never stop anything here. Untiul they sere that to sell poision is dangerous and ask questions. It should be recorded and a batch no assigned to the buyer. Then we may know by whom bought it. They will do not one thing. They are happy to sell and they are actually responsible. Lets start with thy sellers

HildySmith

Message Posted:
09/10/2009 17:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

It is not just a TRNC matter. It was on our local news in the UK they found a beautiful, long haired German Shepherd dog tied to a tree - abandoned - in the UK

they are saying that there has been an increase due to the recession

KAR cannot house all the dogs, they do not have the facilities to do that.

Every responsible person must act according to their conscience

Lilli

Message Posted:
09/10/2009 17:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

katy we do try beleive me. I tend to find the abondened ones xx

spondoolics

Message Posted:
10/10/2009 17:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

I just returned UK from a 2 week visit, villa purchase going well. I was totally sickened by the sight of stray, unkempt starving animals on the streets and roads aroung Girne, Ozankoy and Catalkoy - to name a few. How can any one justify a policy of rescuing starving animals off the street. Neutering, feeding and carrying out a full vet service, then dumping back on the streets again. It is beyond my imagine the fear and pain these once demostic animals go through before before dying a terrible lingering death, either poisoning or starvation. I can never support KAR who condone this policy. Catalkoy Kid is right, a culling programme must be the right way to ensure this problem is finally brought under control. I have lived in a lot of places, this is not unique. I hope to live most of the year in TRNC so feel I can say something on the matter. Alsanjack, it may well be a fundamental problem, this does not mean you just accept, they should be faced up to, and put right.

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
10/10/2009 17:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

spondoolics..well said!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.