North Cyprus Tourist Board - Are the settlers going back to Turkey?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Are the settlers going back to Turkey?

Are the settlers going back to Turkey?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus History

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
26/09/2009 11:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 13 in Discussion

Not so according to Erdogan

In todays Cyprus Mail

Christofias also expressed his regret that when he raised the settlers issue during his discussion on Thursday with Erdogan, “he told me: ‘This problem is solved.’ How? They are all ‘citizens’ of the so-called Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus.” Christofias said that “with these positions and this philosophy”, even if he met Turkish Cypriot leader Mehmet Ali Talat a thousand times, “we couldn’t achieve a solution”.

I'm sure 'of the so called Turkish republic of Northern Cyprus' are not Erdogans words. The GC's are still showing contempt for the North. This is the langauge of frustration and does not engender good relations.

ps IMO engaging Turkey directly in the discussions is what the GC's should have been doing right from the beginning, even before talking to Talat.

elko2

Message Posted:
26/09/2009 11:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 13 in Discussion

Last point first: The Greek Cypriots always wanted to negotiate with Turkey directly but Turkey refused and told them to deal with TRNC directly.

Most of those so called "settlers" have been born in Cyprus and they ahve every right to stay here. Furthermore, there has been an influx of other people in the south aws well, so what is good for the goose is also good for the gandah!

Indeed, every Greek national is now entitled to come and settle in south Cyprus because of EU membership. Now we want reciprocity on that issue as well and allow every Turkish national to come and settle here as well.

Greek Cypriots were very fond of asking for "one man one vote" and have joint elections. Give us another couple of years and we will be happy to go along that since we will be in the majority

ismet

http://www.elkocyprus.com

billyboy1

Message Posted:
26/09/2009 12:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 13 in Discussion

Well said Ismet....

elko2

Message Posted:
26/09/2009 13:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 13 in Discussion

Lostgeezer,

What a suitable name, no need to say any more

ismet

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
26/09/2009 14:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 13 in Discussion

My DEAR friend Ismet....

I so often hear a counter to TR's deliberate population shift " but there are many "settlers" in the "rump" RoC , too..

It is a VERY lame and inaccurate "excuse"..

There may be approx 25K Pontians settled.. ( Greek passports - but ex-Soviet "Greeks" ) .. they have NOT equalled or excelled the indigenous population.

We BOTH know that many TCs are NOT happy about this..

OF COURSE many of the Turks living in Cyprus were born there.. of TR parentage.. I've met some of these lovely people with you ! The longer time passes buy, the harder it is to say - you must go "home" .. esp. if "home" is now Cyprus.... but let's be honest... THAT was the intention of TR - all those years ago...

So, now we are in the 21C and the "rump" RoC is subject to the EU acquis.. freedom of movement for EU citizens...

THAT's why I would LOVE TR to be IN the EU.... No more "argument" ... freedom of movement for ALL ... subject to an abrogation.. say 20 years ?

Tiggy

Message Posted:
26/09/2009 14:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 13 in Discussion

Sorry Mmmmmm's, I have to disagree.

The North is there and it is to stay. Can you please name me one concession the GC's are prepared to make to the TC nation to reassure it is in their best interests to be governed by them??????

Did not Britain send jocks and all to over populate Ulster to bolster the vote etc....they are still living in Ireland and they are not going to return! ROI & ROC....Northern Ireland & Turkish Republic of Cyprus. That's it mate.....for ever more.

Best regards to you Mark.

elko2

Message Posted:
26/09/2009 15:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 13 in Discussion

Marky,

So its only 25,000 settlers in the south. I am sure you know the story about Bernard Shaw but I would love to remind you again.

At a party Bernard Shaw asks a lady to dance with him and the conversation leads to this interesting question: "Would she stay with him for one night if he gave her 1000 pounds?" That was big money in those days and she said yes without any hesitation. Then crafty Mr. Shaw put the second question: "What if I give you only 5 pounds?" The lady was very upset and cried out "What do you think I am?"

Well we all know his famous retort:" I thought we agreed about what you are, our only disagreement is the price".

So Marky, the numbers do not change the principle.

ismet

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
26/09/2009 16:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 13 in Discussion

Dear Ismet

I believed we WERE discussing the principle .. one act was a deliberate attempt to shift the population balance, t'other was an act of humanity... after the break-up of of the S.Union .. Germany took 2back" ethnic Germans, for example..

The Pontians are oft deemed to be "criminals" and trouble makers and many TCs have expressed displeasure at being outnumbered.. NOT something a GC could say - as Pontians make up (approx) one in 20-30 of the population in the south..

This is a VERY different kettle of fish..

I would have hoped you might have mentioned my idea of a resolution ;)

Be "good" !

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
26/09/2009 16:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 13 in Discussion

Dear Patrick

re msg 7

YES, your planter's analogy is valid... I may be a relic of non indigenous folk PLANTED in N.Ireland to alter the population balance ! ( Except MY Dad's side of the family are from Longford .. in the "south"... and had to be "persuaded" to move to the "north" ;) .. The GREAT thing is that you and I can choose WHERE to live in Ireland and even to choose passports !

If it was wrong of the British back then, HOW is it different what TR has done ? Anyway.. I hope for a similar solution - like Ireland.. you can be what you want to be and live where you want... ULTIMATELY..

Stewart

Message Posted:
26/09/2009 16:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 13 in Discussion

Q.....If "settlers" have had children born in NC....are the children cypriot?....would they be allowed to stay by the ROC?....would their parents be allowed to stay..to look after them?

Q...Did the problems in Cyprus begin when GC tried to ethnetically cleanse the island...what is the difference between then and now..trying to rid the north of "settlers"

I am not taking sides, but simply asking for views

Geejay

Message Posted:
26/09/2009 16:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 13 in Discussion

Why should the 'settlers' go 'back' to Turkey ?. Another name for them might be legal immigrants. They should therefore to be treated no differently to Cypriots born here...They are all citizens of Cyprus.

These immigrants were invited here and have legal status given to them by the De facto government. It's for sure that the 'settlers' in the South won't be told to go back to wherever they came from.

Tiggy

Message Posted:
26/09/2009 17:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 13 in Discussion

Thanks Mark,

I would love to see the Island as one. but to me it is all one sided in what the GC want and demand. I know the TC people feel safe and have no fear anymore. Which ever way you look at it the TC's were getting the rough end of the pineapple, ethnic cleansing was taking place and it was going to escalte to mass slaughter. Turkey stepped in and since 74 peace has prevailed. For them to leave they will have to be guaranteed certain things. As I asked you earlier....what concessions do you feel the GC's should give and what would your opinion be on what the GC's should offer to the Tc's. All over the world we have countries divided in to North & South.....

As for living anywhere in Ulster....certain parts I would not show my little red neck in!

NI is part of the EU and we saw recently how migrant workers were treated and threatened by one side of the divide with all its bigotedness and hatred with anything not the same as them.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
26/09/2009 21:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 13 in Discussion

Dear Patrick,

re 13

>>we saw recently how migrant workers were treated and threatened by one side of the divide << a small %age of ignorant bigots.. they DON'T speak for me or most folk..

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.