North Cyprus Tourist Board - Important HSBC UPdate Info
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Important HSBC UPdate Info

Important HSBC UPdate Info

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Banks Related Threads posted so far

» See North Cyprus Interest Rates

stellasstar1

Message Posted:
27/09/2009 16:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

Hi, I've just had a message from HSBC asking me to update my information, otherwise my internet account will be closed. Has anyone else had this email?. and is it genuine. When I logged onto my account in the normal way, it did not say anything about updating it. So is this a fraud email?. I didn't respond to the link attached.

Stella

cronos

Message Posted:
27/09/2009 16:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

99% probability of fraud/phishing email.

Don't respond.

Contact your branch by phone.

I get regular emails from HSBC about updating my information....and I've never held an account with them !

scoobydoo

Message Posted:
27/09/2009 16:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

I didn't get an email from HSBC, and I would not respond to it, but would contact the bank on Monday to confirm what is going on.

I did receive a text saying that my accounts would be frozen until I went in and confirmed my details. Apparently it is some rule that has come out of Turkey and I did call in and do this, albeit it took 2hours 15 mins!!!

I have now closed my accounts!

dizzycows

Message Posted:
27/09/2009 16:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

I had a call regarding my account by mobile phone whilst out shopping in GB asking for my account details so they could update! rather short and curt was my answer, as only do business with a bank face to face or logged into my account! Do not respond to the email, go into the bank and see what they need.

I have at least half dozen such messages every month from banks that I have never even dealt with.

All scams and possible fraud. Take care......

mrsgee

Message Posted:
27/09/2009 17:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

I was a victim of a scam like this a couple of years ago. Whatever you do, don't give out your details. The scam I was subjected to was very very professionally done, involving what looked to all intents and purposes like HSBC web site. Then involving a phone call to 'HSBC' as I was told I could not update online. guy answered, asked usual security questions, mother's maiden name, date of birth, etc, at which point he had not only got hold of my account details but also answers to my security questions. Result - £1,000 taken in Barbados or somewhere, from my UK bank account. Scam also involved a Trojan Horse that crashed my computer so I had no idea that someone was messing around with my account. HSBC were brilliant - this all happened on a Sunday - they phoned me next day to say suspicious transaction on my account. In the end all was sorted and my £1,000 put back by HSBC. I have nothing but praise - in this instance - for the actions of HSBC - never give out any details!

Lilli

Message Posted:
27/09/2009 17:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

I get emails asking me to confirm details from Nat west and I do not have any accounts with them. Just dont give details please xx

MrsSnakes

Message Posted:
27/09/2009 18:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

I also get emails from Banks that I do not have accounts with asking for details.

It is a scam.

Mrs Snakes

melbrandy

Message Posted:
27/09/2009 18:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

Central Bank of Turkey has asked that all banks update and confirm their client details.

HSBC north cyprus has its parent company in istanbul and has decided to follow through with some zeal.

It appears to be the only bank doing so.

However as pointed out above, it has normally been communicating with its clients here by text message and certainly not email.

To encourage you to comply they have started to withdraw services unless you come in along with the required bit of paper confirming your address. A recent bill or muhtars letter will do.

In my case they simply stopped my credit card transactions until i complied.

flightholiday

Message Posted:
27/09/2009 18:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

As a rule do not reply to any banks emails phone or text messages. We get many every day mainly from banks and c/cards that we do not deal with. If not sure call your banking contact.

Msg 8 - You are correct in this instance.

We have talked with HSBC Girne and they have had the update details sent by us but due to some restirction can't put us back on line until we have visited them (when next over in North Cyprus).

paddywack

Message Posted:
27/09/2009 18:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

It`s a con, I get this type of e-mail from banks that I have never had dealings with.

orangekazzie

Message Posted:
27/09/2009 19:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

Never ever follow links in your e-mail box. Always open a new tab and either type the url in manually or copy/paste it in. You'll see from where it takes you whether its genuine or not.

Karen

stellasstar1

Message Posted:
27/09/2009 19:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

Thanks for all the replies. I thought it ws odd because I went in and updated my account after a phone call about 6 months ago.

Stella

negativenick

Message Posted:
27/09/2009 20:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

its deffo a scam..

ignore it..

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
27/09/2009 20:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

RE msg 11, Karen: (...) Never ever follow links in your e-mail box. Always open a new tab and either type the url in manually or copy/paste it in. You'll see from where it takes you whether its genuine or not. (...)

=> If I remember well you're a Mac user? There is free software (ClamXav) that scans incoming email (it has many other features!) and it alarms you when a suspicious email or URL in your browser is found. Until I started to use it I thought my hard drives were rather secure and clean, but ClamXav found several pieces of malicious software and removed it.

I'm sure such software exists for PC also - maybe someone out there can help other PC users with a tip?

orangekazzie

Message Posted:
27/09/2009 20:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

Hi Hans

Not a Mac user, but thanks for the information. I mainly use Ubuntu although I do have a couple of laptops with Windows XP and Vista on.

Regards

Karen

pinkchilli

Message Posted:
28/09/2009 00:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

HSBC sent me a text message. I rang the number given, which was the same as on my HSBC internet page.

They ask you some strange security questions, one involving my passport details, which I refused to answer. So they said they would have to confirm it was me, so they sent me a security code by text, when I repeated this number, everything was fine.

It's something to do with a new law in Turkey, regarding fraud, etc.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.