North Cyprus Tourist Board - litter in kyrenia
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > litter in kyrenia

litter in kyrenia

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Kyrenia North Cyprus

» Kyrenia Cyprus Photo Gallery

» Kyrenia Sights

sissy

Message Posted:
24/04/2008 17:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Just returned from kyrenia such a lovely relaxing place. the people and the food is lovely. The big let down is litter everywhere, on the beaches, in the hedgeways, no one seems to clear it away. The goverment dont seem to consider it important. Maybe everyone concerned should write to the tourist industry. The builders should be made responsable for there own rubbish and clear it away. The south doesnt have the same problem.

orangekazzie

Message Posted:
24/04/2008 17:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Hi Sissy

The ex-pats have fought long and hard to get the locals to do something about the litter, not just in Kyrenia but on the beaches and towns/villages around Lapta/Alsancak it doesn't seem to matter.

As I said in an earlier posting, you will never change the elderly as this is their way of life. You need to educate the youngsters in school. The UK 40/50 years ago had litter everywhere and London especially was a dirty horrible place. Not at all the place to encourage visitors. After a long hard battle its now a much tidier place. Who knows one day the TRNC will be a tidy place. All we can do is our bit and make sure we don't drop litter and just pick bits up along our driveways.

Karen

orangekazzie

Message Posted:
24/04/2008 17:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

You also have to remember that the TRNC is still a relatively young Country and only just finding their way around. Its been said it is around 30 years behind the UK. The South has had time to play catch up which is why there are recycling bins all over the place and reasonably tidy streets.

Karen

kavenkoy

Message Posted:
24/04/2008 17:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

very true

we all remember "keep britain tidy" campaigns .

well thats all thats needed .may not take 30 years as more pressure now on recycling .

kav

andieb

Message Posted:
12/08/2008 16:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

I agree about the litter, we returned from Kyrenia last week, we stayed in a lovely apartment and all our neighbours were very friendly locals. The only thing that spoilt it was the litter lining the streets especially outside the surrounding apartments. It was a mess but we understand that the country is still getting on it's feet and I'm sure things will change in time. Having said that the main areas where a lot cleaner and the restaurants and toilet facilities we used were spotless. Had a great time and welcome there and can't wait to return.

rtddci

Message Posted:
12/08/2008 16:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

I can't agree that 'the TRNC is still a relatively young country' or '...is still getting on it's feet..' Neither reason is an excuse for the terrible litter, it's a disgrace and lets the country down. What signal does it send to (what little) tourists there are or what example does it set to the children?

Martin

PtePike

Message Posted:
12/08/2008 18:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

I agree with msg 6. The people don't have any pride in their country, but then again for half of them it isn't their country anyway. Education, fines and enforcement. The south is a cleaner Cyprus.

jakki

Message Posted:
12/08/2008 19:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

When we were in Cairo a couple of years ago - I pointed out to our personal guide the amount of litter - it was really bad, the canals were knee deep in rubbish. The guide told me this 'we are ashamed about the rubbish - but you know as a woman you are safe to walk around the streets of Cairo on your own' - I didn't know what to make of this really. I suppose it does have a moral stance.

Pipie

Message Posted:
12/08/2008 20:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Tatlisu is a lovely clean area .

mitsi

Message Posted:
14/08/2008 09:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Agree with all except that South was an utter tip, rubbish everywhere until they joined the EU.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.