North Cyprus Tourist Board - Advice on cost of living in the TRNC
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Advice on cost of living in the TRNC

Advice on cost of living in the TRNC

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Additional Costs in North Cyprus

jimbobbobbin

Message Posted:
29/09/2009 22:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Could you please advise me on the cost of living a modest existance in the TRNC. I am currently flogging a dead horse back in the UK. We have an house in Ozankoy but have never been able to stay there no longer than a fortnight at any one time. Thus have not got a clue how much it would cost if i lived there because all i do is pay out whilst i am there. I need advice on the cost for two people plus a small car please.

Thanks

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
29/09/2009 22:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

It is becoming more expensive to live in TRNC month by month. You don't say if you're working in UK...

You won't find work in TRNC to supplement your savings, so unless you have a pension, or independent means, TRNC is a 'No No' for you at present.

Unless you're prepared to live a pretty miserable existence, you'll need approx. £12 grand a year.

The car that would cost you £500 in UK will cost you £4-5k in TRNC - to bring one here is 'not wise' - you have no idea of the expense, hassle and bureaucracy involved!

You've already said: 'Thus have not got a clue how much it would cost if i lived there because all i do is pay out whilst i am there.' - you've not even 'scratched the surface', dear chap!

Yopu must have got some clue as to 'cost of living' from your visit(s) - check the inflation on your next visit and then carefully consider whether you can afford the move.

keithr

Message Posted:
29/09/2009 23:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

£12k sounds about right,it all depends on what lifestyle you choose as anywhere...

If you want to live the atypical expat lifestyle,then it will cost you more,meals out,drink,taxis etc...

girne

Message Posted:
30/09/2009 10:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

If you have kıds at least 15/20k a year!!!!!

sloan

Message Posted:
30/09/2009 10:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Do you estimate £12000 each or for a couple?

Smity

Message Posted:
30/09/2009 10:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Hi Jimbob

We like you live in the uk and have a place in Ozonkoy. we come out for at least 10 weeks a year so the saving on flights alone will cover our anual utilites and maintainance ( pool & Garden) about £1800, ( water, gas we have a 1000 ltr tank for C/H, electric, rates.(does not inclued car hire)

Food we spend on average £105 a week including wine and beer .

So 12K is a good figure but I think an average rise of 2-3% each year is possible and it they get in the EU god only knows.

But like many we are gonna move out there when we retire in about 8 years.

At home when something want looking at we do it as a matter of course like me when you come out something always wants replacing or repiaring but thats the same where ever you live.

Hope to meet you I day

Good luck MIke

Mike

Pipie

Message Posted:
30/09/2009 16:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Hi Jimbob .

We have a smaller property out in TRNC so cheaper to run than our 5 bed UK home , if we wanted a property on par with a UK home plus pool , we have estimated that we would save on community charge , but we have calculated our heating/aircon bills would be higher in TRNC so swings rounderbouts there . We have said that if we did move out to TRNC we would budget 14K PER YEAR and agree with Smitty budget 3/% annual increase inflation , and also remember to budget for your health scheme . Hope this helps !!

jimbobbobbin

Message Posted:
30/09/2009 21:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Tenakoutou, Iam currently working in the uk and class myself as very lucky.

Mike, 12K is around the figure i had in mind and i think it just may be achievable for us with a bit of luck with the intrest rates back in the UK.

Pipie, How much would i need to budget for an health scheme and which one is reasonable.

Thank you all for your responses

Jim

Pipie

Message Posted:
30/09/2009 22:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

jimbobbobbin .

Contact the British residents society in TRNC they can advise re health scheme .Hope this helps !!

jimbobbobbin

Message Posted:
30/09/2009 22:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Pipie,

Thanks i will, they never enter my head.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.