North Cyprus Tourist Board - Bar 11 Catalkoy......complaint
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Bar 11 Catalkoy......complaint

Bar 11 Catalkoy......complaint

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
26/04/2008 01:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 43 in Discussion

It is now 1am and finally Elvis has left the building.

As a neighbour we are are ignored by the ignorant owner of the bar who insists that he has a licence till 1am for entertainment. This I feel is very unfair on the neighbours who live closer than I do, 500 metres. For me it was unbareable and my complaints fell on deaf ears.

I ask any board members not partonise this establishment on evenings of entertainment, or if you do to leave the bar by 11.30pm so that the "late night" entertainment will not have an audience and we, as neighbours, can get some sleep.

A letter will be forwarded to the Muthar and Girne Belediye as well as the chief of Police showing our disapproval at the noise so close to family homes till such an hour.

We are not angry that they have entertainment, just that it goes on so late. 11.30pm is more than acceptable. The Fez do it, so why not Bar 11? Or is it just that London Turkish Cypriots don't care about their neighbours as long as money goes in the till?

So please, help us, the neighbours, to sleep at night. Some of us do have to work Saturday's, and lack of sleep doesn't make me a happy bunny!

li n lee

Message Posted:
26/04/2008 02:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 43 in Discussion

where is the bar situated?? if its late in the vacinty of our villa in catalkoy lisa will be kicking off???

billybob

Message Posted:
26/04/2008 06:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 43 in Discussion

TC ur Profile says u live esentepe it must b loud to hear it there

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
26/04/2008 08:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 43 in Discussion

Thanks for reminidng me Billybob, that error has now been corrected. Although if that racket continues then we'll be moving back to Esentepe.

Li n Lee,

Bar 11 is situated next to the Football Stadium on the main road. So those on the Aga Development Oz Homer Site, god help you, or were we just unlucky because the speakers pointed towards the area of The Fez, and the sound travels very well up the gently rising slope?

billybob

Message Posted:
26/04/2008 09:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 43 in Discussion

mebbee better you stayed esentepe eh ? quieter lol :0

ttoli

Message Posted:
26/04/2008 10:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 43 in Discussion

Sorry TC, I'm going to try and word this carefully, but the last thing we need is another ex-pat collecting names and complaining to the Muhtar, gaining the English the reputation of being whingers.

We live in THEIR country now and as such should accept that things are run a little different.

And YES, i do know what i'm talking about, I live near the Base Club (Closes at 4am!), Will it do me any good to complain?, NO !!, Will it have a negative impact the next time that I need something from the Muhtar?, Possibly........

but for now i'm content with a life in the sun, low crime rates and a far better quality of life.....

ukturk

Message Posted:
26/04/2008 10:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 43 in Discussion

hi tim

i personally thought a entertainment licence in residential areas are only till 12:00, i can understand your plight and it must really get on your nerves trying to get some sleep, at the weekend it is expected but during a weekday its not on, one thing thou i do take objection and offence to is your comments on london turkish cypriots!!!!! that ALL have got no respect and all they care about money this is a unfair comment painting all london turks with the same brush, where most if not all london turks are very respectfull!!!!!, i could say the same thing about brits that live in cyprus!!!!!

why dont you go and have a friendly chat (not complain)with this guy and explain the situation maybe go with a few other neighbous that are disturbed by the noise levels one thing i would say thou tim dont go in there ranting and raving like a bull in a china shop (did you do this already and this is why the owner is being stuborn) maybe that will get results because if you go to the muhtar or the coucil and nothing can be done this will only cause more of a rift between you and the owners

good luck

ukturk

Dixie Normus

Message Posted:
26/04/2008 10:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 43 in Discussion

Hey Mr Cadman, hang loose, I'm located by BAR 11 and dont hear a great deal, get a good dose of of old Gaza when he closes his eyes and whales the night away at the Fez though! I just get out the wife aids(ear defenders) and plug myself in. Summers coming, a bit of life in the place is well needed, BAR 11 and reckless Redge should be supported from Catalkoy residents the place needs a bit of life, get yer dancin legs out of the wardrobe, and put away the Victor Meldrew head or move to Esentepe.

D.N

wynyardman

Message Posted:
26/04/2008 10:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 43 in Discussion

Timothy,

We will gladly support your request when next in The TRNC. Very politely put!

Why can'T people just be reasonable?

wynyardman

Littlenige

Message Posted:
26/04/2008 10:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 43 in Discussion

did the bar open before or after you bought ?

the2ofus

Message Posted:
26/04/2008 10:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 43 in Discussion

Flippin 'eck - i thought he had left the Island not just the building !! Thought i was safe !!!

Every sympathy with you TC - don't frequent the place ourselves due to the atmosphere in there. Went in when it very first opened last year but couldn't get over the rufty tufty going on between owner and managers on the official opening !!!

They are not going to notice me not going in there but do agree with you.We like a good night out as much as anyone else but do respect others may be sleeping. Surprised they have licence until 1am when others in area have to turn music off by 12 (i think - maybe 11.30). Our local (not too far away from you) were visited by police last year for loud music following complaints by neighbours - they were made to switch off and warned about it happening again - that was much earlier than 1 am.

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
26/04/2008 15:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 43 in Discussion

Little Nige,

After we moved in.

No one in the area was even asked if they a late licence or an entertainment licence would cause any problems. There are no noise monitors to speak of that shut the music automatically should it get too loud, unlike the UK.

Dixie,

The Fez finishes all its entertainment by 11pm. 11.15pm at the latest. The bar itself is closed and locked by midnight. We have no problems with them and on occassion even support them with our patronage. We have not had any problems since we moved here. Why can't Bar 11 follow suite?

I would gladly get my dancing legs on but some people in the area work Saturdays, so Fridays is an inappropriate time to have such entertainment.

Maybe in the depths of December to March it may not be to much of an issue for us for their entertainment to go on late into the night, all our windows are closed and so the noise would not be heard. It is nice in summer to have fresh air to fill our rooms without the noise pollution.

I am far from a Victor Meldrew but if push comes to shove then I will fight fire with fire. If that means sitting outside the Bar 11 owners home with a 200 watt Ghetto-Blaster at 6am in the morning whilst they try to sleep and recover from the day before, then it will be done, and we will see how they like it.

So Bar 11, think of your neighbours, not just your pocket. We can be your best friends or your worst enemies. Make your music policy to finish by 11.30pm at the latest, please.

Tiggy

Message Posted:
26/04/2008 20:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 43 in Discussion

Timothy,

I for my sins work in "Noise and Nuisance" for the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelses which is a 24 hour service. Being doing this for 17 years. On a regular basis we deal and visit bars and clubs causing problems of Loud amplified music. (shift worker)

Erkan has given you some good advise and you need to speak to the owner/s along with others affected. May well be they have outside speakers that is causing the noise to travel half way across the Island. (would not be allowed in the UK) See if they can re-locate inside with reduced volume (bass is the main culprit) Ideally doors and windows should be kept closed to stop breakout. Ask to see his license that he alleges he can play music till 1am, if it does this does not mean that the surrounding neighbours have to put up with unacceptable noise. If it does'nt then remind him that if pressure is put on him by the Police etc then he will loose possibiily his license and also be affected through his till. (money talks) loud music is a magnate for people looking for a late drink and carry on in to the night, this may well be his way of attracting customers.

If he is any way a decent man then he should be invited in t o a home t o listen t o the din and see if he would like to have this on a regular basis.

As for your idea of using the ghetto blaster at 6am.....No,No.....your neighbours will just be finally getting to sleep and you will wake them up again!

Just ask him t o be reasonable as if you can hear it, then how loud is it in the bar. If not then get your neighbours together and approach the local Police.

All readers should take note that noise pollution is a big issue and if you want to play loud music at home, get a set of headphones and you can blast your eardrums as long as you like, without your neighbours having to put up what is in fact selfish behaviour.

You have all been warned!!!!

Tiggo.

P.S Good job this is not like Aya Nap.

pussycatuk

Message Posted:
26/04/2008 22:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 43 in Discussion

How old are you all ?

Tiggy

Message Posted:
26/04/2008 22:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 43 in Discussion

details are on the members information Claire.

Wondering why you want to know ?

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
26/04/2008 22:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 43 in Discussion

Pussycatuk,

I am 44 years old and about to reach my 45th on June 22nd.

I am not against discos, in fact I can be found at Shakers Bar most Saturdays, after we have finished at The Fez.

All we ask of Bar 11 is for the music not to be heard at a distance of 500 metres away from its source, and that the speakers, or/and stage are relocated so as not to point towards properties.

This they refuse to do. I was told, in no uncertain terms, that if I wanted to sleep, then I should go next door into the cemetery and join them and allow them to get on with their business of entertaining people. My reply was that the people next door may well one day pay them a visit as the racket they are making is more than enough to wake them from their eternal sleep. They were then given a letter, in English and Turkish, that has been sent to the Mayor of Girne, the Chief of Police and the Muthar of Catalkoy.

In the letter it politley asked them to think of their neighbours in this residential neighbourhood and any repeat of the noise that occured on 25th April 2008 would have local residents calling the Police for assistance and a report would be raised with the local Muthar and the Mayor of Girne on each occassion that the Police were called.

We are sure that the consequences for Bar 11 is that they would lose their late licence, assuming they have one as it was not forthcoming when asked. Or that future licences would not be granted or the present one resinded.

If they think we are going to take this lying down they have another thing coming.

Dusterbruce

Message Posted:
26/04/2008 23:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 43 in Discussion

I remember back in the 1980's someone opened a disco on the beach somewhere in Karaoglanoglu. It was an exterior venue so was summer only, but the din kept the whole of the village awake especially at weeksnds.

I seem to remember that people-power saw to it that the venue didn't stay open for long!

Lucky

Message Posted:
03/05/2008 22:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 43 in Discussion

Bar 11, Could you please respect your Neighbours and turn down the Music after midnight as we can not sleep, i have young kids who have too sleep, as they have school in the morning.

breezyboy

Message Posted:
04/05/2008 15:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 43 in Discussion

Well done Tiggy.

You have come out of the closet and admitted you are a local government officer. I knew you weren't really a virgin convertor!! lol

tufty

Message Posted:
05/05/2008 01:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 43 in Discussion

Timothy are you assuming that the owner of bar 11 is a London Turkish Cypriot or do you no this is a fact, i have found over the many years on this planet that making assumptions can hit you very hard in the pocket as your comment in the message could be classed as defamation of character i would hate to see what a high court judge would make of your remark and because you have put it in black an white you would have great difficulty in proving you didnt say it, i go along with ukturks comments i have befriended a lot of british turks let alone London turks and as yet have not met a bad one i am ashmed to say that i have met more dodgy brits on this island than any other race so lets not condem the locals we must remember that we are the foriengers

joalb

Message Posted:
05/05/2008 01:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 43 in Discussion

My family and myself live 300 metres from bar 11 i have to be up at 6 30 on a saturday with my children i dont have an issue with any undue noise from bar 11 in fact i am very happy it has opened due to the fact i do not have any form of transport so it is a god send for me and my children keep up the good work Reg

tufty

Message Posted:
05/05/2008 01:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 43 in Discussion

To TC

Iam very confused by the messages you have posted the timmings do not tally up you state quote It is now 1 am and Elvis has finally left the building un quote do you have a crystal ball in your top draw as you posted this message at 23 14 on 25/04/2008 do you posses some sort of physic power if so maybe you can give to the rest of us and myself the winner for next years national at the time you posted the message should you not have been in the Fez as it was 46 minutes before they locked up

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
05/05/2008 08:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 43 in Discussion

Tufty,

When I went to register my complaint to them I was introduced by a staff member to "the owner", who then went on to claim that "he was the owner, and was licenced until 1am to play music." These words were very clear. It was also clear from his London accent that he had spent many years in the UK and, in particular, the east London area.

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
05/05/2008 08:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 43 in Discussion

Tufty,

Times given on this board are GMT, or BST, times. So therefore, as I am in North Cyprus and 2 hours ahead of GMT or BST, my post timing of 23:14 was actaully 01:14 the next day

tufty

Message Posted:
06/05/2008 02:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 43 in Discussion

TC

I must apologise for my remarks made in message 22 i hadnt realised that this website was being run from the uk, with regard to your visit i am led to belive the first person you met was the head waiter who doesnt have a great comand of the english language but he does understand the F word which he doesnt like, i would not tolerate foul language as i take my partner and our children to the bar this is why he got the owner to speak with you, and yes they do have a 1am music license for Wednesday,Friday and Saturday and have a license to run the Tombola or as we no it Bingo on a Thursday to raise money for the football club as far as your geography goes the owner was raised in West London

tufty

Message Posted:
06/05/2008 02:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 43 in Discussion

sorry TC forgot to mention Reg puts on a mean birthday bash, maybe you could arrange a party at bar 11 and we could help you celebrate

Dunns

Message Posted:
06/05/2008 19:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 43 in Discussion

i went to bar 11 on Saturday and was pleasantly surprised by the place a nice pint of Carlsberg draft and a large shot of my favorite whiskey ( Jamesons ) was only 8 ytl i thought the nice waiter had made a mistake, i pay 12 for the same in Girne, and served with the drink was a bowl of nuts and a bowl of popcorn, i had one of the best t bone steaks i have had on the island with all the trimmings for 20ytl my compliments to the chief, and the music reminded me of the days in my early twenties going to the UK nightclubs 30 years ago they do a 5 minute request and gaurantee to play the song requested within 5 minutes of your request mine was 4 minutes 39 seconds they must have a vast music libary all i can say is dont knock it untill you have tried it

tufty

Message Posted:
08/05/2008 11:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 43 in Discussion

Tombola or bingo depending on where you come from at bar 11 tonight with 1750 ytl prize money up for grabs

jokers2theright

Message Posted:
08/05/2008 16:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 43 in Discussion

Now yes the waiter is the friendliest guy you could meet at Bar 11 - sweet as a nut !

jonty

Message Posted:
08/05/2008 22:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 43 in Discussion

come on timothy cadmad you are 45 and surely dont need to go to bed so early come and join the fun you might just like it.

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
09/05/2008 08:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 43 in Discussion

I do need to goto bed early. I have to work from 8.30am till 5.30pm on a Saturday. I don't have the luxury of being retired here anymore.

Retirement was the plan, but expenses shot up and income from interest on bank accounts was insufficient to live on, so we ended up dipping into the capital, so less interest, more capital, so in the end had to get a job.

So now I work 8.30am to 5.30pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and 8.30am till 1pm on Wednesday. All for the princely sum of 1060YTL per calendar month. But it's money coming in and that's what stops me selling up and downgrading my lifestyle back in the UK.

mmatt

Message Posted:
10/05/2008 14:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 43 in Discussion

TC i suggest that a more relaxed attitude might make it easier for you. You never know you might get offered a waiters job at Bar11 paying more than1060YTL

wynyardman

Message Posted:
10/05/2008 23:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 43 in Discussion

TC,

I find it difficult to believe that people are so inconsiderate to your plight.

Perhaps one of them would like to offer a small premium to the market value of your house to allow you to move to a quieter locale, as they clearly enjoy noise and nuisance until 1 am. in

the morning. (obviously don't have small children)

wynyardman

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
11/05/2008 09:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 43 in Discussion

wynyardman,

If anyone wishes to give me £150,000 cash-in-hand, then they can gladly have it. The title deed is in place. Completion will be within 2 weeks of a £2,000 deposit being received. No Estate Agents fees to find. The new buyer has a simple contract drawn up saying that they are the new owner and we will accompany their solicitor to the District Lands Office to sign the paperwork.

By the way, the house is 183m², 3/4 bedroom, with 10m x 5m pool, sitting in 980m² (3/4 Donum or 3 Evleks) of land. A bargain at £819 per m².

tufty

Message Posted:
11/05/2008 11:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 43 in Discussion

Elvis left the garden at 12 06 last night and the entertainment carried on inside untill the we small hours is that not a case of caring about the neighbours

wackyjim

Message Posted:
11/05/2008 11:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 43 in Discussion

TC

Have to say i have some sympathy with you on this one.. There is nothing worse if you are deprived of sleep due to pub/disco noise on a regular basis, especially when you come so far to live the dream for it to be ruined by something that disturbs you in the way it obviously does. Its all very well people saying it finishes at such and such a time but they may only visit now and then whereas you live there 24/7 . Possibly the thing that stressed me out most of all( not where you are) was lying in bed waiting for it all to start... that was probably worse than the noise itself.

The fact you are prepared to sell your villa says it all.... not very funny!!!!

Regards

Jim.

Infinity

Message Posted:
11/05/2008 11:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 43 in Discussion

Wheteher bar 11 ıs LonTC owned or other, the fact that flıghts to TRNC are dıffıcult and exspensıve has made thıs sıde of the Island a tad elıtıst and the unıon jack short wearıng, tatooed f wıgs have contınued to blıght our neıghbours, however over recent years I am sorry to say that we now seem to have a east/west Gırne dıvıde. the orıgınal expats ıf you lıke frequent the West whıle the new comers the East, In the west you wıll be lucky to fınd a bar open after 11.30 let alone some hıdeous musıc blarıng out, thıs has been proven as all the regular musıcıans, Elvıs, KatyB et al now ply theır trade on the Eastsıde, not to be deemed snobısh, but the Eastsıde has truly reeped what ıt has sowed.

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
11/05/2008 12:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 43 in Discussion

Yes Tufty, it was very good of Elvis to leave the building just after midnight. If he could leave 36 minutes earlier we would be exstatic, or the entertainment going on indoors and not on the stage in the garden.

We don't want there not to be entertainment, just not till late. Is it really to much to ask, especially on Friday's when some neighbours need to get up for work on Saturday?

cleos

Message Posted:
11/05/2008 15:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 43 in Discussion

Infinity

I see that you only joined this forum yesterday (10/05/2008) and that you have hidden much of your member details so i do not know which area you are living in TRNC but, i may be wrong, i am guessing by your post that you are West of Girne.

Perhaps you do not recieve the Cyprus Today wherever it is you live. I suggest you look at some of the adverts in there re "the regular musicians , Elvis, Katy B et al now ply their trade on the Eastside " - i take it is such "regular musicians are some of those that you refer to by "some hideous music blaring out"

Yesterday Cyprus Today advertises the following ;

Katie B will be appearing in the following ;

Every Tuesday - Cousins - Edremit - West side i believe

Every Weds - Jashans - Karaoglanoglu - West side i believe

Every Sat - Green Hol Village - Alsancak - West side i believe

Elvis will be appearing in the following:

Every Friday - Friends Hotel - Alsancak -West isn't it

Sun May 11- Club Simena - Karsiyaka - West also

Then we have Sams Place in Alsancak who has Kerry every Friday and Cousins in Edremit who will have Brian Delaney every Saturday - both West side.

These are just the ones advertised in this weeks newspaper.

It is bad enough having a split island and having to hear biggoted uninformed elitist views from British people (amongst others) who favour the GC version of events LET alone a split amongst Ex-pats (wherever we may live East or West ) based on similarly obtained misconceptions about either the East or the West side.

At the end of the day we are all ex pats living here in TRNC.

Infinity - If you do come from the West side - enjoy the "hideous music blaring out" ! Cos it starts tonight at Club Simena with Elvis .

wackyjim

Message Posted:
11/05/2008 16:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 43 in Discussion

Cleos

Having a villa in Alsancak I agree we have the same problems as anyone else on the Island....mind you being labelled elitist, snobbish etc sounds quite good, a bit like "To the Manor Born" don't you think???

Jim.

cleos

Message Posted:
11/05/2008 17:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 43 in Discussion

wackyjim

Ah - see - I fink (sometimes !!) you is wrong mate -its "mana" innit !!! .

At the end of the day like you say does it really matter East/West -i am sure none of us would like to listen to loud music late of a night (original post ) on a regular basis - sure many of us came here to get away from hustle and bustle (and noise) of UK. Its still darn sight better here anyway.

Must dash - toodle pip.

wackyjim

Message Posted:
11/05/2008 18:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 43 in Discussion

Absolutely old boy!!! or is it girl??

Dixie Normus

Message Posted:
11/05/2008 19:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 43 in Discussion

yeh man, I tink dis infiermary geeza is a taken de pees, musta bin wana de bruvas from de smoke from de 74 evacuation livin on de benifeets den comin back to claim es grandads land, now livin in de tin shack wif de merc at de dor de sovrin rings an de chains, feedin de coruption man,

Wise up DR B'stard.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.