North Cyprus Tourist Board - A New Poison has arrived in South Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > A New Poison has arrived in South Cyprus

A New Poison has arrived in South Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

Mindy

Message Posted:
08/10/2009 00:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 5 in Discussion

A lethal poison that has been banned in over 50 countries has arrived in South of Cyprus. The name is:

CARBOFURAN, which is used to control insects in a wide variety of crops. Aside from killing animals, this poison can also kill humans. A quarter teaspoon (1ml) can be fatal. A single grain will kill a bird, which will often mistake it for seeds. In Kenya farmers are using Carbofuran to kill lions and other predators.

It has been found on a beach in Paphos and has killed 3 dogs and 3 other poisonings. It looks like gunpowder and can also be obtained in gel form. It kills faster than Lanate, often in less than 10 minutes.

A vet in S. Cyprus is asking people to carry first aid kits for their pets and muzzles seems the only option. wonder how long before some sick iperson uses it here in the North.

newlad

Message Posted:
08/10/2009 00:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg_4iqewdwk

malsancak

Message Posted:
08/10/2009 09:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

What makes it even worse is that carbofuran in most cases is only banned if used on food crops. In other words it's legal for other uses in most places including the US and EU, I believe, or at least I cannot find any evidence of a complete ban only intentions to ban it.

Mal

kiwikid

Message Posted:
08/10/2009 13:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

Was listening to a radio news broadcast from the south side the other day, it said that over 10,000 dogs and cats are poisoned each year in cyprus, I guess they ment the south as I don;t think they would have figures for here.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
08/10/2009 20:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 5 in Discussion

I was an orchardist in New Zealand, so I have a fair knowledge of agricultural chemicals - I can tell you, unequivocably, that (RoC) Cyprus is a 'dumping ground' for banned chemicals. They are still using stuff like 'Parathion', arsenate of lead - you name it!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.