North Cyprus Tourist Board - Working in the South and Living in the North?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Working in the South and Living in the North?

Working in the South and Living in the North?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

linuxcyprus

Message Posted:
14/10/2009 10:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Hi

Is there anyone currently living in the north and working in the south ?

If yes - did you need to get a work permit to work in the south ?

Thanks

Brinsley

Message Posted:
14/10/2009 10:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

The South is in the EU, so on an EU passport no work permit needed.

Richard

Arek Naw

Message Posted:
14/10/2009 10:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Yes and no. EU citizens have the RIGHT to work in any other member state. You may have to register for social insurance, income tax etc but you do NOT need a work permit.

linuxcyprus

Message Posted:
14/10/2009 11:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Thanks appreciate the info.

So assume I have to register in the south - so i can get my social insurance # etc.. ?

Cheers

Brinsley

Message Posted:
14/10/2009 11:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Go to http://www.dh.gov.uk/travellers or http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk and get yourself a medical card.

Richard

Aslan

Message Posted:
15/10/2009 09:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Up until last month the ROC administration advised the ROC ministry of labour that under no circumstances can an EU citizen residing in the "occupied areas" work in the ROC, after a complaint to the EU ombudsman and there investigation the ROC have changed there policy on EU citizens in the "occupied areas" allowing them/us to work freely in that particular EU member state! ironically the reason given for not allowing us to work in the ROC was our lack of address and contact details which the EU thought a tad strange bearing in mind the ROC claim to own the whole island!

elko2

Message Posted:
15/10/2009 09:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

msg. 6

Aslan wrote: "Up until last month the ROC administration advised the ROC ministry of labour ......."

I am confused here. Was this the situation like this until last month or did it become like this after last month i.e. what is the current position? There must be thousands of Turkish Cypriot workers working in the south but living in the north, so what is the position there?

ismet

http://www.elkocyprus.com

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
15/10/2009 10:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

LinuxCyprus

re msg 1

Welcome to the forum

*I* wanted to live in the 'north' and work in the 'south' - if there had been a YES/ YES result to Annan in Apr '04

For SURE the RoC might have made it 'difficult'.. but as many TCs come 'south' every day ( and they are EU citizens) ..

What no-one has ever been able to help me with - and I KEEP asking - is what happens re:

1/ Taxation/ Social insurance - If a TC works in the 'south' do they pay this TWICE?

2/ 'Residency' in the 'north' - would this be this as a 'worker'?

It is a doddle.. now.. to register as an EU citizen.. you make an appt at the immigration dept.. register for social insurance and go along to the immigration with you completed form and 'NI' number, pay (approx) 8 Euros and you're done..

Arek Naw

Message Posted:
15/10/2009 10:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

mmmmmm,

1. Only if working in TRNC. Unlike RoC, not taxed on worldwide income

2. Visitor

Aslan

Message Posted:
15/10/2009 10:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Hi Ismet, sorry for the confusion, "up until last month........." meaing previously the ROC administration had advised the ministry of labour, EU citizen in this case means all EU citizens living in the "occupied areas" , the exception to this rule are TRNC citizens, and non-EU citizens.

As I made the initial complaint I have all the correspondence from the EU and the ROC I will make up a pdf pack and email it to you if you would like.

The second complaint made is in the process of investigation, that is the ROC administration not allowing EU citizens living in the "occupied areas" to drive in the EU member state using a valid driving licence issued by the TRNC authorities/ministry of transport, but allowing Turkish Cypriots to drive with said licence, blatant provocation and racism from the ROC again!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.