North Cyprus Tourist Board - How can Turkey join the EU without opening its ports?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > How can Turkey join the EU without opening its ports?

How can Turkey join the EU without opening its ports?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus History

malsancak

Message Posted:
16/10/2009 10:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 22 in Discussion

Discussion of this critical issue, in the light of the EC's report issued on Wednesday, can be found at http://www.northcyprusfreepress.com

Mal

Corbo

Message Posted:
16/10/2009 10:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 22 in Discussion

If Turley joins the EU..and I hope it does, this port decision will have to change. Sorted..simples!

malsancak

Message Posted:
16/10/2009 10:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 22 in Discussion

Corbo do you mean, open up the ports get into the EU and then close the ports? Brilliant, are you a politician?

Mal

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
16/10/2009 11:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 22 in Discussion

re msg 3

Well, that will be another reader less.. does your acerbic 'wit' know no bounds..?

Corbo

Message Posted:
16/10/2009 12:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 22 in Discussion

No really Mal..I meant open the ports once EU membership has been agreed and then keep them open..I despise most politicians..maybe too strong a word..I'm cynical about them.

malsancak

Message Posted:
16/10/2009 13:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 22 in Discussion

msg 5, corbo said "I despise most politicians..maybe too strong a word"

I don't think so

msg 4, M6 said, "does your acerbic 'wit' know no bounds?"

It's as boundless as your proclivitous propensity to post

Mal

spondoolics

Message Posted:
16/10/2009 16:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 22 in Discussion

Unfortunately Turkey will not open its ports. The EU will not enforce sanctions on a Country that is an absolute God send as a friend in the Middle East. Europe will depend on future energy supplies via Turkey to combat possible future supply problems from Russia. RoC has absoulutely no sanctions to impose or threaten Turkey with, it is a very small fish in a barrel of the self serving Political elite of EU Countries. EU may threaten or cajole, RoC will demand sanctions and legal expedience, as laid down by Legal reuirements as an EU country. Turkey holds the whip hand, no doubt whatsoever. Rightly or wrongly, they will be the winners when it all ends. They will join EU on their terms, or turn East and be the biggest economy in the Middle East.

Bill

malsancak

Message Posted:
16/10/2009 16:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 22 in Discussion

msg 7, spondoolics is right and I believe that it's all bluster by EU and if Turkey showed any real signs of going elsewhere then the requirements would somehow become less essential. The real negotiations are going on behind closed doors and I believe that Turkey is being told that they will be accepted once the major objections become irrelevant compared to the benefits of having Turkey in.

Mal

exnavalperson

Message Posted:
16/10/2009 17:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 22 in Discussion

Turkey has no intention of joining the E.U. so the question of it opening its' ports is academic

winslow

Message Posted:
16/10/2009 22:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 22 in Discussion

As a T/C rightly or wrongly we are skeptical of RoC. Forget the politicans it is in their interest they are paid to sit in parliment and argue. Ordinary citizens have memories especially the older sections of both communities and are against unification. They have deep mistrust, difficult to plicate prefering the status quo. Understand no G/C will ever live amongst us. Proof is rejecting the Annan plan. Even if tommorrow deeds were given back they would sell they are afraid of Turkish soldiers. T/C have always experienced prejudice by G/C institutons it would be pointless for T/C to live in RoC. Yes the ports issue was signed but Turkey and T/c also agreed the Annan plan and were disappionted when RoC was allowed into Europe even when G/C voted against unification. Many dynamics are in play regarding unification. İ have nothing against G/C although they believe they are superior wanting total governance like before. İ prefer the way things are. Unification in my mind is a pan

Corbo

Message Posted:
17/10/2009 00:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 22 in Discussion

Turkey has no intention of joining the E.U. so the question of it opening its' ports is academic

News to me..I thought they had applied many times but have as yet not fulfilled the criteria for entry.

Corbo

Message Posted:
17/10/2009 00:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 22 in Discussion

Reading up on it just now I see Turkish President Abdullah Gul is cynical about joining now but previous regimes have been keen to join.

spondoolics

Message Posted:
18/10/2009 13:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 22 in Discussion

Please see message 7. I am not a cut and paste man. I now rest my case. EU commissioner dismisses Greek Cyprus demand for sanctions on Turkey

http://www.chinaview.cn 2009-10-16 23:54:15

NICOSIA, Oct. 16 (Xinhua) -- The European Union commissioner for enlargement has dismissed a Greek Cyprus demand for further sanctions on Turkey for failing to normalize relations with the island, Cypriot media reported from Brussels on Friday.

Local media quoted Commissioner Olli Rehn's spokesman as saying that a window of opportunity to solve the problem was still open and calling both the Greek and Turkish Cypriot leaders to push their talks on to a settlement.

Greek Cyprus, a member of the European Union since 2004, has expressed disappointment that the European Commission has not recommended sanctions on Turkey for failing to open its ports and airports to Cypriot ships and aircraft.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
18/10/2009 14:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 22 in Discussion

re msg 8 malsancak

>>It's as boundless as your proclivitous propensity to post <<

But I ain't spamming or misquoting newspaper headlines.. ;)

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
18/10/2009 14:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 22 in Discussion

re msg 7 Spondoolics

>>he EU will not enforce sanctions on a Country that is an absolute God send as a friend in the Middle East.<<

and suspending chapters on accession talks is NOT a form of 'sanction' ?..

>>Europe will depend on future energy supplies via Turkey to combat possible future supply problems from Russia.<<

..and you think if Russian decided to be 'awkward' the gas would still flow from former satellites?

>>Turkey holds the whip hand, no doubt whatsoever.<<

Au contraire, Germany and France, Austria and NL - to name but a few countries - have now seen how TR can ' behave ' when she doesn't 'get her way' .. THIS is NOT a good thing for the eastern med.

>>They will be the winners when it all ends. They will join EU on their terms, or turn East and be the biggest economy in the Middle East. <<

I believe Russia hold more card than TR does - or ever will do .. I don't see us asking THEM to join the EU ;)

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
18/10/2009 14:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 22 in Discussion

re msg 13

This window was supposed to have a 'new mechanism' (fitted by TR) a long time ago.. if it closes.. it will be TR's 'fault' and the "rump" RoC will not need to talk of Vetos..

France, etc., will do the dirty deed.

Q: WHY sign a contract and renege on it? That's EXACTLY what TR have done.. the "rump" RoC were already EU members.

girne 29

Message Posted:
18/10/2009 14:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 22 in Discussion

Mal

You could also have a thread ".How can Greek cyps vote no to Annan plan and still prevent TRNC getting Aid."

There was no intention by Turkey to mislead.If the EU didnt like it then they should have told Turkey at the time that the Protocol was invalid.However at the time EU was not at all happy with Papa

'July 2005, Turkey signed a protocol extending its customs union to the EU-10 states, but at the same time Ankara issued a declaration saying that its signature did not mean its recognition of the Republic of Cyprus. Turkey also refused to open its ports and airports to Cyprus.'

As for agreements being obstructed http://fpc.org.uk/articles/322

winslow

Message Posted:
19/10/2009 01:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 22 in Discussion

Unification will open a pandoras box as İ have mentioned G/C will never live amongst T/C. Many of you that post are ex-pats the only way İ can make you understand is İreland. İt is wonderful there is peace there. İn Northern İreland there is no border there are zones or areas ie;Shankill road, Londondery yet catholics and protestants are still divided retaining their taboos. İ suppose the perception is the border will disappear here and communities will merge over time. The problem is we have seperate identites just like İreland. Religıon, language,culture etc.. these don't disappear with the lifting of a border. Neither do memories. İt needs total consensus to forget the past and move forward it would be nice. Politcians and sections of both sides are trying to create a new road to a cyutopia sadly İ just do not think it possible. Many who İ have spoken to just do not think it possible and don't want it perhaps a border and t

winslow

Message Posted:
19/10/2009 01:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 22 in Discussion

just to finish a border and two soveriegn states in the long run is the only solution.

AlexF065

Message Posted:
19/10/2009 04:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 22 in Discussion

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

I have read many of these threads on these boards you seem on the face of things to be a GC sympathiser so why on earth did you buy a property in the North??

There are enough properties up for sale in the south and you could have quite happily lived among folk of a like mind to your own

malsancak

Message Posted:
19/10/2009 08:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 22 in Discussion

msg 14, m6 rifled his brain and struggled with "but I ain't spamming or misquoting newspaper headlines.. ;)"

and you ain't making much sense either.

msg 20, AlexF065 asked Msx a hard question,"you seem on the face of things to be a GC sympathiser so why on earth did you buy a property in the North??"

Did you have the map upside down?

Mal

Editor http://www.northcyprusfreepress.com (oh no, MT might think that's spam!)

spondoolics

Message Posted:
19/10/2009 15:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 22 in Discussion

M to the power of 6; You usually put up a good concise argument with neutral views. The only point you have raised that is worth revisiting is "Quote" :and suspending chapters on accession talks is NOT a form of 'sanction' ?..:

These suspensions mean nothing to Turkey. RoC, which doesnt exist by the way, has cried out for more sanctions. EU has said, not a chance. Talks will continue without any agreements to the main problems, Immigration, Property, Government and ex pat appropriation of Greek Cypriot properties etc.

It does not give me any pleasure to see TC and GC being maligned and divided by a 35 year old fall out. The final outcome will be a divided Island and Turkey in the EU if she chooses to be. I think you underestimate the position held by Turkey as an Energy Gateway to Europe.

Keep up the informative inputs, and I like your non belligerant or confrontational attitude.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.