North Cyprus Tourist Board - turkish cemeteries in the south
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > turkish cemeteries in the south

turkish cemeteries in the south

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

MUSIN M

Message Posted:
16/10/2009 17:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

i have been watching a programme on ada tv about turkish villages left on the south of the island

they have visited the cemeteries ,and have discovered that the graves have mostly disappeared

and very few remain ,this has only occurred in the last year and in some cases as recently as a few

months ago,in the village karaagac where there were almost 400 graves spanning over a hundred

years and are left with only a dozen or so .

is this yet another indication of partition ,after all what,s left for us tc,s to return too.

musin

long live the kktc

MartinM

Message Posted:
16/10/2009 17:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

You mean like the great shape we leave the Greek Cypriot cemetries in the North?

Oleander

Message Posted:
16/10/2009 19:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

Old Turkish Cemetery opposite the Kition Salt Lake in Makenzy Larnaca, regularly attended to and still being used.

Go and see for yourself is my advice - on BOTH sides!

MUSIN M

Message Posted:
16/10/2009 20:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

martin m and oleander

two wrongs do not make a right ,but that,s the kind of mentality you guys have .

oleander ,why don,t you go and see ,i have lot,s of family graves on the south ,most of which

have disappeared .

musin

long live the kktc

Teresa

Message Posted:
16/10/2009 21:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

Musin i was talking to a friend of ours and she was telling us that the cemetary that her dad was buried in over the South was bulldozed a few years ago, We have a Greek Cypriot cemetary in Karsiyaka that is locked, i have seen Greek Cypriot cars there and the gates open so i assume they have keys to come and go when they wish.

Oleander

Message Posted:
16/10/2009 21:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

"oleander ,why don,t you go and see ,i have lot,s of family graves on the south ,most of which"

I have been to see for myself. I regularly go feed the two big dogs that live inside the cemetery walls.

I have also seen GC churches in the north that are maintained well (but listened to GCs moaning that they were ALL destroyed).

Some of the Mosques in the RoC are kept in pristine condition. Have to say I've seen plenty of GC churches left to fall into decay or appear to have been destroyed in the North.

I've spent most of the past year touring round and round the whole island. Done all of the coastline and most of the towns and villages too. I am in the TRNC every week.

MUSIN M

Message Posted:
16/10/2009 21:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

oleander

i am not here to discuss tit for tat with you .

musin

long live the kktc

Oleander

Message Posted:
16/10/2009 22:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

Nor me. It isn't tit for tat. It is plain statements of what I've seen with my own eyes on both sides this past year, spent touring round the whole of the island. How much of the RoC and how many old Turkish cemeteries have you visited personally?

As I said, I've spoken with GCs whove never been north in their lives and they are convinced all the churches over there have been desecrated, pillaged and trashed. If they bothered to go and look, they would see that is not the case.

MartinM

Message Posted:
21/10/2009 10:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

So sorry to disabuse you MUSIN M of your belief that in my opinion two wrongs make aright. They most certainly do not. But please do not paint the Turkish Cypriots as whiter than white. You have only to look at some of the Greek cemetries in the North to see they were abused and left abused. Many Turkish Cypriots would want their cemetries in the South respected for what they are. Has it occurred to anyone that respect is earned!!.Perhaps if WE as Turkish Cypriots started to care for the cemetries and other religious places of the Greek Cypriots THEN we could expect the same treatment of our religious places in the South.

So MUSIN M, ready to organise a clean up of some Greek Cypriot cemetries in the Kyrenia area? Do so and I promise to join you.

Rottolover

Message Posted:
21/10/2009 11:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

Nice posts Oleander and MartinM...you both sound like reasonable and rational people.

You both talk a lot of sense.

Tiggy

Message Posted:
21/10/2009 11:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

In Iskele, a small chapel on the small roundabout is used as the "Tourist info centre" paintings and wood carvings of the orthodox faith have been kept and look beautiful. Just down the road an orthodox church is a museum and all inside has been kept in the best condition possible. This is in an area that the majority of TC's were relocated from Larnaca. Respect of the GC religion has been upheld.

Idiots on both sides in the past have done wrong but it is a very small minority.

In Britain grave stones are vandalised on a daily basis by numpties that know no better.

MartinM

Message Posted:
21/10/2009 11:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

Thank you Rottolover, and yes I agree with you Tiggy, that some of the Greek Cypriot places of worship are in great condition and really being put to good use, both as Tourist Attractions and Community Centres.

However there are still a number of cemetries and churches that are painfully abused or neglected. We as Turkish Cypriots should look after or maintain these places not only as a sign of respect for the dead, which we would like our Greek cousins in the South to do, but also as a sign of respect for ourselves and to show that WE care.

Moaning about how the "Others" are desecrating our religious places and not showing that respect ourselves............ well .Nuff said!

Maz

Message Posted:
21/10/2009 17:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

Surely the main message of religion is 'forgiveness' and I think that Stephen Day in his column in Cyprus Today, hit that nail well and truly on the head! Atrocities have been committed on both sides, as during the 2nd World War, but going tit for tat solves nothing. I have seen maintained and descrated cemeteries both sides of the Green Line and moaning about it changes nothing.

We all need to forgive everyone who gets caught up in hatred and revenge, and they did it too, maybe this island could go forwards instead of slipping back into unproductive hatred.

Amen, brothers!

LondonCypriot

Message Posted:
21/10/2009 17:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

At least the houses in North remain, while Turkish Cypriot properties in the South have been demolished,

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.