North Cyprus Tourist Board - At what age should a child start school
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > At what age should a child start school

At what age should a child start school

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Schools Posts

Lilli

Message Posted:
17/10/2009 16:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 22 in Discussion

The UK government has now proposed for children to start school at age 6 instead of 5 . Do you think this is a ploy to cut teachers jobs. Do you think the year will make a difference to the child.

smithy

Message Posted:
17/10/2009 16:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 22 in Discussion

I think the earlier the better, the first 5 years is when their little brains take in more

No way should it be 6 I started school at 4 and I was ready for it (so I was told)

Vidal

Message Posted:
17/10/2009 16:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 22 in Discussion

Knowing this government, I would say yes Lilli. There was some research done some time ago comparing the development of children in Sweden I think it was. They start school much later than our kids but by the time they are eight they are at the same point with their three 'R's

The Scandinavians believe the childs physiological development is better having spent that extra time with mum.

In the UK poor mum has probably had to go back to work already! So for some UK kiddy, is it just another year of being at play school or with child minders??

Yellowbelly

Message Posted:
17/10/2009 16:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 22 in Discussion

Can I just correct your facts here please Lili:

It isn't a Government proposal, it is a study carried out by Cambridge University. The findings, despite having the backing of the National Union of Teachers, have, in fact, been rejected by the Government.

Christine Blower, General Secretary of the National Union of Teachers, said: "It is absolutely extraordinary that the government has decided to ignore the Cambridge Review recommendations."

Lilli

Message Posted:
17/10/2009 16:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 22 in Discussion

Thank you yellowbelly. Trust me.Thank you for clearing it up only I was watching a debate and an Mp asked what age children shouold take exams and about the entrance at 6 came up so I assumed that it was the government not the study carried out.

Jeannie

Message Posted:
17/10/2009 17:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 22 in Discussion

Most of my generation started school at around age 5 (actually I was three months shy of my fifth birthday). I spent the time up till then with my mum looking after me. I could recite the alphabet and read (apparently) before I started school. The point I'm getting at here is that I believe very few of my generation left school being illiterate or innumerate - unlike today. A record number of teenagers are leaving school not being able to read even basic things. I can't see that raising the school entry age to 6 is going to help matters?

It does make me wonder what the hell teachers are teaching kids in schools these days - before anyone says anything, I am not blaming the teachers - I wouldn't do their job for all the tea in China.

J

adagirl

Message Posted:
17/10/2009 17:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 22 in Discussion

Having a late December birthday, and the school year beginning in September, I was always one of the oldest in my class. I can honestly say it didnt have any effect on me!! BUT, if a starting age of 6 is proposed, some of those children will be nearly 7 before they start school, and unless enrolled in a pre-school which actully teaches rather than "childminding" then I think that an almost 7 year old suddenly thrust into the system may cause problems.

ROBnJO

Message Posted:
17/10/2009 19:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 22 in Discussion

Personally I think children should be sent to Boarding School at age 1.

Thus enabling parents to use their nights more enjoyably for eating, drinking, sex and sleep!

In whatever order!

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
17/10/2009 19:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 22 in Discussion

We had a Turkish girl aged 11 staying with us in the UK she had been to stay with her grandparents in Ireland for a month and had been to school, she started school at 7 she was in a class of 11 year olds in Ireland, the Maths to her were a doddle because she had done the same maths last year in Turkey.

Jeannie

Message Posted:
17/10/2009 19:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 22 in Discussion

ROBnJO - that's the idea - toughen 'em up a bit, too

J

Lilli

Message Posted:
17/10/2009 23:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 22 in Discussion

My father was in the army so i had many different schools around the world. When ever I wert back to tjhe UK and placed in my year. I was always too bright that gave mes of problems My Army education gave me and made me what I am xxxxxxxxxxxx

Aysesdaddy

Message Posted:
18/10/2009 15:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 22 in Discussion

Ayse started school when she was 4 and 3days old (birthday 29th August) It never did her any harm, she is 14 now and thankfully still enjoys school. I think 4/5 is the right age.

negativenick

Message Posted:
18/10/2009 15:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 22 in Discussion

i think 7....

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
18/10/2009 15:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 22 in Discussion

msge 3

Vidal, I resonate with your comments. And just to add it does very much depend on the type of schooling. Testing and asking the kids to achieve grades at an early age, I believe to be damaging, perhaps with the kids reatining more narcisism than they should.

My encounters with Scandinavians lead me to believe that they are far more emotionally mature than us Brits. Many of them speak English as well as we do. I think we could learn allot from Scandinavians, not just in schooling.

Blackpoolfan

Message Posted:
18/10/2009 18:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 22 in Discussion

I think children should start nursery school early and be integrated into primary school from the age of 6. One point everyone is missing for example i am a school governor and my wife a teacher the stats suggest that 60% of children starting school cannot hold a knife and fork, write their own name, or toilet themselves !!!!!!!

Why is this because the parents cant be Bothered no social skills are being taught kids are left to their own devices or play stations and the parents that have made the effort with their own kids ie reading with them, playing with them etc have their own childs development slowed down while all the other kids play catch up..................

Lilli

Message Posted:
18/10/2009 23:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 22 in Discussion

Blackpool that is so sad we should educate the so called parents. How the hell the can afford all that beggers belief xxxxxxxxx

Raman

Message Posted:
19/10/2009 00:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 22 in Discussion

The University's findings actually seem to be at odds with the Govt's own recent review as reported in the Daily Mail in May this year, which actually proposed lowering the starting age to 4 from 2011. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1175338/All-year-olds-free-start-school-September--summer-babies.html

Brinsley

Message Posted:
19/10/2009 00:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 22 in Discussion

I'm still a child, where shall I begin or start?

Richard

Lilli

Message Posted:
19/10/2009 00:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 22 in Discussion

Brins we all find the child within us eventally . Now start in the middle xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Oleander

Message Posted:
19/10/2009 00:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 22 in Discussion

Around the age of 7. Brits send babies to school. Most of them have to do a 'Nursery Year' before going into the reception class. German kids used to start school much later (don't know if they still do) and still outshine their Brit counterparts very quickly.

Jeannie

Message Posted:
19/10/2009 02:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 22 in Discussion

Message 15 - Blackpoolfan

My son started 'play school' (which was private and paid for, since there were no state run nurseries in our area at that time) three afternoons a week, from aged 3. The main criteria for starting was that he had to have been toilet trained. It never ceases to amaze me that children start primary education (5 ish) who cannot go to the toilet unaided,cannot use a knife and fork and have no social skills whatsoever. Parents seem to think this is the schools' 'job'. I think, perhaps, that Scandinavian countries and several other European countries possibly have better facilities that enable mothers to stay and home with their children for longer and teach them these skills within the home. Although what the Welfare State in the UK would make of this is anyone's guess. I recently heard, in the street, a young mother bragging to her friends that her son (who had obviously just started school) had stopped swearing. I give up.

AlexF065

Message Posted:
19/10/2009 04:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 22 in Discussion

I think that "play" groups are a waste of time But do think that a pre school group is good

I base this on my family members.

One Great-nephew went to a playgroup and the other Great-nephew went to a Montessori pre school nursery the diffrence between then was and continues to be astounding

Playgroup did not get into either of the local grammer schools Montessori had the choice of all three their Fathers are brothers one is a carpenter his wife is a hair dresser the other is a futures dealer and his wife was a receptionist neither of my nephews were any great shakes at school themselves while at the same time not stupid

I just feel it was the differing educational starts they both attended the same primary school 2 yrs apart

while one seemed to be learning small things the other was "Playing"

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.