North Cyprus Tourist Board - (cyprus political) outrageous, surely cant be true
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > (cyprus political) outrageous, surely cant be true

(cyprus political) outrageous, surely cant be true

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
25/10/2009 10:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 19 in Discussion

Todays Cyprus Mail

"Erdogan yesterday made a counter-proposal of “a four-way dialogue” in a speech he gave to the Fourth plenary session of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Mediterranean, which opened in Istanbul. The dialogue would most likely involve the two sides in Cyprus plus Turkey and Greece.

AKEL leader Andros Kyprianou yesterday rejected Erdogan’s proposal, saying that Turkey’s often-stated position of including Turkish Cypriot representatives in formal talks “has not been accepted nor is likely to be accepted by our side, for the simple reason that the Turkish Cypriot community cannot be treated on an equal basis with the Republic of Cyprus”.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
25/10/2009 10:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 19 in Discussion

This seems like an extremely good idea, getting the four sides in the room to bash out a solution.

It's hard to believe that we are a year in to the negotiations and an AKEL leader is basically saying the TC's are inferior to us. The TC's have to pull out of the negotiations. It's just not going to work.

MUSIN M

Message Posted:
25/10/2009 10:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 19 in Discussion

mark

ask any t/c about the talks and you will not get an answer ,just a smile.

they mean nothing ,while they sit and talk of unification the g/cs carry on securing the south

tens of thousands of deeds have been issued too the g/cs by their government on land and

properties which belong to the t/cs ,lets not ask them to justify ,or else the talks may fail .

next time you get a smile from us ,that,s why.

musin

long live the kktc

Mandy

Message Posted:
25/10/2009 12:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 19 in Discussion

Certainly any Turkish Cypriots I speak to seem to believe the talks will come to nothing, and are happy about that !

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
25/10/2009 12:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 19 in Discussion

This once again demonstrates that the GCs still see the Cyprob and any solution in terms of legalities.

The UN, UK and the EU have all said that it is no such thing, rather it is a political problem that needs a political solution.

It is interesting to note that although the GCs have acknowleded the problem must be solved by Cypriots, at this point they would rather deal with a third party.

girne 29

Message Posted:
25/10/2009 13:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 19 in Discussion

ilovecyprus

' Turkish Cypriot community cannot be treated on an equal basis with the Republic of Cyprus”.

Have the TRNC press picked up and printed the above statement.? Just to inform people in the TC's of their status.?

So is that the basis on which Talat ,a Turkish Cypriot,is supposed to be negotiating on.

Cyprus is split between GC and TC and that is who the negotiations are really between,

TRNC and ROC are just names ,not people. If the GC's of the ROC feel they cannot treat the TC's of the TRNC as equals, if just for the talks alone, then why not be honest and abort the talks rather than this 'death of a thousand cuts'

I like the Cyprus Mail .They appear to have some sensible and non partisan articles,and are honest enough to show where the blame lies whether it be TRNC or ROC

Brave of a paper to publicise what the Greeks intend the relationship between the two sides to be ,if there ever was a settlement.

Talks----It appears its a case of going

spondoolics

Message Posted:
25/10/2009 14:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 19 in Discussion

Now thats what I call "Shooting yourself in the foot". EU Law will totally trash such an irrisponsible racist statement. No minority can or will be treated as an inferior. I can not believe a supposed negotiater made such a stupid statement. I despair of any future satisfactory agreement when the True Colours are flown by RoC.

QUOTE:

AKEL leader Andros Kyprianou yesterday rejected Erdogan’s proposal, saying that Turkey’s often-stated position of including Turkish Cypriot representatives in formal talks “has not been accepted nor is likely to be accepted by our side, for the simple reason that the Turkish Cypriot community cannot be treated on an equal basis with the Republic of Cyprus”.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
25/10/2009 14:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 19 in Discussion

msge 7

"EU Law will totally trash such an irrisponsible racist statement"

You are right, this sort of statement wont help their cause.It might be changing but the trouble is that most of the EU see the GC's as the minority and Turkey (which includes the TC's) as the majority and the aggressor. Parts of the EU also see GC's as Christian brothers. Hence the sanctions and embargoes.

spondoolics

Message Posted:
25/10/2009 14:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 19 in Discussion

Msg 8: A fair comment. But the statement refers specifically to Turkish Cypriots. That kind of nonesense, I feel, puts any further negotiating in extreme peril. I just hope that both leaders can treat the AKEL Statement with the contempt it deserves.

Bill

girne 29

Message Posted:
25/10/2009 15:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 19 in Discussion

ilovecyprus

They will get away with it by saying they made a mistake and really meant that the ROC is a recognised state but TRNC is not and therefore cannot be represented as if it were.

By saying Turkish Cypriot however, I think the underlying message will not be lost on TC's,that they will never be on an equal footing.

One would think that all the stops would be pulled out instead of all this ,who sits where and who is called what.

Back to my original point of what is Talats status ,As he is a Turkish Cypriot then one assumes he also cannot be accepted in formal talks. Are not the talks between Mr T and Mr C formal.?

Lastly, a message to the ROC, or any GC supporters out there.

Is, after all this time negotiating,your priority keeping the TC's in their place or is it a settlement.?

Maybe one reason to bring it to the attention of EU is that it might get them to look closer at who is ,or isnt ,derailing the negotiations.

rdsteve

Message Posted:
25/10/2009 15:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 19 in Discussion

Another one side report to suit the mischeif makers on this site.

Here is what the paper actually said not just the bottom part as depicted on this site. Akel are a minority party that have no power so nobody take a lot of notice of them and it was Christof who took the lead and extended the hand of frendship to Turkey

PRESIDENT Demetris Christofias’ proposal to meet directly with Turkey’s Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan to discuss the Cyprus problem has been met with a counter-proposal for “a four-way dialogue”.

In the second part of an interview given to the Athens correspondent of Turkish newspaper Sabah, Christofias is said to have proposed a bilateral meeting to Erdogan during a 15-minute conversation they had on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly session last month in New York.

Christofias is reported as saying that the Cyprus problem will only be solved if Turkey shows some initiative, which why he proposed to meet the Turkish premier directly.

rdsteve

Message Posted:
25/10/2009 15:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 19 in Discussion

Erdogan yesterday made a counter-proposal of “a four-way dialogue” in a speech he gave to the Fourth plenary session of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Mediterranean, which opened in Istanbul. The dialogue would most likely involve the two sides in Cyprus plus Turkey and Greece.

Lets have the full facts on things not just the bits that cause political mischeif making

Steve

lapta29

Message Posted:
25/10/2009 15:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 19 in Discussion

Hmmm I wonder if the tc and gcs want to be 100 % equal that is fine I think the g/c s would go for that but from what I read the t/c s want to have some sort of proportional representation

rather than 1 MAN 1VOTE

As the later would leave the t/cs out numbered therefore at the mercy once again of their Greek Cypriot brothers. ??

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
25/10/2009 15:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 19 in Discussion

msge 11

"Akel are a minority party that have no power"

Very reasonable point about Akel

Christofias has always wanted to meet with Erdogan, but to my knowledge (refering to a previous article) Christofias has also declined to a four way discussion to include Talat.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
25/10/2009 15:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 19 in Discussion

msge 11

I thought I would have another look at the article. I couldnt see anything that said Akel were the minority party. Perhaps you have a more extensive copy than me.

Also noticed that Christofias was the head of AKEL. rdsteve, welcome to the club of mischief makers. Glad you could join me and the crew. You are very welcome

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
25/10/2009 16:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 19 in Discussion

ps the article is a little misleading, because it states KYPRIANOU as the leader of the AKEL party when indeed he is the General secretary of the party.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
25/10/2009 16:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 19 in Discussion

msge 10

"Back to my original point of what is Talats status ,As he is a Turkish Cypriot then one assumes he also cannot be accepted in formal talks. Are not the talks between Mr T and Mr C formal.?"

Girne

Although, clearly Christofias (head of the ruling party Akel) sees Talat as his friend it would seem that politically he does not hold Talat in political esteem. Unless one sees the other as equal you are more inclined to go for win/lose in the negotiations.

Troodo

Message Posted:
25/10/2009 17:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 19 in Discussion

Christofias said the same thing to Erdogan at the UN last week, when it was he trying to set up a three way meeting. So the words actually come from the horses mouth. They will never treat the TC's as equals so what are these negotiations all about?

Troodo.

spondoolics

Message Posted:
26/10/2009 16:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 19 in Discussion

I have never been a mischief maker. I have a quote printed in the Cyprus Mail which states that in a complete sentence "TC's are not the equal of GC,s". If the paper has printed rubbish I will be very happy to read about it and hope that the joint discussions by all leaders is still on track. Christofias being head of AKEL should give his General Secretary a good bollocking. I sympathise with neither side and hope to keep an open mind, and that justice will prevail. I do get a little tiresome of GC,s blaming the Turks for the intervention thus stopping enosois. Turkish Troops and Greek Troops clashed in 1974, notice I don,t mention atrocities as I have no knowledge of it. Both countries are now Guarantour powers, I hope they do sort it out to the satisfaction of all. Talat can not be left out of the discussions because he is deemed leader of an inferior race by AKEL Gen Sec.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.