North Cyprus Tourist Board - Ibrahim Arselan - Illegal construction in Bellapais
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Ibrahim Arselan - Illegal construction in Bellapais

Ibrahim Arselan - Illegal construction in Bellapais

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Bellapais Monastery North Cyprus

» See All North Cyprus Lawyer Discussions posted so far

» Law Firms on Cyprus44 Business Directory

jbarnett

Message Posted:
07/05/2008 13:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Do any of you know this man or know anyone who has any dealings with him?

I thought I would draw people’s attention to him in case he tries to rip anybody else off!

I live in Bellapais near a site where this person is building some villas. The land is located on Gulfidan Sokak, which is a turning off the main back road to Bellapais village, called Dereboyu Sokak. The ‘builder’ is called Ibrahim Arselan and is from mainland Turkey, he started building 5 villas on this site about 4 years ago. As far as I'm aware he does not own the land (it is owned by a Turkish Cypriot in the village) but they struck a deal whereby the landowner would get the money from the sale of one of the 5 villas.

As the villas were nearing completion, 3 of them were demolished a couple of years ago by the government/planning department as they did not have planning permission and were in the wrong place. A couple from the UK put a deposit down for one of the demolished villas and, as far as I’m aware, they are still waiting for their money back despite taking the builder to court. Another Brit purchased one of the remaining villas and moved into it before it was completed as they were worried that it would also be knocked down. They had already paid the builder the full purchase price and the builder refused to do anymore work on the villa, so the owner has had to finish it off at his expense. Also, there is no permanent electricity supply to the site, they are borrowing it from a next door neighbour.

By the way, the ‘builder’ lives on site in a wooden shed complete with air-con unit and digiturk.

After the 3 villas were demolished, he started work on 2 new villas and his method is to employ a variety of Turkish workers who work for a week or two, but when he refuses to pay them, they leave and a few days later he reappears with some other unsuspecting workers who then last a few more days until they realise they won’t get paid etc etc.

The builder is obviously not registered with the construction association, which we are told is illegal. I have sent a few emails to the construction association as well as phoning them, but although they say they are going to send someone to check on the site, nothing has ever happened. The local muhtar doesn’t seem to want to do anything about it either.

Also, the 3 unsold villas are now being marketed by Landmark Estate Agents, who I would have thought could only sell properties that were constructed by registered builders?

I don’t have any vested interest in this case but am posting on here to warn any potential buyers as this guy is clearly a conman who owes a lot of people a lot of money and the fact that he doesn’t own the land will mean that there will be a huge problem getting your hands on the title deeds, let alone ever getting your property finished and permanent electricity connected.

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
07/05/2008 15:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

jbarnett,

Thankyou for drawing peoples attention to this site and this individual. I congratulate you on naming and shaming the company and person.

As for Landmark marketing them, you assume that they, or any estate agent, actually do any background checks or sees any paperwork before agreeing to market properties. It is a case of Pound Signs before the eyes that they see, not logical thinking and wondering if all is ok.

brandy sour

Message Posted:
07/05/2008 18:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

This builder gives the turkish cypriots a bad name and should be thrown off the island and not allowed back to con any body else.

rtddci

Message Posted:
07/05/2008 20:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Jeni

Well done on bringing this to attention. Have you brought this to the attention of the Property Complaints Office or Marian Stokes via http://www.hbpg-trnc.net?

Martin

kavenkoy

Message Posted:
07/05/2008 21:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

well done jb....

so if the shed got demolished at night on site it would be a fitting end .

wynyardman

Message Posted:
07/05/2008 21:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

jbarnett,

Good posting. A truly sociable act. Lets have more of this!

wynyardman

koronion

Message Posted:
09/05/2008 12:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Of the five houses originally built only two remain --- one of which is inhabited.

The reason for the demolition of three houses is the they were DIRECTLY UNDER OVERHEAD POWER LINES. The three replacement buildings the builder is constructing are approx 20 feet north of the original sites . However --- if you don't mind power lines crossing directly above your swimming pool ---- good luck !!!!!

LandP

Message Posted:
09/05/2008 19:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

RE: Ibrahim Arslan..Bellapais.

We are the couple that put down a deposit on plot 3 on this development, the property was plastered out and the pool constructed. It was deemed by Kib-Tek that the property(s) was built too near the overhead power lines...not directly under! (there are specific perameters laid down, which obviously were not adhered to). Consequently 3 houses were ordered to be demolished, which they were by the builder. He could at this time have returned to Turkey and left the site at no more expense to himself. He has however persevered with the development and has signed a Legal undertaking with ourselves for the return of the funds upon sale of either of the new houses. His workers live in the site huts and Ibrahim commutes between Turkey and the TRNC. With regards to registration all I can say is that the construction was started well before the new law regarding membership of the Constructors Ass. became law. The new houses have full planning permission (and adhere to Kib-Tek requirements) which is available to be seen together with all relevant plans in the offices of Landmark Estate Agents . With regards to the land ownership, handing over a house in exchange for the land is a very common practice in the TRNC and should not make obtaining the Kocan any more difficult than if the land was owned by the Builder. The properties are in an excellent position and represent very good value for the area.

I have posted this reply to put the facts straight as we were the couple involved originally. We do not feel that the initial posting reflected the true facts of the matter and do not do either the Builder justice for turning around a situation, or most certainly Landmark Estate Agents who are a reputable local company.

Leslie & Patricia Henson...Karsiyaka.

jbarnett

Message Posted:
10/05/2008 11:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Hi Leslie & Patricia,

I'm pleased to hear that you have something in writing to say that your money will be returned. I have to say that it's very kind of you to say good things about the builder considering you are still waiting for him to return your money after what I guess is 3 years and counting, I don't think I would be so forgiving! I also appreciate that the construction association regulations must have come into effect just after he started work on the site, but he should still have registered himself when the laws became enforceable over 2 years ago, just like every other builder is supposed to.

I have no issue with Landmark Estate Agents and am sure they are a reputable company, I was just pointing out that Estate Agents should only be dealing with registered builders but hopefully this was a one off situation.

However, I stand by my comments about a) the other owner who paid all of their money up front to the builder but their property was never finished & they had to pay to have it completed themselves and b) the numerous workmen/pavers/painters who have helped build the villas but have never been paid.

Also the situation regarding the builder/landowner being different people is a problem if the sales contract doesn't mention/is signed by both of these parties otherwise there is nothing to legally oblige the landowner to transfer the deeds. Hopefully that is not a problem in this case, but it’s a very important point for future buyers.

I hope things work out OK for you.

rtddci

Message Posted:
01/06/2008 21:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

I just wondered if Leslie & Patricia had anything to say in response?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.