North Cyprus Tourist Board - Avoid kissing until March - Swine Flu in TRNC
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Avoid kissing until March - Swine Flu in TRNC

Avoid kissing until March - Swine Flu in TRNC

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

nurseawful

Message Posted:
31/10/2009 08:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 25 in Discussion

TRNC's Minister of Health has warned that kissing and shaking hands can help the spread of the H1N1 virus (swine flu) so everyone should refrain from this until March. What he failed to mention is that H1N1 virus is also airborne so in effect someone sneezing in the same room will help spread this as droplets will not only go through the air but end up on other surfaces.

Some preventative measures you can take while out and about. Don't put your hands near your eyes, nose and mouth if sitting in a public place. Refrain from hugging kissing and shaking hands. In the home wipe surfaces with a bacterial cleaner. Just general common sense.

Sypmtoms are fever, sore throat, high temperature, muscle pain, cough and in some cases sickness and diarrhoea.

People who are most at risk are the ones who's immune systems are already compromised e.g. people who are receiving chemotherapy. other risk groups are those with chronic pulmonary or cardiac disease. And of course as always the Elderly

nurseawful

Message Posted:
31/10/2009 08:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 25 in Discussion

Cont.

As soon as you suspect that you have any kind of Influenza symptom,. remain at home to reduce the spread of the virus as transmission usually occurs early in the illness.

Drink plenty oof fluids which will help reduce fever. Avoid smoking and alcohol. take 2 paracetamol ever 6 hours this will help both the fever and any associated headache and general aches and pains.

If diarrhoea and vomiting last more than 48 hours seek medical advice.

I will try next week to find the names of any Dr's willing to do house calls and post it on here.

Keep well all it takes is a few precautions and some common sense.

Chris

adagirl

Message Posted:
31/10/2009 09:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 25 in Discussion

Thanks Nurseawful, we have a stand by the door in our shop with a bottle of anti-bacterial hand gel together with government leaflets and a sign in English and Turkish "please disinfect your hands". I havent seen any other shops locally with this very cheap precaution, (gel costs less than 7 tl). has anyone seen these precautions anywhere else in public? Staff are at high risk of infection as they deal with such a huge number of visitors, and like Nurseawful says, those of us (like me) with immune system problems, are at risk, so if you see the bottle of gel offered PLEASE use it!!!!!

Yellowbelly

Message Posted:
31/10/2009 19:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 25 in Discussion

Top advice Nurse. The number of selfish people I still see sneezing openly in the office I work makes me (literally) sick!

nurseawful

Message Posted:
31/10/2009 21:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 25 in Discussion

Just a thought if you are in a pub / restaurant that has nuts on the bar please don't take any as this is a potential source of infection!

You may wash your hands after going to the toilet but how many others do??????????????????

MsGarnet

Message Posted:
01/11/2009 04:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 25 in Discussion

I seem to remember a survey done ages ago, that examined a dish of nuts left on a bar, and urine traces from 30 (yes THIRTY) different people were found in the dish!!!!!!!!!! when leaving a public toilet, I use my sleeve or a tissue to open the doors......I always wash my hands thoroughly every time I come in the house, only ever use tissues rather than handkerchiefs, and never ever buy any foodstuffs that are uncovered, like at Farmers markets, or bread rolls or even bread in supermakets - think of how many people walk past and cough or sneeze...........I also wash all fruit and vegetables unless the skin is going to be discarded........most hygiene practices are obvious if you think it through........

smithy

Message Posted:
01/11/2009 17:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 25 in Discussion

if you walk into any Supermarket where the Bread is left open everyone is just feeling them and putting them back, god knows how many people have touched the bread and what their hands have touched before makes you shudder, I now only buy sliced bread, but probably same goes on at the bakery so you cant avoid it

Tootie

Message Posted:
01/11/2009 18:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 25 in Discussion

I remember reading about an experiment done on the peanuts on a bar and the conclusion was, contact with the peanuts was mostly with the ones taken & that there is very little chance of contamination and bacteria would have no chance of multiply because of the salt.

However it did say that when the person puts the nuts in there mouth and licks there fingers, Then goes in for some more with saliva on the fingers that the chance of contamination is higher but again the high salt would kill of any nasty bacteria.

Tootie

ROBnJO

Message Posted:
01/11/2009 18:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 25 in Discussion

nurseawful

Devils Advocate Here!

The latest UK info on Swine Flu broadcast this morning, states that those at higher than average risk are young children and teenagers, pregnant women, those with pre-existing pulmonary conditions or breathing conditions such as Athsma.

People over 50, including older age groups are not presenting as 'at risk'.

The incidence of serious complications or death are well below the annual average for 'common' flu.

NHS websites have not been upgraded with this information.

Personally I feel it is the usual case of over reactive 'PC' propaganda.

A bit like today in London, we had 'SEVERE WEATHER WARNINGS' for torrential rain, high winds, structural damage and flooding!!!

It was a bit wet and windy with a few leaves blown off the trees!

Thousands die from 'other' conditions after getting common colds every year, Swine Flu has been overhyped and people should not be presented with alarmist scenarios.

Rob

BillyB

Message Posted:
01/11/2009 19:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 25 in Discussion

Is it best to abstain from sex until march?

30 traces of urine in the peanuts on the bar? Makes wonder what the peanut factory workers are doing on the conveyor belt when the manager's not looking.

Agnes

Message Posted:
01/11/2009 23:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 25 in Discussion

urine is also found in ice buckets left on bars, so unless its served from behind bar with tongs or a scoop it's best to do without ice

Brinsley

Message Posted:
02/11/2009 00:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 25 in Discussion

So with the 'girlie' clubs out of action until next March the TRNC economy will take an even further nose dive! Mind you, the hares do go wild in early Spring so there could be an upsurge of activity to look forward too!

Richard

nurseawful

Message Posted:
02/11/2009 07:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 25 in Discussion

Most of what you have all said is true about ice and peanuts but there is a fine line between being just daft and common sense. And what has sex got to do with this if you have to go to the night clubs and are afraid of catching the virus wear a mask I am sure the girls will at least be grateful for that!!!!!

Rob thanks for your input but when I say elderly there is a high risk group living here in NC with pre existing medical conditions. (80+ years) These people are always at risk. I should have mentioned pregnancy as there was a young woman in the Scottish borders recently died from the virus and she was 8 months pregnant.

The reason children are included is the fact that a classroom is a perfect breeding ground for germs with the children sitting side by side in close proximity to each other. It only takes one sneeze. Airplanes are also a high risk area.

ClaireCat44

Message Posted:
02/11/2009 09:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 25 in Discussion

The creche, the primary school and the college here at Near East are all closed until Thursday. The university is as normal.

ROBnJO

Message Posted:
02/11/2009 14:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 25 in Discussion

KEEP NIBBLING YOUR NUTS!

You may have washed your hands, but those who haven't will also have touched the loo door handles, toilet seats, taps, flushers, other doors, menus, chairs, bars, Credit Card readers,... etc,.

I've nibbled my nuts for 50 years,.... no problem!

Rob

hilda

Message Posted:
02/11/2009 20:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 25 in Discussion

nurseawful

Please give us grownups some credit

Brinsley

Message Posted:
02/11/2009 21:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 25 in Discussion

What has kissing, handshakes, washing hands got to do with the spread of swine flu? It is an airborne transmitted virus. Sneezing, coughing, breathing in company are the biggest risks of transmission.

Chris, Msg 12 was only meant as a joke!

Richard

adagirl

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 09:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 25 in Discussion

Brinsley when most people sneeze or cough they usually cover their mouth with their hand!!! If they go on to shake hands with someone - then the germs are passed on. The gel is free (not pay per squirt) so I would expect anyone that is offered it to use it. Every little helps, so they say................

nurseawful

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 10:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 25 in Discussion

Adagirl well done with your forward thinking just wish there was a few more like you. But most supermarkets seem to sell this gel so might be a good idea if people kept one in their bag or car.

message 17 I know I am blonde but even I saw message 12 was a joke doh!

Message 16 Hilda. I am not sure what you meant by your comment could you please expand. Thank you

adagirl

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 10:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 25 in Discussion

Thanks!! We also had government officials who came round with posters, one in Turkish and one in English and Greek. These are now in the window next to the door. The government are trying their best, the very least ALL business owners can do is spend a few lira on a bottle of gel to protect their staff.

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 11:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 25 in Discussion

Nurselovely, I refuse to call you awful as it is against the trades description act , I hate kissing anyway, someone shoving their tongue down your throat YUK lol, so I am in no danger from that, everything I agree with, extra hygiene measures are called for.

negativenick

Message Posted:
05/11/2009 19:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 25 in Discussion

Bugger ! - i kissed my missus earlier today before i read this..

McSteviet

Message Posted:
05/11/2009 22:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 25 in Discussion

Mwah to all

cyprusjoker

Message Posted:
07/11/2009 18:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 25 in Discussion

This sticky kissing thread, is it staying on top till march?

Geejay

Message Posted:
07/11/2009 19:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 25 in Discussion

nurseawful,

Thanks for your timely and good advice which I think reminds us all that we should take care against seasonal influenza. Soooo...... why does swine flue stop before March ?. Does it just simply die out and disappear ?

Is there some magic in that month that will cure swine flue ?.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.