North Cyprus Tourist Board - Problem Goats - what can I do
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Problem Goats - what can I do

Problem Goats - what can I do

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

LaptaMike

Message Posted:
03/11/2009 22:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 24 in Discussion

The goat herder over the road from our villa let his goats out to wander around unattended today. He does this about once a week. They jumped over the wall into our garden and caused about 100TL of damage to our plants and trees (Including totally stripping 2 newly planted citrus trees) . We are now having a fence built on the wall so they can't get in.

Just a few questions.

1. If they are on our land what action can I take legally? (I now class them as vermin)

2. How can I claim compensation from the goat herder?

3. If I inform the council, what if any, action will they take?

4. If they are in the road, which they often are, and one ran in front of the car, what would happen if I accidentally knocked it over?

Thanks

basheer

Message Posted:
03/11/2009 22:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 24 in Discussion

Hi claim the goat as compensation or he pay you the value of your damage or you will enforce legal action

hope you took snaps of the goat on your property and the damage done if not there's a problem of his word against yours good luck

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
03/11/2009 22:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 24 in Discussion

I presume the goats have ear tags, if so then take note of the numbers and then go and talk to your Muhtar.

'1. If they are on our land what action can I take legally? (I now class them as vermin) '

See above and do not forget the locals were here long before you were and rely on their goats for income.

'2. How can I claim compensation from the goat herder? '

Do not even think about it. The best solution is to get to know the goat herder and make him or her a friend as opposed to an enemy.

'3. If I inform the council, what if any, action will they take?'

I do not know where you live but my experience is that the council will not do much for you.

'4. If they are in the road, which they often are, and one ran in front of the car, what would happen if I accidentally knocked it over? '

Not sure where you are going with that one but we have have had the same problems in the past. We have planted Oleander bushes all around our border. (cont)

Brinsley

Message Posted:
03/11/2009 22:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 24 in Discussion

Kill it and eat it! With the price of meat as is, you will be well compensated! Recipes on request.

Richard

LaptaMike

Message Posted:
03/11/2009 22:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 24 in Discussion

wasn't just 1 goat, was all his goats. About 30 of them. Didn't get photos of them on there but have photos of the damage including, all the hoof prints and the a seperate witness. The bee keeper who helped shoo them out of the garden.

the butler

Message Posted:
03/11/2009 23:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 24 in Discussion

Hi LaptaMike,

We had this problem on our site at Esentepe and the whole herd came on the site every day. They drank from the pools and ate everything we planted. £1000's worth of damage. One winter there were 3 drowned in the pools. We contacted the mayor of Esentepe, we spoke to the police, we found an interpreter and spoke to the shepherd all to no avail. We tried buying the shepherd the odd bottle of Raki and packets of ciggarettes but still they came. Our neighbour got a rescue dog from Kar, she is worth her weight in gold. We have not seen a goat for months now, as they soon got the message when she chased them away. I do realise that the goats were there long before we were and that the shepherd has to make a living and the paths that they take they have taken since they were born. It is an ongoing problem and one the devlopers and government should have thought of and addressed before they allowed all the building work to take place.

The butlers wife

zerochlor

Message Posted:
03/11/2009 23:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 24 in Discussion

curried goat is delicious

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
03/11/2009 23:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 24 in Discussion

Continued from message 3:

and they will keep the goats out and far cheaper than paying for fencing.

We had a major problem with 4 goat herds being driven up to the mountains on a regular basis via the road/track along side our villa. We got to know the goat herders (1 man and 3 women) and in the summer we used to give them glasses of fresh lemonade on their way up the mountain. We now have a great friendship with our 'neighbours' and we have been invited to their houses for tea and coffee, they give us goats cheese, eggs and other culinary delights. and we have not had a problem since.

So in a nutshell please do not alienate your TC neighbours instead try to understand their way of life.

AJ

Graham

Message Posted:
03/11/2009 23:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 24 in Discussion

4. If they are in the road, which they often are, and one ran in front of the car, what would happen if I accidentally knocked it over?

A Bloody great dent in your car.

LaptaMike

Message Posted:
03/11/2009 23:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 24 in Discussion

The butlers wife.

Thanks for your very informative (and useful) post. Unfortunately because we are not residing permanently its not convenient to get dogs yet. Next year we will.

RE msg 3. Neighbours have had same problems. The herder let them go on my neighbours land and they totally deciamted him orange and lemon trees. My neighbour put a fence and gates around his land but while my neighbour was away the herder would take gates (illegally) off their hinges and let the goats in. My other neighbour (who is a local turkish cypriot) is furious about them going on his land and eating his olive trees. He chased them away with a big stick after they got in our garden.

Anyone for Goat Curry? ;-)

LaptaMike

Message Posted:
03/11/2009 23:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 24 in Discussion

msg 9, graham. Not in ours. Probably just run over it and think 'never noticed that speed bump before'

cyprusjoker

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 00:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 24 in Discussion

Have the goats got big teats, if so, dont harm them, ill be up as quick as i can..

LaptaMike

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 00:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 24 in Discussion

a few had kibrisjoker. ;-) Can't decide if you want to make helim or your just a dirty bugger hehe ;-)

Lilli

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 00:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 24 in Discussion

Lapta the owner of them probably is the Muhtar. As was the case with us in Edremrit. When we went to complain thats when I found the 15 puppies in the most awful conditions. Everyday they walked past the house some got in we had to live with it. He threw me of his land when after feeding these pups for a few days ( I have to say looking back I should not have done), I found some dead and my lovely blackjak with his stomach hanging out. I just took that dog and the rest is history. He is here wih me as big as a horse and faster than red rum. He came to my house with the sheep and goats kissed me and apologised.Its difficult but we have to get on. As AJ states these were thier villages before us. Just be polite and you will win xx

LaptaMike

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 00:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 24 in Discussion

Lilli, thanks for a nice Sunday Dinner (only eat half if you remeber) but this herder is squating on land. He's doesn't own it. The goats and sheep haven't been using old ancient paths. He doesn't care about anyone else. Going to the Mufta or the council tommorrow.

He's had complaints and asked to move further up the mountain by the council.........

Going to ask my mate Teo to come with me to the council office or mufta.....

Sorry about going on. Just furious about the damage to the garden.

Lilli

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 01:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 24 in Discussion

oh lapt im so sorry for you. its so hard when your lovely garden gets kicked up like this. Do what you have to do and I wish you the very best of luck. (Of course I remember you)Im just sorry I didnt see you go it was manic. Take care my friend xxxx

JohhnyLee

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 08:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 24 in Discussion

AJ message 3, 100% correct, we have just had to spend £2,000 to fence of our land goats ate our entire gardens 3 times,

Police and authorities arnt really interested, they say the sheperd is only trying to make a living.

Its your problem (fence It) they say, after all those goats have probably wandered that same route for years.

We had about 70 run riot through our land, they came down from the mountains

And as far I am aware if you kill them in your car then you pay, don,t quote me on that but my turkish nieghbour told me their uuncle hit a herd of goats, and it cost him 10.000 lira.

But as AJ says, they where here before us, and I think thats a good rule of thumb for life here. Adjust to our Host,s not vica versa.

smithy

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 09:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 24 in Discussion

Mike best of luck in sorting this out what a Palaver you cant even block your own property off without it being invaded, olden days you were allowed to protect whats yours but here, they run the place

Good luck

adagirl

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 09:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 24 in Discussion

I had some friends a few years ago with this problem (6 yrs ago). They were told :

It is YOUR responsibility to enclose your garden against goats and sheep.

It is YOUR fault if you hit one with your car.

It is YOUR fault if your dog attacks one.

They just put railings on the wall, which also stopped stray dogs jumping over!

Good luck...

dizzycows

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 16:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 24 in Discussion

Laptamike, dont forget we are guests in this country, this herding has gone on since before ever! Get the garden fenced properly, it will save you a lot of hassle from the locals, and for your own peace of mind. The locals will only see you as a moaning brit, they dont have gardens as such and couldnt care less as to what it cost, as they do not have a set income like some of us. Expecially the poor goat herders.

It is a shame that the goats are being pushed further away as development takes place as it is one of the things that has drawn many to buy in NC. The beautiful old traditions etc. Once they have gone because we do not like this intusion of normal life in NC it will be just like any other over developed med country.

So my advise to you would be fence the garden, embrass your goat herder, it works wonders.

If you run over a goat, it will be your own fault for not driving with due care. As dont think these poor goat men would have insurance! Its goat for dinner!.....

britvic

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 16:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 24 in Discussion

I don't have a problem with Goats drinking out of the pool or eating my plants as like people have said they were here before us, however my neighbours did have a problem and went to the goat herder.

His solution? Tie two dogs to a tree on the mountain side, and leave them there to bark day and night, scaring the goats away........Oh yes and keeping us up all night!

These two dogs have now been tied to the tree since May, and there is nothing any of the residence can do about it, as the goat herder comes twice a day to feed and water them.

Be careful what you wish for.

Vicki

dizzycows

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 16:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 24 in Discussion

Vicky you are right, as these people have been here a lot longer than most of the brits.

It is sad that the old blokes are scraping a living from a few goats, as its there way of living, what else could they do if you stop them?

Laptamike, I do hope you sort it without falling out with the locals, or even going to the muktar, as he possibly is a relation and of course will make nice noises, but wont do a thing.

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 17:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 24 in Discussion

Don't bother about putting up a gate build a cattle grid instead that should stop them

kathsj

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 18:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 24 in Discussion

When we bought in Arapkoy we knew there were goats and put up appropriate fences, The goats were there before us. Didnt plant the garden till the fences were up. Seems to have worked (fingers crossed) Along the back fence have planted Oleander and where more desirable plants are within reach have put shading attached to the railings.

Kath

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.