North Cyprus Tourist Board - When will the TRNC realise what's needed?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > When will the TRNC realise what's needed?

When will the TRNC realise what's needed?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

pinkchilli

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 07:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

Tourism & Construction.

Not "Unemployment Benefit" from the Motherland.

If they were able to accept this, then the next question is how can you get more tourists and get more foreigners to buy property.

One hour on this forum could sort the second part of the question. As regard to tourists, just ask the ones that decide not to return.

How many TC's benefit directly from tourism and property sales? Not as many who receive their "Unemployment Benefit" from Turkey.

That's your answer!

winslow

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 08:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

Msg

Not "Unemployment Benefit" from the Motherland. What makes you believe the financial assitance affordid to us by Turkey goes on unempolyment benefit...

Tourism if we had direct flytes there would be mass tourism. And it would create empolyment and a whole host of other industries would also benefit boosting further employment. The ones that don't come back you can't please everyone. Many people post on this site and say how they loved it here and constanley return year after year. And are looking to settle.

Regarding construction yes we are not without our problems. But is that not the same everywhere look at Spain and even in the Uk there are rogue builders. You just have got to have your wits about you when you buy sell or develop property its a life decision.

Winslow

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 09:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

I think what Pinkchilli means is that if Turkey terminated the current 'financial arrangement', there would be a lot of unemployed TC's.

The government has been well aware of the problems, but chooses to ignore them - so, that's their choice!

Why would any tourist 'in the know', without TRNC connections, choose TRNC when Turkey offers so much for a fraction of the cost?

Brinsley

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 09:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

Winslow

TRNC has 'direct flights', what you mean is 'non-stop' flights. Big difference.

Richard

winslow

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 10:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

M S G 3/4

Yes if Turkey did terminate the financial assistance it gave us our economy would collapse. But let us be clear it does not go on unempolyment benefits.

What problems are you referring to they ignore..

Cyprus is well known through the world as a tourist destination. When tourist book holidays tour operates as a result of the embargoes display RoC hotels. You generally have to ask for TRNC and many operates do not deal With TRNC KTHY CTA. Many tourist believe Cyprus is Cyprus it is only when they get here they learn of the situation.

İts not only non stop flights that hinder us Airlines are not allowed to land at Ercan that is also a part of ristrictions that is forgotten When did you see BA or Lufthansa land bringing us tourists they are not allowed to. So they fly them elsewhere where they have their agreements in place. Operates do not break the terms of embargoes or they will be prosecuted. We tried to over turn this recently in the high courts and guess who obj

newscoop

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 10:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

Why the assumption that BA and co are gagging to bring tourists in?

They already serve the Cypriot hot spot with Larnaca which is a relatively short drive to Bogaz and beyond.

Non stop flights would kill off CTA in the event of other carriers using Ercan. They just would not be able to compete and all they would be left with is Turkey itself. For which they would have to renew their fleet with 70-90 seater jets to make the services finanacially viable.

pinkchilli

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 10:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

My term "Unemployment Benefit" sarcastically refers to Civil Servants wages.

As if there was not too much difference.

Apologies for those not knowing my style of posting.

pinkchilli

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 11:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

If the majority of TC's receive the majority of their income from the state, i.e. Turkish Unemployment Benefit how will their lives improve.

More tourists = more expensive restaurants/supermarkets, etc. Busier roads.

More construction = less/(or more expensive) water (this can also apply to more tourists), more work processing forms, i.e. residency/P2P, etc.

So, if you were a TC in the public sector, what would you want? Answer: Higher "Unemployment Benefit", less hours, more friends/relatives in work, more holidays, etc, etc.

If you were a TC in the private sector, what would you want? Answer: More opportunities for being "greedy".

PS. I love it here and would never go back. It's just that I think we might have to try and understand the "average TC".

winslow

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 11:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

MSG 6 7

The point is people in the know do use BA and fly Larnaca and then cross over. But package tours do not they are taken to RoC hotels and reside there. İ agree its a monoply THY do charge higher rates as they are government owned but was that not the same in the Uk and other european countries untill the airlines where privitised. BA had a monopoly Branson argued for years about it went to court for unfair competition İ believe. This is an issue that the new tourism minster has mentioned they are overstaffed there is talk of cut backs and stearmlining if he gets his own way. They have allowed pegasus in and other low coster to land. As for civil service pay just like anywhere it depends on your length of service and position İ admit here to they are over staffed but central government has to empoly (keynes the multıpler effect). There is not enough private sector to take up slack or else people could not survive as the wealthstate in terms of unempolyment be

winslow

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 12:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

as the wealth fair state in terms of unemployment is very minamal.

AlexF065

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 15:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

so to gain more tourists

1 a decent rubbish removal system

2 a decent water supply in tourist areas

3 a decent infrastructure Roads ect

4 more competitive shopping and eating opportunities

5 a taxation and building scheme that encouraged foreign investment to get the hotel/holiday complexes needed

6 the world reconition of TRNC as a micro state?

7 To give decent value for money instead of trying to RIP everybody off at the first opportunity

pinkchilli

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 19:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

Winslow.

I agree. However, the civil servants are paid too much. It's not just their position/length of service. It's a "gravy train". Did you read labourers working for the Government "were" being offered 2,000+TL pm, just for starters. Imagine when he gets his own shovel! His position and length of service will warrant a wage increase!

Alex

IMO I do not think your "average" TC wants more tourists. He/she will not directly see any benefit.

They will only benefit if Turkey hands out more money for nothing.

Hector

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 23:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

pinkchilli

You are right. There is absolutely no incentive for TC's to seek change, it's the exact opposite. If they had to actually create wealth and a vibrant economy only then would things change. Winslow I think is just making excuses.

winslow

Message Posted:
05/11/2009 00:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

MSG 12 13

Pinkchilli İ agree there are abuses but its something we are aware of and trying to change there is a strong union mentally here and in Turkey. We are behind it is reminicent of the 70s in the UK. Look at the UK and the miners scargill how long did it take Thatcher to introduce flexible labour laws and break the unions and stream line central government.

But for now that labourer should use that shovel to dig a hole for himself..porbably complain its to heavy to lift..

Hector clarify excuses..please

TinLondon

Message Posted:
05/11/2009 02:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

Quite frankly, if I never had family in the TRNC there would be no other reason for me to spend my holiday there. If I spend 48 weeks of the year working 9-5 the last place I'd want to go to is a place that treat tourists as cash machines by ripping them off. There are plenty of other places in the world that can offer sun, sea and sand for a lot less money. The bottom line is that the TRNC is not yet ready for tourists. Yes, they have built a few hotels across the island and thrown a few untrained people from Turkey in to them, the customer service on the national airline is bordering plain rude, food hygine is non existant and going to the beach can costs as much as a ticket to DisneyWorld. Why would anyone want to holiday here? Until people are taught what real work is then I don't see this place changing, it's always the same old excuse, "we're embargoed"! I don't see anyone going without, they all have brand new cars and the latest phones all paid for by unworked wages!

pinkchilli

Message Posted:
05/11/2009 07:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

The "Mercure" refuses to employ local TC's. Every member of staff comes from and has been trained in Turkey.

When I asked "why". The reply was: they do not want to work, and if they do, they want to be the boss!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.