North Cyprus Tourist Board - Moving to Northern Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Moving to Northern Cyprus

Moving to Northern Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

» See all North Cyprus Shipping threads posted so far

» Read about Shipping Freight to North Cyprus

dopey

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 19:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 19 in Discussion

Hi

As I am new to this site (and hoping to move to Northern Cyprus) I am getting really worried about the ex-pats that are moving back to the UK, is it mainly because of boredom, missing families or just general problems. On the whole are people really happy that they moved to Northern Cyprus

catalkoykid

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 19:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 19 in Discussion

no many people came for the 22% interest and its gone and the property problem

smithy

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 19:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 19 in Discussion

Missing my family who originally came here but work moved them on, that's the only reason for moving back

not because of the wonderful place or the people/friends

simply to be with my family

Sheila

sporty

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 19:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 19 in Discussion

Brenda,make of it what you will but there are negatives everywhere,its what you make of it that counts,i've just bought a place there,i really love it there and will get over as much as i can,its a really super place to go imho,good luck x

Moover321

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 19:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 19 in Discussion

Think long and hard before you make a commitment to move.

1. Understand your reasons why you want to move

2. Then look to see if what you may get in the TRNC is worth what you may miss or require from the UK

3. Do your homework - there is no substitute for your own research and speak to as many people as you feel you need to before taking the plunge

4. Happiness comes in many shapes and sizes - for some it is the sunshine and for others it is family and friends - as I said in point 1 - understand your reasons for wanting to move then see if what you want can be found in the TRNC or elsewhere

5. Many poeple are leaving but again for a host of reasons - some for health others because they simply cannot take the fact that here they can be 2nd class citizens in their adopted country

Moving is never easy at any age, but more so as you get older.

Please think carefullly, research and plan what you want from living here - rent rather than buy at first!

Good luck!

stockiefan

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 20:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 19 in Discussion

Forget it, choose somewhere else, not an easy place to settle down!

LaptaMike

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 20:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 19 in Discussion

Wherever you go there will be niggling little problems but if you learn to adapt its fine. I love North Cyprus. Really friendly people. Beautiful countryside.

I wouldn't buy an off the shelf estate villa. Best getting a respected and well known builder to custom build for you. I know a couple, Necip Ataser who built ours and the owner of the Rose Gardens (who is likely to be the next Mayor Of Lapta)

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 20:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 19 in Discussion

Rent for a year before you take the plunge to finally move

fazo1

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 20:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 19 in Discussion

i would say if you can keep you home in the uk i would then try hear after 1/2 years if you still like it then its up to you

everon

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 20:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 19 in Discussion

absolutely!!!!!! rent first, then if you don't settle, no problem, you can move on. We bought 7yrs ago, still loving it x

flowerfairy

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 20:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 19 in Discussion

We've been here for 2 1/2 years and haven't regretted the move for one second.

mess 5...........second class citizens in our adopted country !!!!!!!, how?

Hector

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 20:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 19 in Discussion

Brenda

Have to agree with Moover321. Don't burn your bridges with the UK whatever you do. Remember that there is no NHS in NC and after 3 months you lose your UK NHS entitlements. You'll hear about how cheap medical treatment is in NC but think carefully about the all encompassing NHS health care you are losing. Nurses in NC wont look after you in hospital for starters, that's down to your relatives. Have a good look at the many many threads on this forum as to the realities of life in NC including the issues over stray dogs and local attitudes to poisoning.

Moover321

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 20:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 19 in Discussion

Flowerfairy - 2nd class citizens - How? Well let me count the ways

1. If you are a foreigner buying here you are limited as to what you can buy - not if you are a TC

2. If you want to start a buisness you need a TC partner

3. If you stand in a queue you can be sure if there is a TC behind you or coming in from the side they will get served first

4. After paying your money to a property developer the legal system says you have no rights or if you have rights they are virtually impossible to enforce unless of course if you are a TC with the right connections!!

5. Ever tried to buy something in a shop and seen that the price they charge you as a foreigner is not the same as that charged to a TC - beit something small or even a car - ask anyone!

6. Go to any government institution and see how you get treated when reuesting inofrmation on setting up a business here and see how well a TC is treated!

Need I go on? Mb if you live in a cacoon it may be different Enjoy!

flowerfairy

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 21:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 19 in Discussion

Mess 13,

I'm not trying to take away the point of this post, but have you any idea what it's like for a TC when they

try to live in UK?, it isn't all honey and roses.

Maybe I am living in a cocoon, it's a nice one though,

1. I can understand the TC's being concerned who lives near an army camp.

2. I have no experience trying to start a business, so can't comment.

3. I have stood in a queue, and a 'local' (don't know if he was TC of Turkish) tried to push in, another

local stepped in and told him in no uncertain terms to let me go first, as I was next.

4. No experience, so can't comment.

5. This doesn't always happen, especially if you try speaking Turkish, albeit not very well.

6. Once again, can't comment,

Moover321

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 21:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 19 in Discussion

I never said that TC or anyone else for that matter coming to the UK may or may not experience problems of a similar type.

What I did say is that living in the TRNC 'dopey' should be prepared to be treated as such as it happens often and in a small place it is quite obvious what is going on!

I am not entirely sure the limit of 1.25 donums for foreigners has much to do with living near a military camp.

Further more why do foreigners have to wait 2-3 years to get PTP and sometimes 5 yars or more for title deeds? Does this apply to a TC? I think not! If a TC bought a house in the UK it would take as long as it took a local if they went through the process in the normal way - 6-8 weeks max for a straight purchase with no chain and even less if you did the searches yourself!

I think you should understand not everyone has a nice cacoon as yours Enjoy

girne 29

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 21:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 19 in Discussion

flowerefairy

Do you mean as a TC in particular or anyone moving to the UK?.I would not for example like to live in London

In what ways are TC's discriminated against.

Which of Moovers 6 examples does one of a different race ,religion or colour come up against,The UK, and failing that, EU laws are already sufficient to punish discrimination if not actually prevent it.Dont think we are allowed to say blackboard anymore.

Dopey

you can be happy in NC ,those that do best are those that take account of the negative things but still think its worth it. Its a balance sheet, only you can judge ,we all have different priorities so rent for a year and sharpen your pencil.Beware of who you listen to If anyone says its perfect ,run a mile ,they are either desparate to sell up and leave, or are estate agents. The question is not whether its perfect or not but whether it suits you .

LaptaMike

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 21:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 19 in Discussion

if you are worried about loosing your home in UK because of the Orams case. Simple way round, put the deeds into a trust fund account. Can't touch it then

Yellowbelly

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 22:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 19 in Discussion

Just make sure you have a pile of money.. and you too can be happy!

Hector

Message Posted:
04/11/2009 22:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 19 in Discussion

Good point re pile of money. Remember if the NC authorities deem your income/ finances are insufficient (no definitive answer as to how much) then they can refuse to renew your residency permit and out you go.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.