North Cyprus Tourist Board - Ian Smiths Estate Agents
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Ian Smiths Estate Agents

Ian Smiths Estate Agents

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» List of North Cyprus Estate Agents

» See All North Cyprus Estate Agent Related Threads

zink1505

Message Posted:
12/05/2008 12:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

Just want anyone out there looking to use Ian Smith Estate Agents to be very careful. They do not do what they say and slip things into contracts after agreeing in writing something different in writing.

I have pulled out of a purcahsefor this reason.

Be careful & be warned !!!

tonyhickey

Message Posted:
12/05/2008 12:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

Come on lets hear the other side please

tony

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
12/05/2008 12:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

Since when do Ian Smiths do contracts?

It's an estate agents, they're not Advocats or Solictors. They have no say in what the terms and conditions are to be. That is between you and your builder/developer or reseller. The only thing they have to put in is how much they're getting paid in commission and register the contract at the Land Registry.

Kitty1

Message Posted:
12/05/2008 16:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

My experience of Ian Smith is impecable. As TC quite rightly said they estate agent does not draw up the contract, they just facilitate the sale. Everything else falls at the feet of your advocate. Fortunately for us, we had a very good advocate as well. I would resoundingly recommend them both.

After searching properties for quite some time and after viewing with a number of other agents, Ian Smith stood head and shoulders above the rest in terms of service, knowledge, and even after we had completed they were still on hand when I needed to find something.

Zinc I am sorry you have had a bad experiecne but I would be utterly shocked if in fact it was Ian Smith that were responsible.

wackyjim

Message Posted:
12/05/2008 16:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

Ian Smiths have been nothing other than first class with me. I would have thought that any conditions attached to sales particulars would have been highlighted to prospective buyers.

Jim.

zink1505

Message Posted:
12/05/2008 16:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

ok. Ian Smith are selling Carob Villas. Ian Smith owns the plots. Hey make your own mind up. I came to North Cyrus with my wife after agreeing the contract word for word with Kate at Ian Smiths (confirmed in writing) only to be told after arriving more changes needed to be made - major changes..........

I am happy to spend my money where there is more honesty and trust. My idependent lawyer can back up what I am saying, he told me to walk away and not be bullied into agreeing anything. If Ian Smith are the best in North Cyprus then it is not for me. Trust me right now its a buyers market out there and I believe in straight forward business. Good luck.

Thanks

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
12/05/2008 22:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

zink1505,

Now it makes sense. I assume you mean Carob Villas at Karsiyaka, out on the road to Kayalar. Visit Eurocoast, or Homebuyers Estate Agents, who are agents to sell these properties too, to have your contract drawn up. They aren't so closely tide in as Ian Smiths.

wynyardman

Message Posted:
12/05/2008 22:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

I was told Ian Smith Estate Agerts, were some of the best on the Island.

Your argument zinc1505 is very persuasive.

I hope that Ian Smith post to put the matter straight. No one can afford to lose a good customer in this climate.

I hope that this matter can be solved amicably.

wynyardman

kates

Message Posted:
13/05/2008 15:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

In response to Zincs postings, this is the first time I have had to reply to such a posting and am only doing so to defend our reputation which we have built up over the past 23 years. I realise we cant please our clients 100% of the time but myself and my staff do our utmost to provide an honest service and I believe we do this. I do not want to be invovled in a slanging match but the facts are as follows

This client was shown the plots at Carob Villas in February and since then I have well in excess of 100 emails between himself and me negotiating the terms of the contract. The land is currently owned by the developers 5 Oceans, and Ian Smith is indeed a partner in this company along with 5 others. We suggested to the client that he wait until this particular plot was transferred into Ians own name as Ian would agree to his terms and conditions of the contract. This was not agreed and the client decided he wanted to enter a contract with the developers, 5 Oceans. Because of this the partners had to be involved in the contract and both sides, i.e the vendors and purchaser made major changes to the contract many times., I can fairly say I have never had to negotiate so much for a sale in all the time Ive been at Ian Smiths. I pointed out many times that Ian Smith estate agents was NOT 5 Oceans. As an estate agent I naturally would like the sale to be finalised and get my commission as a lot of time and effort was spent by the client, and myself on this. It was sadly not to be but it was through NO fault of Ian Smith Estate Agents and I find the comments made by the client extremely unfair and incorrect. However I wish him good luck in his search for property in the TRNC

Kate Smith

Director, Ian Smith Estate Agents

Hazel

Message Posted:
13/05/2008 15:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

I've always found Ian Smith Estate Agents to be nothing short of professional and considerate in all aspects of our business dealings, they rightly have an excellent reputation on the island and I think we should be told if there is another side to the story before you cause any more harm to them.

Hazel

Captain Keith

Message Posted:
14/05/2008 02:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

I have read all of the above and am pleased that Kate has responded on behalf of Ian Smith to defend their reputation. I have bought a property through them and , whilst we have had problems with the developers, I have been amazed at the help that Kate and Jaqui have given us. Their company got their commission on the sale to us from the developers and could have justifiably walked away. They didn't do that. They have proved immensley helpful in their after sales service with loads of advice about electricity and water connection, payment of local taxes, arranging insurance etc. They never seem to tire of my stupid questions.

Keith Brawn

Tiggy

Message Posted:
14/05/2008 11:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

Kates,

Fair play to you for giving your side of events, which seem to give the full picture.

Pity a few more do not come forward when challenged.

Have a nice day in Cyprus,

T.

zink1505

Message Posted:
14/05/2008 11:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

I note Kates reply. However she has not answered the critical question - why did she (this was after it was agreed to use Five Oceans property) send in writing that all the contract details were agreed before I travelled to North Cyprus, when this was not the case ? It was not until I was in their office with my wife and lawyer ready to sign that major changes were requested. We were all amazed !!

Also when I placed a deposit on the property I was not told Ian Smiths did not actualy own the plot........How could they offer a contract unless they owned it ? This is why Five Oceans came into the loop.............

If this all sounds like a Estate Agent that behaves correctly then I disagree and so does my independant lawyer.

I do not live in the TNRC so I do not need to defend what I did at any cost, all I have to do is tell the truth - this always pays dividends in the future.

Thanks

Aga Buyers A G

Message Posted:
14/05/2008 12:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

With all the crim's and scammers we have come across in the TRNC we feel that we can say that Ian Smith Estate Agents are the ONLY people we would deal with throughout the TRNC, and remember they are members of the UK's National Association Of Estate Agents (The TRNC one is worthless as it has been proved time and time again)

Perhaps if we had all walked into Ian Smiths instead of another well known Estate Agent we AGA Buyers would not be in the position that we are now - caught up in the mass corruption and scams that occur in the TRNC !!!!

By the way Zinc - who was your lawyer, cos not many of them are independent......lol

Sue, Pat & Sandra

ABAG

http://latchfords.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!AED4FE7679CA3C33!702.entry

zink1505

Message Posted:
14/05/2008 12:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

With all that goes on in TRNC thats excatly why I am well out of it !

I dont need to justify myself I have told the truth to warn others.

My lawyer is registered with the British Foreign office and I can assure you is independent - thank fully.

Life is a journey and I am glad I made the right decision, all the comments I have seen have just confirmed to me I made the right decision about the TRNC and Ian Smiths.

I was a good customer that the TNRC has lost, it has costs me qiute a lot of money but I have done the right thing. Also I know many people who will now not consider the TNRC.

Its a shame because the TNRC in parts is lovely.

Good luck to everyone

luvitere

Message Posted:
14/05/2008 15:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

As a property manager I have had business relations with Ian Smiths - particularly Kate - for many years and have no problems in recommending them to all my customers. They are the only ones operating here that I would happily recommend. Their after sales service is superb and I have personal experience that they will still become involved long after sales have gone through.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.