North Cyprus Tourist Board - Has anyone gone for 'permanent' residency?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Has anyone gone for 'permanent' residency?

Has anyone gone for 'permanent' residency?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Residence Permits

» Read about Work Permits

ozankoys

Message Posted:
09/11/2009 15:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 25 in Discussion

Now we have 6 stamps in our passport we can apply for this - any know how much does it cost & is it worth it?

smithy

Message Posted:
09/11/2009 15:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 25 in Discussion

I was told by the girls in the driving School today, that next year I could apply for Citizenship but not sure of the price,. but wont bother now I am moving back, but wanted my Residency so that I could still come for Holidays and visit friends

crofter

Message Posted:
09/11/2009 15:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 25 in Discussion

The cost for Permanent Residency is around £400 each. We believe that you have to 'report' back to Immigration every two years. No further monies to pay. There do not seem to be any advantages of getting this except that you do not have to renew on a yearly basis.

ozankoys

Message Posted:
09/11/2009 17:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 25 in Discussion

Thanks for info will make enquiries

waddo

Message Posted:
09/11/2009 17:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 25 in Discussion

Smithy,

How long have you lived here and how many stamps in the old passport please? Also did you get permanent residency before you were told you could apply for citizenship? As we are not going back - nothing there to go for anyway and could never afford to start again - we are interested. Many thanks.

nostradamus

Message Posted:
09/11/2009 18:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 25 in Discussion

I enquired a couple of years ago as I have been here for years and they quoted me around 500 quid then. I was told that you had to be here for 15 years now for citizenship which I wouldn't want anyway. I didn't bother even applying for permanent residency as they were asking far too many questions particularly about financial matters and, having jumped through all the hoops, it wasn't guaranteed anyway.

tarry67

Message Posted:
09/11/2009 18:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 25 in Discussion

I tried 4 years ago at 48yrs old to get permanent residency and was told I needed proof of a substantial pension coming in and needed to pay 1500tl, but I was also too young for a pension so was refused. You could once get citizenship after 5 years here but I am sure now it is something like 15 yrs and yes you will either do army service or pay around £3000 to buy out of it so I am led to believe..!! unless you have done military service in another country. Cant see any gain in getting citizenship unless you are going to buy land or start a company etc.

CJtill

Message Posted:
09/11/2009 22:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 25 in Discussion

I believe you can also be called up for army service with permanent residency now.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
09/11/2009 23:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 25 in Discussion

I wouldn't care to put it to the test!

And certainly after what happened to a London TC friend of mine, who can't speak a word of Turkish. At 54 years old, his first visit to his father's homeland and with walking difficulty - very lame, they were going to put him in the army, right or wrong - he couldn't get out of TRNC unless he coughed up three grand Sterling.

Needless to say, he wouldn't be coming back unless it was necessary, which it is, and that's to carry out maintenance work on his 'off plan' villa, which is like a 'wart on the dick' - you can try to sell, but you can't get rid of it, apart from the fact that the (well known) developer has taken a mortgage on the land and it is un-parcelised - i.e., unsaleable.

cyprusairsoft

Message Posted:
10/11/2009 08:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 25 in Discussion

just put up with the yearly hassle as you could loose your fee for permanant or citz and not be accepted anyway

Carndi

Message Posted:
10/11/2009 09:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 25 in Discussion

Have just applied for my Permanent Residency and there are very few extra things to do on the application.

No fee's are paid until a decision is made and you are granted permanent residency. As for the temprary residency, you have to prove you can support yourself whilst here.

Another medical is required but not until accepted.

You haver to go to the main police station in Nicosia first to get copies of your in's and out's and a police check. In's and out's are the number of times you have left the country and for how long and this includes every time you have been over to the south.

Have not been told that you have to report every two years or anything like that.

Everyone we had to deal with were very helpful.

All the forms which had to be filled in had to have stamps put on and we must have spent over £20 on these.

Our temporary residency runs out at the end of January so are going to chase up the ' permanent ' one before that. Will keep you up dated.

ozankoys

Message Posted:
10/11/2009 10:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 25 in Discussion

Hi Carndi

Thanks for this info please keep us informed as to how you get on we can then make a decision as to whether it is worthwhile or not

laptagal

Message Posted:
11/11/2009 00:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 25 in Discussion

We are applying for our first temporary residency in December as our container is due to arrive whilst we are over. How long does temporary residence last before the next application has to be made and are there any rules about how long we can be out of TRNC in between applications?

Thanks.

nurseawful

Message Posted:
11/11/2009 07:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 25 in Discussion

laptagal,

Temporary residency lasts for 1 year before you have to renew. But when you arrive here you will either get a 30 or 90 day visa so you have some time to settle in before starting it..

Chris

laptagal

Message Posted:
12/11/2009 13:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 25 in Discussion

Thanks Chris. We are only over for a week in December (when the container is due to arrive) but will have to return to the UK till we move out permanently in April. I wondered if, having started the process for the purpose of bringing in our furniture, there was then a maximum amount of day permitted to be out of TRNC in the year. We would then have to arrange a brief trip back before April - hope that makes sense.

Thanks

louthlass

Message Posted:
13/11/2009 09:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 25 in Discussion

We have had permanent residency for many years now, and so has our son, but the laws changed last year, and now if you are out of the country for more than 90 days you lose it, and go back and start again. As for citizenship, we were given to understand it is now 25 years before you can apply!! The only advantage seems to be healthcare. If you have sons and grandsons they automatically become eligible for national service if they spend more than 90 days in Kibris in any one year.

As the rules change so frequently, it is always as well to check with immigration, and not take for gospel what you read here.

Hope this helps to clarify a few queries.

uqureshi

Message Posted:
05/02/2011 12:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 25 in Discussion

Though the post is pretty old, it might help others/unregistered members of forum who read it!

http://www.uniset.ca/naty/trnc_en.htm

cyprusairsoft

Message Posted:
05/02/2011 14:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 25 in Discussion

what a load of hogwash

Maz

Message Posted:
05/02/2011 23:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 25 in Discussion

Sorry guys but had confirmed from Immigration this week that Permanent Residency is definitely on hold. We started the procedure a year ago - got most of the paperwork done, and was then told it was pointless going ahead as no perm.res was being given. This decision started late 2009 and is still being discussed. The BRS is still discussing it and I would suggest you ask one of their representatives what progress they have made.

Citizenship seems to have been granted to David Haye, so I would suggest you all train to be a boxer, or walk around in the summer wearing TRNC flag on your shorts and make sure it is seen on TV world wide. That could work.

Otherwise, those of us who thought they were on a path to perm. res and citizenship are now knocked off that path. Also perm res is not very permanent as you are checked every 2 years. But of coiurse, one can now have 2 years. Not sure of the criteria - check. There is a rumour it is for 60 plus,but not sure.

waddo

Message Posted:
06/02/2011 06:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 25 in Discussion

60 plus can ask for (and are normally given) two years temp res at the same price of course. May be a benifit there as the charges go up every year you could end up beating the system slightly if you only go every two years?

scoobydoo

Message Posted:
06/02/2011 08:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 25 in Discussion

Msg 19 - Maz,

Not sure that I can agree with your comment about permanent residency being checked every 2 years, I did hear it may happen but was told it was a rumour only, who knows what the real truth it or whether the government will ultimately change their minds but at the mo they don't check.

My hubby and I have had permanent residency for almost 4 years and have not been rechecked or had to re-apply once during this time.

Maz

Message Posted:
06/02/2011 22:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 25 in Discussion

Good to hear that Scoobydoo, but maybe I heard that it was proposed, but came across to me as fact. Happens here, doens't it. It wasn't a question of reapplying, but just having one's money and health checked. Didn't make sense to me as permanent is permanent, and this would imply that it was permanent on ly as so far as every two years you met certain criteria. Let's hope the gov changed their mind.

You obviously got your permanent residency in before we could.

As to two years - yes one may have it, but of course at twice the price of annual. However, when one considers the petrol and time and running aorund to renew, then one does save some money as well as 'aggro', so worth going for, if you intend to stay.

But certainly for now no permanent applications being considered.

medoc

Message Posted:
06/02/2011 23:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 25 in Discussion

Agree to scoobydoo's message 21. My wife and I have Permanent Residence since 1995 and have since then never been rechecked or had to renew. Military service only applies to citizenship, not P.R.

scoobydoo

Message Posted:
07/02/2011 08:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 25 in Discussion

Maz,

The government will, no doubt about it, change their minds again.

I have come to believe, that whilst I love it here, nothing is 'permanent'!

Maz

Message Posted:
07/02/2011 23:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 25 in Discussion

You are so right, Scoobydoo. Nothing is permanent, including life itself. It is the excitement of waiting for the changes that keeps me going. It is a bit like the stories of years ago 'What Katie Did Next'. I reckon the TRNC Gov changes would make a good book in the future - when the story is finally told and decisions made that are a little more lasting than the recent ones.

So, I have two years temp res to wait and see if I can be permanent. Nice thought. I mean, how 'permanent'; can anyone be!?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.