North Cyprus Tourist Board - Teaching/Lecturing TRNC
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Teaching/Lecturing TRNC

Teaching/Lecturing TRNC

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Schools Posts

PoliticoRon

Message Posted:
09/11/2009 23:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

Is anyone out there able to help? I'm wondering how to get into teaching or lecturing in TRNC. I am currently a University Lecturer in UK, teaching Politics/Philosophy/History in a FE/HE hybrid institution so I teach Scottish Higher, A-Level, Degree and Masters level. As the nature of the industry allows in UK I did not do "Teacher Training" I am educated to MPhil level and reading for a PhD; I also have extensive "in-house" teacher training certificates.

I have sent my CV to GAU and other American Unis in Lefkosa and Famagusta; and visited with printed letters and CVs when I am in TRNC and have never had confirmation of receipt! I would normally put this down to no positions, but whenever I do other business in TRNC with a property agent or lawyer they say the country is "gagging" for English speaking social science lecturers?

Grateful for advice

Ron

charb

Message Posted:
10/11/2009 04:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

It may be the worst time ever to look for a teaching job in NC. The universities were not able to get enough registrations this year; GAU got about 600 new registrations for example. The quota to be filled is about 12 000 in total. So the universities are suffering the global economic crisis + low level of quality + NC being an expensive place to live compared to Turkey. Jobwise, I'd recommend Turkish private universities, but most of them are in Istanbul. Have you considered the university in the south?

Pixie

Message Posted:
10/11/2009 16:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

Dear Politikoron

I recommend you try ODTU north cyprus campus. They are by far the most professıonal university on the island. They also advertise on their website.

HildySmith

Message Posted:
10/11/2009 19:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

Try calling at the college and asking for 'The Dean'

Take your CV with you. also do your homework first - find out what subjects they teach and do your CV to reflect the courses they offer showing your strengths in those courses (they will not want to know about all the other things you do).

Good Luck

PoliticoRon

Message Posted:
12/11/2009 01:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

Thank you all for the advice!

Can I ask a follow-up to Katymakem, but perhaps others know as much! Katy recommended I push my skills on current curriculum, but I had been pushing my EU Politics stuff thinking it would be really marketable over there at this point in the Turkish accession?

Cheers

Ron

AlexF065

Message Posted:
12/11/2009 03:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

I think a TESOL course may also help you inyour quest for an job teaching english

Hippo

Message Posted:
12/11/2009 05:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

-whenever I do other business in TRNC with a property agent or lawyer they say the country is "gagging" for English speaking social science lecturers-

Well they would do, they want to sell you a home, first rule in the TRNC never trust a lawyer or estate agent.

To teach in a school you require a PGCE, but whether they will enforce this anybody knows.

The salary will be at least a third of what you have been used to.

SuperMaids

Message Posted:
12/11/2009 08:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

Hi

I was a English teacher at GAU but got maid redundant in june so its true teaching in North Cyprus at the moment is no good.

Brinsley

Message Posted:
12/11/2009 09:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

Ron

When you say 'sent CV' do you mean by post? If so, that's no guarantee of receipt. Best to personally hand it in to the Personnel/Human Resources Departments in person.

Richard

begonia

Message Posted:
12/11/2009 16:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

message 8...were you really an Enlish teacher ? Maid reduntant ??

MrsSnakes

Message Posted:
12/11/2009 16:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

message 10......redundant not reduntant!!

Maz

Message Posted:
12/11/2009 22:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

Yes, I worked at GAU but wasn't 'maid reduntant' and I wasn't even 'made redundant' - I left, but since then it is far more difficult for any foreigner to get a job in the unis. And don't EVER believe that anyone here is 'gagging' for anything. They say that in other countries(!) even Australia, but the reality of getting a job abroad means there are hoops through which one must jump and the last one should be the purchase of a property. Even if you get a job, it will probably be for only a one year contract at a time.

Keep pushing doors if you wish - METU is a good place, but too late for this year. Maybe next September, but you wil be told that they will not decide until the number of students is certain.

Difficult one. How important is coming to TRNC to teach to you, or have you been misled on what the place is and what it offers. Salaries are abysmal! That IS true!

begonia

Message Posted:
12/11/2009 23:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

Sorry typo ....redundant !

PoliticoRon

Message Posted:
13/11/2009 06:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

Marie - Thanks for that! No, I haven't been misled as part of any sales pitch; I have long had my wee flat in Alsancak, my parents are also property owners over there and they have loved visits to TRNC since the 80s. I realise the general problems of working abroad, I have tried it before and the short term contracts are par for the course in UK too. My subject specialty is Middle East Politics, special emphasis on Israel, but going to work there has many hurdles, but Cyprus is close. I currently teach EU History and Politics and thought it would be popular there? What surprises me is the negative tone coming from many people on this site? My flat is not an investment, I like going there, but was always convinced by the analysis the place was growing?

Cheers

R

Aussie

Message Posted:
13/11/2009 11:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

Whilst not exactly what you are looking for their is an ESL vacancy in this thread

http://www.cyprus44.com/forums/25257.asp

GAU asked for applications around August for this year and generally asked for PHD qualifications but sometimes would accept masters degrees. Its worth trying them all again and resending your CV by email etc.

You need to bear in mind that most of the TRNC qualifications aren't worth the paper their written on with many lectures who have to teach in English barely having beginner or intermediate level English skills and academic standards are almost non existent in most Universities.

Aussie

HildySmith

Message Posted:
13/11/2009 19:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

I understand that the student recruitment is down this year, so it is less likely that the GAU will be starting any new courses unless the funding is already in place and applications have been completed and the staffing and other resources have been set up.

As you are looked for a job you need to find out what courses they teach, which are the most popular and have good student levels (they will not employ a teacher if they have limited number of students). Then apply by handing your CV in and requesting an interview in relation to the courses they offer - not ones they do not offer. Once you get in, then you can work on suggesting expansion of courses available using your skills and qualifications to promote this type of expansion.

HildySmith

Message Posted:
13/11/2009 19:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

Marie B

Sadly a lot of teaching jobs in the UK are on annual contracts now, subject to extensions relevant to funding available.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.