North Cyprus Tourist Board - Gardeners!!! Where to buy WEED KILLER please
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Gardeners!!! Where to buy WEED KILLER please

Gardeners!!! Where to buy WEED KILLER please

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Gardening threads posted so far

MrsSnakes

Message Posted:
14/11/2009 11:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

Any suggestions please where to buy weed killer here? Is there a spray type like 'Roundup'?

I have found one called 'knock out' which you dilute with water but I was not successful when I made it up and used it in a spray bottle!! I hand weed where possible but have a large area of membrane and a thick layer of small stones so it is proving difficult to deal with!!

Many thanks, Mrs Snakes

nurseawful

Message Posted:
14/11/2009 11:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

You can buy at Green Garden and Pet store just as you go into Girne on the left hand side. Just before the big army camp.

adagirl

Message Posted:
14/11/2009 12:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

Is it the oxalis you are thinking of poisoning? I don't like weed killer in my garden, and I just let the oxalis grow. It is actually quite beautiful when in flower, a sea of sulphur yellow. I do pull it (and other types of weed) up from around the shrubs, but because it speads so fast you will need to apply poison very often and will still not eliminate it completely. It makes a good mulch and compost and you can use it in salads (sharp - lemony flavour).

MrsSnakes

Message Posted:
14/11/2009 12:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

Thanks Nurse, I bought the 'knock out' at Green Garden. It seems the only type they sell. Shall try and make it up a bit stronger!!

Hi Adagiirl, It is oxalis and I have removed a lot by hand already. I agree it looks quite pretty especially when it flowers. Where it is impossible to 'weed kill' so close to shrubs I just keep it undercontrol and pull the heads. Have never eaten it but love anything 'lemon' so will try!!

ozankoys

Message Posted:
14/11/2009 13:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

Hi you can buy Roundup here - go up the road between the Telephone Office & Fire Station, go left at the fork there is a garden chemical shop amongst the row of shops on the right hand side with apartments above them

ozankoys

Message Posted:
14/11/2009 13:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

Sorry should have added much more effective to spray when it is sunny!

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
14/11/2009 13:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

There is a small garden shop near the hospital in Girne that sells a fair range of garden chemicals including Round-Up. He also has a good range of seeds/bulbs and other stuff I had trouble getting previously - e.g. rooting hormone, seed trays, leaf shine etc. They are very helpful and good prices too.

I't's on the main road, just before the hospital, as you head out to Catalcoy past the main car park and the courts.

MrsSnakes

Message Posted:
14/11/2009 13:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

Thank you everyone for your imformation. Much appreciated x

adagirl

Message Posted:
14/11/2009 13:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

Don't eat after spraying MrsSnakes!!!

MrsSnakes

Message Posted:
14/11/2009 13:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

Ha ha Adagirl......have

just told Mr Snakes that you could eat them and he turned his nose up at the thought. He hates the weeds and keeps asking me to do something....if I let him loose with the weed killer, there won't be any life form left in the garden!!

adagirl

Message Posted:
14/11/2009 14:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

Oh dear!! He wouldn't approve of me snail picking in the dark with a torch or caterpillar "re-locating" then? I am a real softy in the garden - try not to kill anything!!!

brightlights

Message Posted:
14/11/2009 17:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

Paraquat is available here, under the trade name of Onkaquat, stockist is the little garden centre adjacent to the new Lemar on the coast road towards Chatalkoy

Dian E

adagirl

Message Posted:
14/11/2009 22:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

One of the most dangerous weed killers??????????????? And also wild life killers????????????? PLEASE if you are too lazy to weed or too tight fisted to employ a gardener think about what you are doing!!!! Some weed killers kill everything around them and also polute water (wells) for godssake stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

adagirl

Message Posted:
14/11/2009 22:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

Oh and if you are happy with Paraquat dont forget to get a big supply of lanate as well !! Very good at getting rid of troublesome dogs and cats! You make me sick!!

brightlights

Message Posted:
15/11/2009 16:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

adagirl, Just spotted your reply to my Diana's post.

Get off your soapbox do, Info was asked for here on weedkillers and that is what was given. Don't assume I am either lazy or tightfisted, you are off target on both counts so please keep your ranting to yourself. Paraquat is ideal for spot weeding my ornamental garden. On the troublesome dogs and cats front, thank you for the advice on which poison to use, but I really think a crossbow would be far more humane than poison.

TonyE & Diana E

Sandcastle

Message Posted:
16/11/2009 11:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

Our friends have some kind of weed that has lovely flowers but bit thorns. It has very deep roots and they hate using weed killer because of what you do to the ground.

They have bought a very strong green coloured weed killer that they put on a cloth (whilst wearing rubber gloves) and then wipe the leaves and stems with. Within 3 days it has shrivelled and died. It is then easy to pull up after 5 days.

Dont know what it is called but it was bought from Oasis garden centre in Iskele.

These weeds have to be killed as they have a small enclosed garden with young kids. The thorns are very bad and pulling these weeds up is not an option. The left behind root just regrows straight away.

At least this way there is less damage to the earth and new plants can be planted almost straight away as the earth is not contaminated. Being able to plant new plants help stops the regrowth of the weeds and helps bring back local wild life.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.