North Cyprus Tourist Board - changes to the TRNC tourism industry
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > changes to the TRNC tourism industry

changes to the TRNC tourism industry

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
21/11/2009 13:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 44 in Discussion

What one thing could be done to boost the TRNC tourist industry? What one change would you make?

Please suspend any criticism. Positive comments only. Keep the frame of, that perhaps anything might be possible.......

flightholiday

Message Posted:
21/11/2009 13:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 44 in Discussion

Mark,

I speak as a tour operator who started the business to try to sup[port North Cyprus and I would say one thing is just not enough (there are at least 10 points).

The most important is improve the overall PR both for operators the country

Tom

http://www.iah-holidays.co.uk

Earlybird

Message Posted:
21/11/2009 13:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 44 in Discussion

Flight prices that are sensible would be a good start!

smithy

Message Posted:
21/11/2009 13:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 44 in Discussion

Direct Flights would boost the tourist industry

Pipie

Message Posted:
21/11/2009 13:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 44 in Discussion

Address the rubbish issue .

stop the pushy waiters down in Girne harbour.

Address the issue direct flights to TRNC.

Do i get slapped legs for 3 suggested changes ?

Kambylikid

Message Posted:
21/11/2009 13:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 44 in Discussion

We already have direct flights! It's NON STOP flights we need.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
21/11/2009 14:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 44 in Discussion

RE msg 1, ilovecyprus: (...) What one thing could be done to boost the TRNC tourist industry? What one change would you make? (...)

=> I'd make it impossible for foreigners/expats to enter the TRNC - if they used Larnaca or Paphos as their port of entry (so: Ercan and preferrably with CTA).

=> Visiting the South: OK. But no more shopping there. TRNC doesn't need fine words, but simple solidarity.

girne 29

Message Posted:
21/11/2009 14:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 44 in Discussion

Said it many times,

Headhunt some of those responsible for Turkeys remarkable achievement in tourism.

From 10million --- 40million in 10years,and is now 8th in the world for tourists.

Pay above average salaries to entice them from Turkey,though I am sure some would find the challenge stimulating anyway.Part of their job description would be to recruit their own staff ,as they would have no local connections ,this would be on merit alone.

Failing that ,at least ensure that people employed to run Tourism ,should have a proven track record in that area.

Lastly reinstate flights to Northern Ireland and Scotland, 12-15 hours is a non starter for most people but especially those with children.For these people direct flights is irrelevant as a saving of 45 mins on that length of flight doesnt mean much,If it doesnt pan out then can be stopped later.

Lastly,ask the passport control guys at arrival to crack a smile,The passport guys on departures seem to manage it.

Suffolk

Message Posted:
21/11/2009 14:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 44 in Discussion

Maybe more targetted advertising - of reasonably priced packaged holidays, promoting that it is not Euro zone currency, better value for money with the YTL- agree the industry could do with a boost - but think a lot of current visitors to NC would hate for it to become a Playa de las Americas.

Aysesdaddy

Message Posted:
21/11/2009 16:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 44 in Discussion

First impressions count so start with C.T.A. Get them to smarten there act up. People don't mind paying as long as they get value money. I also think that it should be one price for all in the tourist attractions. Slipped a B.O.G.O.F in sorry

ROBIN HOOD

Message Posted:
21/11/2009 17:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 44 in Discussion

Offer quality and value for money. Put prices on goods in shops. What feels worse than being ripped off? Feeling like you've been ripped off!

jinyx

Message Posted:
21/11/2009 17:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 44 in Discussion

D. Crusader, Re msg 7, seeing that 50% of tourists to trnc use the airports in the south to come here, stopping entry from the south would halve tourist income at a stroke!. Ercan simply cant cope, what with the low number of airlines serving here. Not the most sensible suggestion, I think!

Re msg 1 , how can you discuss anything without allowing criticism ?

NanaJan

Message Posted:
21/11/2009 18:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 44 in Discussion

Need better PR for sure since most people do not consider holidaying in Northern Cyprus still thinking of it as some sort of war zone with delapidated buildings and not much else. Need to get the new images out into the wider world of a positive nature.

Need direct flights as well since that would help business.

Push the fact that the Euro is not the currency and so better value for UK residents.

Get some special deals on to encourage people to book around the New Year for the summer holidays.

Hector

Message Posted:
21/11/2009 18:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 44 in Discussion

How about making life easier for those expats who have or might think about buying property? If the TRNC government were reallly bothered about increasing tourism (& I'm not convinced they are whilst the country is bankrolled by Turkey) , then they must put right the wrongs & injustice so far inflicted. The positive message about the virtues of the TRNC would soon start flowing across the world.

Hector

Message Posted:
21/11/2009 19:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 44 in Discussion

How does this help the tourist industry?

http://cyprus44.com/forums/26491.asp

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
22/11/2009 12:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 44 in Discussion

keep the ideas flowing

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
22/11/2009 12:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 44 in Discussion

these are some ideas being taken up in the south (borrowed from the cyprus mail)

"These measures included a VAT cut from eight to five per cent for the hotel industry, bolstering domestic tourism, cutting landing charges and scrapping overnight stay charges at hotels"

"On the sidelines, the minister said the government aimed at maintaining the number of tourist arrivals from Britain but at the same time it targeted the Russian, Arabic, German and Scandinavian markets".

Traveller0392

Message Posted:
22/11/2009 13:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 44 in Discussion

.... I believe the latest slogan by the TRNC government is 'Never ending sunshine' ..... hardly an award winner but never the less, an attempt at hitting the mass tourism market. I like the Australian one a few years ago ... which was....."Where the Hell are You!" .....

If you are looking to ask the question about who is responsible for making Turkey so popular over the last 10 years .... that it is down to one particular person, this is too difficult a question to answer, see Pearce/Plog for further discussion on tourist typologies and motivation.

Question is..... do you use the stick or the carrot? ... ...........starting with a look at......."What is the image of North Cyprus for the British holiday maker?" ..... I suggest that before spending a lot of money and effort for attracting tourists is decide what type of tourists they need to be looking for in the first place to oraganise effective marketing strategy.

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
29/01/2010 18:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 44 in Discussion

I wonder if Hotel bookings are down now that the Orams decision has been made?

newlad

Message Posted:
29/01/2010 18:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 44 in Discussion

Traveller,

"escape the euro zone" is one that is used as well,

Paul.

Hector

Message Posted:
29/01/2010 19:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 44 in Discussion

"I wonder if Hotel bookings are down now that the Orams decision has been made?"

I think the threat to sue 60 EU tourists staying at the Dome is a bigger problem if word spreads. Doesn't matter if it's just huff & puff. I wouldn't take the risk of finding out.

Lambousa Gordon

Message Posted:
29/01/2010 20:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 44 in Discussion

First off: address underlying fundamentals.

Provisioning, utilities and the tax burdens imposed are far higher than our actual competition: Turkey & Egypt.

Remove red-tape.

Make it far easier for non-TRNC citizens to get employment here.

Then we might be able to compete with other non-EU Mediterranean destinations.

Sideways

Message Posted:
29/01/2010 21:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 44 in Discussion

Dutch has it wrong.

More passengers use Larnaca to come to the North, than Ercan and go to the South.

The reason they use Larnaca is that it's cheaper and with better airlines.

My family use it because it's £50 p.p cheaper with scheduled airlines from Heathrow and it's quicker.

Cut the flight prices and when they can, make them non-stop.

Pete.

flightholiday

Message Posted:
29/01/2010 22:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 44 in Discussion

msg 2 still counts & I do have a little experience to back it up

Pete - I would like to see the figures for Larnaca / Ercan before you make that assumption.

I guess you have not tried Pegasus or Turkish recently or you might think that they leave a lot of the south flights looking shoddy.

Hotel & operator bookings are down NOT because of Orams - it will make a small extra difference if any.

To be frank about it; unless you are interested in property in North Cyprus you will probably never know about the Orams or Aga either.

LondonCypriot

Message Posted:
29/01/2010 22:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 44 in Discussion

Maybe create an Bridge between Turkey and North Cyprus

Blackpoolfan

Message Posted:
29/01/2010 23:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 44 in Discussion

Easy EQUALITY one rule for all, oh and get the TRNC government to get their fingers out of their a*se wake up and smell the coffee

Jeannie

Message Posted:
29/01/2010 23:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 44 in Discussion

I can't believe how many times I (and others) have said this. Turkey has a brilliant tourist industry. They are also non-euro and I believe this year will do even better than previous years because of this. It's been suggested before and I have no doubt it will be suggested again, but, to me, it's a very simple solution.

BRING OVER SOME TURKS IN THE TOURIST INDUSTRY - WHO KNOW WHAT TOURISM IS ALL ABOUT.

Sorry for the capital letter use - but, it will NEVER HAPPEN. It just reflects the whole bloody, head in the sand, attitude. Unless you are someone's cousin, three times removed, who is a dentist, etc. etc. you will never be given a job. I am speaking here from experience; I knew someone quite well who was appointed to the Tourist Board (a TC) and he ended up giving it all up as a bad job.

Rant over - but it makes my blood boil and has done for many years.

J

Maz

Message Posted:
29/01/2010 23:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 44 in Discussion

I don't think it matters what ports are used to get people in to the north - in fact it gives them a clue as to how expensive Euroland is!

I always tgravel Ercan cos I can't afford the huge taxi fare to get to Larnaca, and I like to support local, but if people are coming for a holiday,l as long as they come, then welcome them which ever way.

However, from the friends I know in the travel trade, the one thing that is lacking is professional P.R. There is not enough advertising anywhere, and this place should be sold as being what it is ! Yes, the beaches can be dirty, and there is overbuilding, but the real Cyprus is magic - the beaches, the archaeological sites, the friendly hospitality, the grandeur of the mountains and the timelessness of certain areas; the history in the castles, and so much more.

Rip offs happen in many places, but if all else is good, it doesn't matter, so, WHAT WOULD I CHANGE - P.R., P.R., P.R. AND THEN P.R.

Hector

Message Posted:
29/01/2010 23:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 44 in Discussion

Start looking after the archaeological sites and make them places people really want to visit.

Stop charging to enter Girne Castle to encourage visitors.

Clean up the roads, paths, ravines, beaches from litter and dumped builders rubbish & cars. Initial impressions count.

Educate shops, bars, restaurants & hotels that ripping people off is a short term financial gain but long term disaster as is being borne out.

Ensure that the emergency services have an English speaker on duty at all times.

Hector

Message Posted:
29/01/2010 23:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 44 in Discussion

Sunday Times Travel section 17.1.10 'Turkey's bargain days are over as prices soar'

Unfortunately I can't find a link to the article.

Basically the article says that since bookings for Turkey have risen by 40% over the past 12 months, with travellers searching for better value.

As a result, there has been a huge increase in the prices resorts are charging for holiday basics. The Holiday Money Report, produced by the foreign exchange arm of the Post Office reveals that the increase in visitor visitor numbers has led to rampant inflation in Turkish resorts, with day to day costs rising by almost 44% in the past year.

Most dramatic rise is the cost of eating out. Dinner for 2 averages £58.14 - more than £10 higher than the Italian average of £47.33. Whilst costs in Turkey have soared, in other Med destinations the law of supply & demand have worked in the opposite direction.

Hector

Message Posted:
29/01/2010 23:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 44 in Discussion

Spain, Portugal and Greece, all eurozone countries, have seen falls in visitor numbers - and corresponding reductions in the cost of holiday basics in resorts.

The price of the basket of purchases in the survey have fallen 30% in Spain, 15% in Portugal and 10% in Greece.

Accommodation costs are not included in the survey but the indications are that here, too, Turkey is no longer the out-and-out bargain it was. A 3 bed villa in high season, booked through owners Direct, averages £866 on the Costa Brava, compared with £910 in the Turkish resort of Kalkan.

Jeannie

Message Posted:
29/01/2010 23:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 44 in Discussion

Hector - of course Turkey are going to put up their prices. They must have adopted the TRNC attitude

We've been visiting TRNC for many years and, basically, still love it. However, as a small example, we've been looking at a winter holiday for later this year. An example - 14 nights in a 5 star Thai Spa hotel - OK bed and breakfast - absolute luxury - from £1125 per person. Now, you mention £910 in Kalkan - not a lot of difference, really, especially when you compare the cost of living in Thailand.

Not an ideal comparison, perhaps, but............................

Hector

Message Posted:
29/01/2010 23:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 44 in Discussion

Yes I agree, the 'screw them for every TL today & forget tomorrow' greedy attitude appears to have reared it's ugly head.

Hector

Message Posted:
29/01/2010 23:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 44 in Discussion

Oh, and I fancy that Thailand holiday.

Maz

Message Posted:
30/01/2010 00:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 44 in Discussion

Personally I would go to Thailand, cos I love it, but for those who don't want to travel that far, N.Cyhprus could be a good choice.

India is cheap too, as is Sri Lanka, and Malaysia, but again it is a long time in the plane. It all depends what people want in a holiday.

But greed does ruin resorts. Silly Turkey - but people don't seem to realise that greed can kill tghe golden goose.

Oleander

Message Posted:
30/01/2010 00:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 44 in Discussion

Kyrenia is said to be the most popular spot in the TRNC for tourists. Last summer, two of us eating at the first restaurant on the harbourside as you come down from the Castle:

2 G&Ts when we sat down.

1 Spag Bol and 1 Spag Carbonara

1 portion garlic bread

1 bottle house white wine.

88 euros.

Hardly a bargain.

TheSaints

Message Posted:
30/01/2010 01:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 44 in Discussion

My neice works for a UK high street travel agency she told me last year when the Cyprus figures were down she told me today that the 2010 bookings for Cyprus are down by 83% that is a very big drop, they are getting more enquiries about the north though and are sending reps over to look at hotels, local restraunts etc that is all she told me so I can not comment any further.

littlejohn

Message Posted:
30/01/2010 03:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 44 in Discussion

Repatriate Brit ex-pats !

Isn't that what most of you are suggesting should happen to immigrants in the UK.

Happened to be in the Courtyard one evening when the typical bulldog brit announced that the reason he left UK was because of too many "wogs" in the UK.

We all know where Mo and his staff originate from !

Shouldn't tar all with the same brush but you are generally a load of arrogant, whinging,jumped up individuals who have done the same to Cyprus( as a whole) as you claim immigrants are doing to UK.

Trouble is you have already spoilt a lovely little island - and can't see the damage you've done.

Just drive along the coast from Girne toward Kantara !!Or Limassol in any direction!

Perhaps the older lot in Karaman will understand where I am coming from.

Oleander

Message Posted:
30/01/2010 23:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 44 in Discussion

Saints - two years ago in late August, when it was deathly quiet in Limassol it was VERY busy in the new Bafra Artemis Resort. It was packed. I didn't notice it particularly busy anywhere else along that side of the coast, but then it is always much quieter there than on the Kyrenia side.

Lilli

Message Posted:
30/01/2010 23:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 44 in Discussion

oleander resorts ;ike that will be busy. Its owned by a very rich turkish family to attract the high rollers for the casino. This government need a good tourist board with good PR and they need to listen to proposals. Years ago when we first came here every shop or restaurant or car hire tried to sell you a villa. Now we all know the outcome of that. I have to agree with Littlejohns comments as it is seen day in day out here sadly Oleander if you had had that meal wityh us the cost would have been 65tl, with extra bits thrown in. I know we do not have the view but an authentic italian chef xxx

petez

Message Posted:
30/01/2010 23:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 44 in Discussion

They need to increase peoples awareness of North Cyprus, use new media on the internet

Eg facebook and twitter to promote what North Cyprus has to offer.. at the very least they need some sort of prescence..

Advertising has a very wide reach these days, there are many ways to do it.. and not all of them are as expensive as the ads the south paid for at every premiership football match a few weeks ago.

I don't really see the tourism board here joining the band, never mind bothering to blow their own trumpet!

walkerscott

Message Posted:
30/01/2010 23:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 44 in Discussion

Last year, as a single person, i was allowed to book into hotels without a singles supplement!

I am told that this is no longer the case as the majority of hotels are doing so well that they don't need to drop the singles supplement anymore!

One way of improving the tourist trade would be to treat the singles community with respect and without ripping them off! Another way is to get more cheaper flights in and out of Ercan.

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
31/01/2010 00:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 44 in Discussion

I have two holidays booked for this year in Turkey. Cesme in June B&B for 2 £680 for 2 weeks been 8 times before so know what the Hotel is like.

Yalikavak in September Apartment for 2 £640 for 2 weeks stayed 3 times before. Transport from the airport to accommodation included. Both excellent.

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
31/01/2010 00:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 44 in Discussion

We find it more expensive to eat out in North Cyprus when we are there Christmas & New Year than we do when in Turkey, that's rubbish £58 for dinner for 2, we can eat out for 1/2 of that and always in Turkey you get offered fruit and a coffee free.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.