North Cyprus Tourist Board - Giving Birth in TRNC
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Giving Birth in TRNC

Giving Birth in TRNC

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

african

Message Posted:
30/11/2009 10:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

Hello,me and my fiancee are expecting our baby here in north cyprus,we are nigerian students and i really liek it down here,,can anyone let me know the citizenship of our child when we have him early next year.i have tried my best to get infos on the internet but its not just working...good response would be appreciated.

Regards

StGeorgeI

Message Posted:
30/11/2009 11:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

If you are both Nigerian then your child will also be Nigerian. However you will need to get your TRNC birth certificate from Lekfkosa (your doctor should advise you on this) and then register it with your local consulate - here if they have one or in your home country.

This is how it works for UK citizens so I am pressuming it is the same for all foreign nationals.

You may also be able to get TRNC citizenship for your child as he will have a TRNC birth certificate, but be aware that if it's a boy he would then be liable for National service when he turns 18.

Good luck with the pregnancy and birth...

G

AllyTT

Message Posted:
30/11/2009 13:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

Your baby will automatically qualify for TRNC citizenship, as for the national service mentioned by StGeorgeI he'll still be liable for this whether you take out a KKTC kimlik card or not.

airy____fairy

Message Posted:
30/11/2009 14:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

Allytt - i was under the impression a baby born here didnt automatically get citizenship - do you know this for a fact as we are expecting our first baby in March and would like to be aware of all the facts.

simbas

Message Posted:
30/11/2009 14:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

But if both parents are on student visa's the baby will be Nigerian , and will not be eligable for citizenship as they would be expected to return to Nigeria after their course , unless they change their present visa for ?

TinLondon

Message Posted:
30/11/2009 16:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

I'm confused..... I have a friend who has been living in North Cyprus for the last 3-4 years and are expecting their first baby, both parents are UK born to Cypriot Turkish parents and UK passport holders, both parents live and work in NC with residency permits. Does this automatically mean that the baby will be a UK national or will he/she be a KKTC national?

StGeorgeI

Message Posted:
30/11/2009 17:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

AllyTT - I'm afraid that info. is incorrect. If you are both foreign Nationals living here on a study visa or temporary residency then your son is NOT liable for National service. 100%

However, it is my understanding that you can apply for Citizenship with a TRNC birth certificate if you wish to and then he would be liable for National service. I am 99% sure of this for UK citizens, but for Nigeria I am not sure.

TinLondon - if your friends both have turkish Cypriot parents then they are also classed as Turkish Cypriots and so will their child. However, they can also get their UK citizenship no problem from the consulate in Lefkosa as both parents are also UK citzens. If the father (your friend) has both turkish Cypriot parents, although born in the UK, I would have thought he would also be liable for National service?!!??

G

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.