North Cyprus Tourist Board - how to protect your washing machine from lime scale build up
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > how to protect your washing machine from lime scale build up

how to protect your washing machine from lime scale build up

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

basheer

Message Posted:
06/12/2009 17:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

just wondered what you guys use to protect your machines from lime scale buildup,my heat element must be full of lime scale , my wife uses dish washer softener just need to know before I encounter repair bills the bosch washing machine is 2 yrs old but only used when in lapta maybe used it for approx 6 months the reason is because my boiler has had 2 elements to date the cause being lime build up, i installed gas water heating which is fantastic so do have options for hot water here in lapta i am told the water is very hard thanks

flowerfairy

Message Posted:
06/12/2009 17:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

basheer, try adding some normal washing soda chrystals to your machines, it does help.

This was on the market long before all the expensive limescale preventatives. You can get them from Mr pound.

smithy

Message Posted:
06/12/2009 17:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

Flower fairy you have answered the question that I have been asking where to buy soda crystals, I hadnt even thought of Mr. Pound

Thanks

Ballyboffin

Message Posted:
06/12/2009 17:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

If you are in the UK there is a thing called 'Ecoball' from Lakeland. It is a green rubber ball that you put in the drum and in the cutlery thing in the dishwasher. They are MAGIC ! Apparantly they attract the limescale which would attach to the elements. Not cheap at about £15 but they last forever.

There is even a version that you place in the cistern.

Also from them you can buy an industrial limescale remover which you are supposed to use every three months.

basheer

Message Posted:
06/12/2009 17:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

thanks for the infor i shall act on that staight aways

bridie

Message Posted:
06/12/2009 20:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

Thanks flower fairy, I have been looking for ages for the old soda crystals.

Magbs

Message Posted:
06/12/2009 22:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

First, as a general cleaning procedure, run a cycle of hot water along with a bottle of vinegar to loosen up soap and grime.

Then, use salt of lemon powder, aka citric acid a well known water softener. Just put a glass of it once a month or two into the soap dispenser or straight in the drum. Then run a washing cycle at high temperature. Needless to say - no clothes ;)

smithy

Message Posted:
06/12/2009 22:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

Good Tips thanks

scruff

Message Posted:
06/12/2009 22:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

I bought some calgon & used it once or twice. I've never bothered since. My washing machine is an Arcelik circa 2001 & is still going strong. Never needed a repair yet.

I do about 3 loads a week. It's a cold fill, so it must have an element to heat the water from cold at this time of the year. It still works okay. I lived in a very hard water area in the UK. & likewise never had a problem with a washing machine failing because an element was faulty. It was magnesium & calcium there & it's lime here. I only ever wash on 40 or 50 degrees C. I never even use a 60 degree wash now. Maybe this is why I don't have any problems. My last machine in the UK. was also a cold fill only.

racoonchic

Message Posted:
07/12/2009 06:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

we have water softeners that will reduce the scale by up to 70% call me on 05338384636 for more info

rigsby

Message Posted:
07/12/2009 11:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

I put Calgon into our machine,set it at the hottest temp with no washing in.After it had finished i took filter out.Result full of limescale,used Calgon ever since.

flightholiday

Message Posted:
07/12/2009 12:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

Look in on http://www.softcleanwater.co.uk - this web site and company was originaly set up by IAH with export to TRNC in mind about 5 years ago. (We have sound knowledge as I have worked in related industries for at least 12/15 years.)

At present softcleanwater have one outlet (who has some stock) - Zini at the builders merchant Oksa Tikaret in Lapta (near the post office) his number is 0533 860 2577 or 0392 821 1182

The products we sell are from Culligan one of the worlds leading suppliers of water softening and filtration products who own Liff, Waterside and Aquadial which are all well known UK companies.

To avoid import dues many clients buy from us in the UK directly and then take over the equipment or friends bring it over as a present.

If you want any assistance contact us in the UK by email or Skype IAH / flightholiday.

Or just look into http://www.softcleanwater.co.uk where you will find the retail prices are heavily discounted.

Tom

Aussie

Message Posted:
07/12/2009 12:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

I notice most of the washing powder brands here seem to indicate that they have ingredients to combat lime scale. Look for the pictures or writing confirming this, the current packet of DAX powder I have says there is no need to use additional products for lime scale.

Does anyone know if such claims on most washing powders are justified ?

Aussie

everon

Message Posted:
07/12/2009 13:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

I always think if you buy the brands local to the country you are in, they are made to counteract the problem, I have been using local washing/dishwasher products for 6yrs now, no problems at all x

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
07/12/2009 13:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

Calgon................

flightholiday

Message Posted:
07/12/2009 13:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

We started SoftCleanWater because we saw the number of small hotels who had to replace elements in water heaters and also parts even whole washing machines on a very regular basis.

They use local washing products in washing machines etc and have tried some of the expensive "chemical" solutions to little benefit, whole house solutions in the TRNC are difficult and the more economic and eco-friendly systems are best used on running water.

With regard to local products I know that there is a Culligan Distributor down south and they sell a large amount of product.

(I have also heard that their replacement filters etc are not Culligan products and have names filed off etc - this is hearsay so I do not know if it is true or not but going by the life span thyat ki was told about it might be a fact.)

scruff

Message Posted:
07/12/2009 16:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

Hi IAH

I don't dispute what you are saying. I finally had a Waterside softener fitted in the UK. in my last house & it was very good but the hardness was different than it is here. In the UK. where I lived, all the taps were corroded with the scale which was like concrete. the softener stopped this happening. However the same thing doesn't happen with the taps here. The scale gets trapped in the washing machine & taps filters. We regularly take both the tap filters & the washing machine filter off & descale them with local kettle descaler.

I have never used anything whatsoever in the washing machine (except calgon on 2 or 3 occasions). So why is my 8 year old washing machine still heating the water?

Rigsby you say you checked the washing machine filter after using calgon in an empty machine & the found scale in the filter ? Had you checked the filter before giving it the calgon treatment? I have no doubt it was already there. You need to clean the filter every 3 mths ideally.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.