North Cyprus Tourist Board - solicitors
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > solicitors

solicitors

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Lawyer Discussions posted so far

» Law Firms on Cyprus44 Business Directory

schnib

Message Posted:
25/05/2008 18:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

Hi - thought we would contribute and also seek your views. We signed our contract to purchase a place in Tatlisu, Builder is Kibris Insaat Sti Ltd, Estate Agents are Fraser and Co., Advocate is Naomi Mehmet - everything seems to be ok (obviously different from our purchasing experience in UK). Can anyone comment on the following -

We have been asked by Naomi Mehmet to pay all legal fees up front. We have paid just over half the legal fees, plus stamp duty, registration and admin fees and we suggested that the remainder of legal fees are paid when we make final payment for property to builders. Despite this we are being asked to forward the full legal fees as they will be unable to carry out the full conveyancing procedure on our behalf - is this standard practice in TRNC?

We would welcome any comments - thanks in advance.

joandjelly

Message Posted:
25/05/2008 18:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

I cannot answer your question directly but we paid our legal fees upfront in 2004 and we are still receiving a service from our Advocate. A friend has recently purchased an apartment and is using the same firm as us and she has only been asked for 50% upfront. My suggestion to you would be to request confirmation in writing from Naomi Mehmet of exactly (point by point) what service will be provided for the fee and confirmation that they will continue to represent you in all aspects of your property purchase (e.g. resolve any issues that arise etc) until such time that you receive your kocan, bearing in mind that this could be many years down the line.

mountbatten

Message Posted:
25/05/2008 20:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

Hello schnib,i have just been asked to pay up front £1400,which i have done,have not had any reply to my emails asking what i get for this .

paulnicholas

Message Posted:
25/05/2008 20:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

Hi schnib and welcome to the forum,you may hear a lot of opinions about Naomi but i have been dealing with her for the last three years and have found everyone in her company to be honest and very professional,it is quite normal to pay your legal fee's up front,although people may tell you the legal system is similar to the u.k it is not,make sure you don't release any payments to your builder until you are happy the work has been carried out,so my advice is check everything you possibly can and don't take anyone's work for anything,and if you are unsure of anything ask your solicitor first.

Best of luck Paul.

Linus

Message Posted:
25/05/2008 20:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

Hi Schnib

I to am currently using Naomi and it appears fairly standard practice in NC to pay upfront. I am getting very godd service. Property contract signed and registered within about 8 weeks

Good luck

Linus

schnib

Message Posted:
26/05/2008 12:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

Thanks all for your advice. We feel more reassured now. Best wishes to everyone.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.